Round Penning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy

Reaction score
Today my mom and I tried to round pen her yearling gelding, Rhett. He wasn't grasping the idea. Instead, he decided he was going to kick the bag attached to the lunge whip. Coincidentally, I had Belle, my mare, outside of the round pen eating grass. I started to run around the outside with Belle. Rhett really liked running with someone else, so we decided to put Belle in there with Rhett. Belle is an old pro and new exactly what she was doing. Rhett finally caught on and looked like he was having so much fun!

Here's a clip of his first time round penning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoitM174MI

Makayla

That's a neat video!!! Both horses look very nice
default_smile.png

What a fantastic idea having Belle show him what is expected!!!!! Good job you two!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
They both look like they are having fun too!
default_yes.gif

Thanks. I have to say his tail is his best asset. Ha, ha!

Every moment by mom is around him I only hear, "watch out for his tail!" or "be careful around his tail!"
default_wacko.png

Makayla

Great job, just have Belle teach him, he will catch on.

We like to round pen our show horses together. They seem to enjoy it more. We are usually exercising 6 horses and do 3 at a time. Of course you need to pick sizes and temperments. We usually run a group of the small guys and then the bigger ones. It is a lot less work for us to, not running after them so much. They actually encourage each other to keep going. You just have to be careful and make sure they get along so someone doesn't get hurt.

Latest posts

Back