Round Pen / Cats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
I know there are lots of cat people on here so I am hoping to get some advice. My round pen has become a giant kitty litter box for the new neighbor's cats. It's like a big sand box I guess and these are all outdoor cats. They don't have a barn so sometimes they come over here to shelter too. We don't feed them and they run away whenever we approach. I have been online researching deterrents but nothing I've found so far has great reviews. The only thing I am hoping to do is to deter them from using the round pen if that is possible.

You could try running chicken wire around the outside of the pen, and then putting in a sandy area for them to use. Yes they can jump it, or climb it, but if they have an easier area to get to they may decide to use that instead. Providing them a better area seems to be key. A motion activated sprinkler would work but I imagine it's hard to set up.

When my cats started pooping in my arena it didn’t bother me too bad, at least they covered it up. It’s when my dog started pooping in there that drove me absolutely crazy. You could get a dog that doesn’t like cats or you could get a dog like mine, who LOVES cats and LOVES to eat their poop 🤢

A5D660CF-519F-4090-9910-BBD3CDADB79D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses! I might try the motion sprinkler, although I'll have to see how it goes as I read some reviews that said anything set them off and there are trees nearby and also the paddock where the horses are kept at night. Someone said don't get motion sensor, get heat sensor because theirs was going off constantly.

And good idea about making another sand pit. There is a bee keeper 2 pastures over and his bees were swarming all over our fountain so much the last few years that we couldn't even clean it. Now that he has water for them they don't come here for it. So probably the same concept for the cats. :) They don't cover it up so maybe if I put something they can get right too before they reach round pen it will appeal to them.

If you do make one, take out some of what they left in the round pen and put it in the new spot, that will help entice them.

I agree with Kelly--the cats do not cause me any problwm, but I draw the line at the dogs pooping anywhere around the horses and hay. My dogs know better than to chase cats--mine or anyone else's, but like Kelly's they do a good job of cleaning out any cat poop left out.

It seems like a pretty uncomfortable situation for you. I hope you found a solution to your problem. Yes, cats usually sleep in the litter box, and your pen can be a litter box for your neighbor's cat—cats like clean places. Even my cat is used to sleeping in a litter box for several reasons that I try to solve. I found on cleverpetowners.com some solutions that could help keep the cat from sleeping there, but I don't know how effective they will be for you. Your neighbors probably don't keep their shelter clean because they always come and take shelter in your pen. But you could navigate and try to put those steps into practice.

It will be very difficult for you to get rid of them; most likely, they will constantly come to the Round Pen. Maybe you should scare them a lot, then maybe they will stop going there, but first of all, you don't need to feed them. I understand that it is very difficult not to feed a homeless cat. Still, they mustn't interfere with you later. Well, buy some Cat Scratching Post away from the Round Pen so that they sharpen their claws and thus get away from the place where they interfere with you. To be honest, I have never encountered such a thing, and it is difficult for me to advise something.

Latest posts

Back