Round Pen Measurement's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Hooves

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but if using a round pen for training or conditioning the mini's what size is best for them? I would like to get one set up this year for my kids, but was just courious what size ya'll have or would recommend. Thanks [/SIZE]

Hi, I hope you get a reply as I am very interested also. My husband just built me a round pen that is 30' diameter for my boys. I have not used it yet as we have had cold temps in Florida. I am in a wheelchair and that seems to be as large as I could handle. FLFlyingW

Ours is 40' and has worked great for our A and B size minis
default_yes.gif

Round%20Pen%20--%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20014.jpg

Since I had a QH to begin with my roundpen was 60'. That was too big to get much work done - all I seemed to do was chase the minis around (my boys are not inclined to lunge easily). So we removed a a few panels and made it 40'. It seems to work much better. When the boys are lazy I don't have to run from one side to the other to get them to move.

[SIZE=12pt]I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but if using a round pen for training or conditioning the mini's what size is best for them? I would like to get one set up this year for my kids, but was just courious what size ya'll have or would recommend. Thanks [/SIZE]
40 feet here. I like that size as I can get control if I need to. Any larger than that can be harder to handle. Originally this was a permanent pipe pen that was built for big horses. I put snow fencing on the outside so the minis dont go through it.

Mine's 50 ft and I like it. I do end up walking a small circle keeping the lazy ones going! I can see where the 40ft one would make it so you just stand in the middle...but I put jumps and other things(tarps, trotting poles etc) along the side so I like the slightly larger one. I think 60 ft would be too big.

Originally mine was 60'. I just have this thing about not wanting my horses to go round and round and round so I break it up with adding jumps, a couple of cones, cavs, etc. but that was a tad too big. This time when we put it back up I'm going to go for 50' and I should still be able to do that within that size as well.

Ours is approx. 50 ft. also. We originally made it out of cattle panels, which worked, but when we started training driving horses, we put that less expensive stuff (I believe it's called SB) around it so the shafts would go thru the cattle panels. It works realy well. Small enough to use for excercise but big enough to start a driving horse.

Pam

We have a 50ft and a 60ft round pen. We start a lot of colts, and have boarders that use them. I wouldn't go any smaller. Every now and then we will work minis in the round pens, but we have a pen that's about 90' X 50' that we free lunge them in. We like the bigger pens a lot better as opposed to the round pen. There is more 'straight running' and not as much strain on their legs from constantly going in a small circle.

Ours is 40' and I wish it was a tad bigger. If I had to do it over, I would make mine 50'. I sure wouldn't go any smaller than 40'.

Peggy

Thanks everyone for the imput. It sounds like 50' is what everyone would prefer to use. I do agree with the smaller being more difficult on the little one's legs. Now to get my hubby started on it so that I will have it for my spring training. Most of my training will be done out of the round pen, but need one for those certain situations. Thanks again everyone.

Just another input. I've had a 50' for years and that's worked great for big horses and mini's alike. Only ONE thing I wish; That I had an inside riding and working barn. BUT, that's a dream. For now I'll deal with an outside roundpen and be happy with it. TJ

Ours is 40x40 but its an indoor, the reason for stating that is cuz if I could do it again I would of went with 50x50.

Latest posts

Back