Round pen owners BEWARE!!!! Injured horse~~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost a beautiful yearling filly last year in a mini round pen panel. I have graphic photos ... her leg was almost torn off...when I found her she was still alive but barely...

It was horrible. Do I still use the panels, yes.. but am I more careful with how I use them... Definitely.

Unreal injury... resulting in the loss of a very special horse.

We have a Priefert round pen which we love and use all the time for warm up, but not for turn out. I'm glad your little one is okay!

Liz N.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a stallion get caught in his pen made out of gates the same way- someone found him upside down, hanging from his leg! He was set free and it took a while, soaking his leg (in WINTER, yet!) and furozone wraps but he was OK. I also found a mare with her HEAD caught between two panels, she was freed and was OK.

A friend wasn't so lucky, she was round penning her mare when the mare turned just right (wrong?) and hit her head on the post and broke her neck- died instantly.

Horses spend their whole lives trying to commit suicide!!

I lost a beautiful yearling filly last year in a mini round pen panel. I have graphic photos ... her leg was almost torn off...when I found her she was still alive but barely...

It was horrible. Do I still use the panels, yes.. but am I more careful with how I use them... Definitely.

Unreal injury... resulting in the loss of a very special horse.
Thats terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss.

We had a stallion get caught in his pen made out of gates the same way- someone found him upside down, hanging from his leg! He was set free and it took a while, soaking his leg (in WINTER, yet!) and furozone wraps but he was OK. I also found a mare with her HEAD caught between two panels, she was freed and was OK.

A friend wasn't so lucky, she was round penning her mare when the mare turned just right (wrong?) and hit her head on the post and broke her neck- died instantly.

Horses spend their whole lives trying to commit suicide!!
I totally agree with you on that committing suicide part XD

Haven't read all the replies yet but agree, if there's a way to get hurt, they'll find it. My mini ran full speed into a shovel that was hanging on the fence (in my backyard), the top metal corner went into her flank. Not a pretty sight
default_sad.png

Regarding the panels, how about getting 4x8 OSB panels and attaching them to the inside of the pen, just need to drill holes on the edges, connect them with baling wire. That would prevent them from sticking their head and feet through the panels (I have had mine trying to nibble on my big geldings tail through the panel - a kick would have taken her out). I had though about doing that to mine but now she has her own pasture with a 4 foot fence and wire fencing. OSB is cheap and can be replaced when it's worn out.

As one who's farm is held together by bale string/twine
default_yes.gif
- I'd say toss the hooks and pins - and tie those ends together TIGHTLY with baling twine. And make sure no loops of string are hanging either. Even if you use the round pen strictly for exercise and not for turnout....must safer if you have a horse get spooked, etc when working it.

I hear you on the baling string and wire, Jean_B. Thats our whole ranch! lol! I think the string holds just fine and can be cut with a pocket knife in a second.

I was thinking, why not put a 2x6 or 2x4 in the gaps where the pins are. Or maybe even plywood all the way around, from the ground up to however high the plywood goes. Just a thought.

I used to have a wild (but domestic) big horse colt, who always laid down to sleep and would forever roll halfway under the pannels and get stuck. Finally we said enough with that scary stuff and lined the pannels from bottom up with the plywood sheets.

Im glad your little buddy is alright, give the fur baby some hugs n kisses for me!
default_wub.png

So sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

My roun pen is lined with plywood and held on with 12 guage farm wire. I came up with this after one of my mares kicked out while I was working with her and caught her leg in between rails. it knocked her down. scared me and her both! Another popular fence for minis is wire cattle panels. We were talked into the panels with narrower baby saver wire. My mare when she was 2 months old somhow got her hoof through the wire and broke her ankle. Make sure cattle panels have the big squared top to bottom. Priefert is my favorite round pen too. I have a powder mountain too but its not as mini friendly :)

So sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

My roun pen is lined with plywood and held on with 12 guage farm wire. I came up with this after one of my mares kicked out while I was working with her and caught her leg in between rails. it knocked her down. scared me and her both! Another popular fence for minis is wire cattle panels. We were talked into the panels with narrower baby saver wire. My mare when she was 2 months old somhow got her hoof through the wire and broke her ankle. Make sure cattle panels have the big squared top to bottom. Priefert is my favorite round pen too. I have a powder mountain too but its not as mini friendly :)

I had the same exact thing happen to my stallion the beginning of December. We don't know how long he was hanging upside down. He spent a week at Auburn University vet hospital. Lots of worries and he still has a long road to recovery. Did your horse get hurt at all?

He was in shock for sure, and was tender on that leg for a couple of days. There were only two pea-sized abrasions where he struggled to get free around the coronary band.The vet told me to rest him...no turnout, but to walk him on lead for 15 mins every couple off hours to regain mobility and help with stretching out that soreness. He had some heat and swelling in the shoulder, but within two weeks was as good as new. We were soooo lucky. Good luck to your little guy. What all did he have to have done at the vet?

I am so sorry to hear these terrible stories that ended badly. I have gained a new respect for how easily these little guys can get hurt. Now we still use the round pen, but only under careful supervision and for training only. THANKS EVERYONE.

Latest posts

Back