Rubber Bit Port

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hello,

Several people have so kindly offered many options for me to try with my mare, Desi-Lu, that insists on driving with her tongue over her bit. In hopes of somehow retraining her not to.

DesiLuR-L.jpg

Most recently, a friend suggested a "Rubber Bit Port", and so far, this seems like something we might consider trying on her. Before we do though, we'd like to learn a little more about it, hoping those of you here with more experience might can provide your experiences with it.

Here is a photo of one that she sent me:

RubberBitPort.jpg

I'm not sure how to correctly apply one. Has anyone ever tried this? How did you apply it? How has it worked for you?

I'd be grateful for any help.
default_wub.png

Appreciatively,

Tanya

I have never seen one like this. When you said rubber port, I thought you were talking about a rubber covered snaffle bit. You can get some flavored wrap that once it is in your horses mouth for the first time it turns rubbery. I think it comes in apple flavor. I think I would try warping your snaffle bit first. Also, are you sure your bit is fitting your horse properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen them in Mini size, but have used one on a full size horse. How did I put it on the bit? WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY!
default_biggrin.png
You set the thing on top the bit, then take the little loop at the bottom, bend it round the bit and then stretch it up and slip it over the "port" & pull it down to the base of the port. It's now wrapped tightly around the bit and sits up on top like a big soother. be careful, it takes a good lot of pulling and stretching to get that little loop fit up over the top of the "port". As I recall, I came close to hurting myself when it slipped & I plowed myself in the face with the pliers! soaking the the rubber in hot water helps some, not enough.

However, if that is a full size horse one you've got I don't think I would use it on a mini, that will surely be a whole mouthful of rubber for a little wee horse, and I don't think it will work well at all. Maybe there are Mini ones available, but I haven't come across them and wouldn't waste money on one if I did.

I was not happy with the way my Morgan responded to the rubber port & soon got rid of it.

Thank you Minimor, for sharing your experience. I'm not sure if this is a "mini" one or not, or if they even make them for minis. I definately wouldn't use a full size one on her though, LOL.
default_wink.png
This was just one of many suggestions I've received, and was just looking on feedback from those with experience with it, so I could learn more about it before trying it. From your experience, so far though, I think I might keep looking into other options for now.
default_yes.gif
Thanks so much for all your help.
default_wub.png

Katien, can you tell me more about the flavored bit wrap too, please? Also, yes, we have sought advice from our vet as well as a few local professionals in driving, and they have said her bit fits her well, and her headstall is comfortably adjusted. She's really quite satisified and offers no resistance at all when we drive her...so long as she can have her tongue where "she" wants it. The only time she ever gives even the slightest objection is when we try to put her tongue where "we" want it, LOL.

Tanya, I had all sorts of people suggest that rubber port for the one mare of mine. I have to think maybe these things work well for some people (or at least some people think they work well on their horses
default_wink.png
) but when I think about it, I don't know of one single person that has actually used one. Of those that recommended the thing to me, all were people that thought they were supposed to work well, but none had actually ever used one.

The device I still like the best is a strap over the nose, and tied up to the crown piece to lift the bit up in the mouth, off of the tongue. That has worked very well for me on several horses with the same problem as yours, though my horses were all greenies that I was just starting, so none of them had a long term habit. This way when you use the lines pressure is applied to the nose as well as the mouth--for a horse that dislikes tongue pressure, this suits very well because it takes away most of the tongue pressure. I think your mare would respond much better to this than she did to having her mouth tied shut with the cavesson--that is just uncomfortable in so many ways, as of course you probably remember I have said before.
default_smile.png

i've found flash nosebands help with this problem because they aren't able to open their mouths as much to get the tongue over the bit. Not many people use them on mini's but being from a very strong dressage background i've used them a lot of large and small and helps teach them to have a more quiet mouth. it would be easy enough to make a attachment for your bridle. your welcome to PM me if you'd like about how to do it.

I used the rubber port on an Arab mare- drop it in boiling water for five mins and it goes on easy!!!

The mare did NOT like it at all, went potty when she found she could NOT get her tongue over!!

I did what Minimor is suggesting in the end and used the bootlace...you do need a jointed bit for that and the port will not work on a jointed bit...the other suggestion I have, that I have used with riding horses, is an old dog chain hung in the mouth...NOT attached to reins and on a separate headstall, not too loose, either, but it perplexes them and takes their minds off the bit and working at it.

Please do not tie her mouth shut- she could bite her tongue off, since this is such a long term problem, there will be no short term answer.

Using a Flash is a good idea when training, as a preventative, but I really do not think it will work in this case, as a cure.

Good Luck, keep us posted!!!

Oh, does she do it if you leave her in the stall, or walk her out, in an open bridle and not driving???

Thank you everyone, I had no idea so many different options were even "out there" for this. I'm so grateful for everyone's great advice. I am learning so much.
default_yes.gif

Minimor, do you have a photo of how this strap over the nose works? I keep envisioning this as similar to the overcheck. It must be something different though, but I'm not understanding fully the logistics of it. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate? You are welcome to email me privately if you prefer. My email address is: [email protected]

Boinky, same for the flash noseband. I'm not sure what that is, or how it works. Please do send me more detail and information on how to apply this and how it works.

Thank you rabbit, she does this from the moment you put the bridle on, while just standing around or driving. She takes the bit perfectly willingly, then just finaggles with it till her tongue is over and from there, she's always "good to go". She doesn't thrash around or anything like that, in effort to put her tongue over, she just wiggles her tongue till it's over and prefers to keep it there.

Thanks again so much to all of you for all your help!

Over the years, at times, I've even tried to offer her "training sessions" where I'd spend greath lengths in just taking the bridle off and put it back on, making sure her tongue was under, doing this several times "thinking" I was "showing" her to keep her tongue under. Without fail, every time, she would promptly finaggle it right back over, LOL. I've then tried different bits, doing the same. No matter what I've tried so far, nothing seems to work.

I remember back when I was working her out on the race track along with the "big SB's", and she would always have her tongue over and out the side of her face (much like how the SB's do when their tongue is tied down). The SB folks would always jokingly, but fondly, call her "The Little Engine That Could", with her tongue over and out, and here she is trucking right along in her little twinkle toes mini trot, while they all (the big SB's) zoom by us, and her looking like she's saying to herself "I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN" as she raced off after them, LOL!

Why don't you just tie her tongue???

I have done it to help with my colt and it works fine for me.

Why don't you just tie her tongue???

I have done it to help with my colt and it works fine for me.
Hi Rob,

Actually, I have. It does work...for the during the time it's being tied. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped with actually helping her to "get it" that I'm trying to show her to keep her tongue under the bit, without having to be tied down. Can you show in driving with a tongue tie? If that's permissable, I would most definately just let her keep "her way" when we're just out joy driving, and just tie it for when I "HOPE" to someday "show" her in driving. I don't know if that's allowed or not though.
default_unsure.png

There are no rules in the AMHR/ASPC rulebook about tying a tongue. I have seen exhibitors do it, and I myself have done it.

so if it's not in the rulebook saying you can't then it's legal? (ie. would it be legal to use a flash?).

How are those puppies doing? My litters due tomorrow! Hoping she really goes tonight or tomorrow since i have to go out of state friday/saturday for a show! lol If she doens't go today or tomorrow she might be whelping on the fly! lol

I am sure you could use a flash also, I will double check the rules on that one.

The puppies are INCREDIBLE. We need to get new pictures of them up, they are growing up to be amazing amazing dogs...........very pleased.

There are no rules in the AMHR/ASPC rulebook about tying a tongue. I have seen exhibitors do it, and I myself have done it.
Really?
default_new_shocked.gif
YAYYY!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
EUREKA!
default_thumbup.gif

That's IT then, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif

So, I'm going to work her some more now, with the tongue tie, and OMG, dare I dream???
default_risa8.gif

default_new_multi.gif
Of HOPEFULLY getting to SHOW her at the next upcoming show in Ocala, next month?
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Thank you so much Rob, and to Boinky too, I'm going to try and see how she does with a flash as well.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back