Rosie's Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I’ll be honest today and more recently hasn’t been going great not because of Rosie. Just because I’ve just been a little more stressed out lately and I just suddenly I will explode. Then I’ll calm down and go back to normal but it’s just not fair to her you know.

Like she’ll be doing something and then she keeps pulling and I’m like oh my God quit it!
I start bumping her lead really hard. I know it’s not right but like I don’t know I’m just trying to figure out a Coping mechanism I’m thinking maybe before I work with her. I might do some breathing exercises and stretching so I don’t take anything out on her because she does not deserve that

today we went on a walk and I was just I don’t know I just exploded little bit while we were walking and we decided turn around because she started freaking out and annoyed me and it was awful like I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately.

I’m gonna start doing some yoga or something because that’s not gonna fly. Not for a Rosie! that’s not fair I just want to be honest with you guys.

Any ideas on how to keep my cool better?

I got my surcingle finally!🎉 and just a couple days ago I’ve started my mare Rosie’s training… SHE IS SO AMAZING!!!!! I don’t even need someone to lead her in the beginning! I did some before prep like lungeing and standing far behind while tied, etc.

First session she was ground driving! Today was just our second session and after working in the early afternoon… we did a lot of trotting and turning so she would not eat grass.. then later on around early evening.

I took out her braids then just ground drove her a bit and we did turning whoaing etc. she also tried less this time to snatch grass! I still can’t believe she is picking everything up super quickly!

She is a extraordinaire mare!!!!!!

Today we … explored a new trail! 🥳 With her pack on, I got permission from my neighbors to use their trails since they actually connect to mine. When we were going to the new trail my dog came behind and Rosie SPOOKED! She bolted straight ahead and I got a little rope burn. I stopped her then turned her around then called my dog over. Immediately she calmed down so we just went on our way again.

It’s been so long since she has spooked like that! She must of thought my dog was a wolf 😂

Anyway we kept going came across some boggy area, kept going then after we hit a property mark we turned back.. went down another trail to get to the road.. went down a big step ( there is a whole flight but we’re working on it)
Went across a bridge (did great) went across another that had a step down (she went across but faster and wanting to get off)
Overall a great trail walk with some fun obstacles!

After all of that I took her pack off and hosed her down. She just moved a bit this time. ☺️

Finally here is the new surcingle pic and lunge lines.. also of Rosie, trail…

Attachments

• 816C3511-B407-4271-8636-605617330369.jpeg
    816C3511-B407-4271-8636-605617330369.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4EA20D8F-4F19-4B2D-9660-E654A492DDA7.jpeg
    4EA20D8F-4F19-4B2D-9660-E654A492DDA7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8FD0089C-E137-4667-A38B-1F098F8C6BDA.jpeg
    8FD0089C-E137-4667-A38B-1F098F8C6BDA.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 757516CF-1516-4E00-9465-085D6587CA93.jpeg
    757516CF-1516-4E00-9465-085D6587CA93.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Ok so yesterday I gave Rosie a bath and did liberty. Liberty went well.

But the bath I don’t think I should’ve done it but what’s done is done so I just need to take it slow.

I want to really badly just want to give her a bath because for a year I could not, so I feel like I’m in a rush but I’m not so im going have to convince myself to slow down.

Anyway, today we did ground driving, Rosie she is picking this up so quickly I had her turning more on the feel.

She was listening more when I was saying whoa and then I asked her to trot with flopping the reins around, calling out (and a walk) to get her back down to walk, she went back a couple steps. She was just really good. She’s just amazing 🤩

Ok I've seen on here other people are teaching or taught their minis to ground drive and I have a Question. How are you teaching your minis to back up that fast?! Rosie is advancing more and I want to know how I could possibly teach her to do that?

Last edited:
So I haven't been active for a while on here. Right now curently though I have been doing ground driving with Rosie and..... She has progressed dramaticly she can stop almost instantly, we have ground drove in many diffrent areas, her backup has gotten lighter and more consistant, I have a cart, and harness but I cant seem to figure every thing out. Like where to attach the traces. Also I have been learning along with Rosie but I don't know when she will be ready for the cart. She lets bring the cart behind her and lets it come behind when she is walking, she has a good back up for the most part but will still go pretty crooked at times, good at trantions for the most part, good whoa 90 precent of the time, lets me bridle her, I havent done much ground driving in the bit and blinkers yet. But how do I know when she is ready?

So I haven't been active for a while on here. Right now curently though I have been doing ground driving with Rosie and..... She has progressed dramaticly she can stop almost instantly, we have ground drove in many diffrent areas, her backup has gotten lighter and more consistant, I have a cart, and harness but I cant seem to figure every thing out. Like where to attach the traces. Also I have been learning along with Rosie but I don't know when she will be ready for the cart. She lets bring the cart behind her and lets it come behind when she is walking, she has a good back up for the most part but will still go pretty crooked at times, good at trantions for the most part, good whoa 90 precent of the time, lets me bridle her, I havent done much ground driving in the bit and blinkers yet. But how do I know when she is ready?
I have no knowledge on driving. I'm sure someone on here will help you out. :)

Sounds as though you have done a super job of preparation! All those straps and buckles are confusing. You may need someone to mentor you through that step. Fitting everything takes some trial and error--lots of error- to get things adjusted correctly.

Sounds as though you have done a super job of preparation! All those straps and buckles are confusing. You may need someone to mentor you through that step. Fitting everything takes some trial and error--lots of error- to get things adjusted correctly.
I know where everything goes for the most part but the part I’m most confused about.. are where the traces are supposed to attach to my cart.

Attachments

• 5ED9568E-F0E7-4792-B13C-C3A24D3A6A4B.jpeg
    5ED9568E-F0E7-4792-B13C-C3A24D3A6A4B.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I don't really have any knowledge about when Rosie would be ready for a cart, as I too am learning how to drive. I am fortunate enough to have a friend and trainer that are teaching me and even with that help, it is very hard to know what to do and when to do it. I still can't make heads nor tails of some of the pieces of the harness. I am also really nervous about moving past the ground driving and hitching up to a cart. About 40 years ago, I was having my first pony trained to pull a cart. The trainer tried to hitch him up to a cart before he was ready and it was a near disaster. He took off running in a total panic with the cart chasing him from behind. I was scared and horrified about what had happened. My little pony NEVER would allow us to get near him with a harness again. After that incident I let go of my desire to drive and returned to riding only. Now, 40 years later, I am learning how to drive and having my two minis learn as well. Slow and steady. I love the ground driving so much I don't know if I'll ever hitch up to a cart. I say good luck to you and Rosie. BTW, I love hearing about your adventures with her.

Yes I am scared of an accident happening but I keep in mind that Rosie will definitely show signs if I am moving to fast. But I just don’t know if I’m moving to slow. And I unfortunately don’t have anyone teaching me. I have just been practicing putting the harness on her and bridle, ground driving, and I have lined up the cart a few times up with the harness but I haven’t actually hooked it up or anything. She is really calm about this for the most part just gets a little nervous when line up the cart to the harness. I just now have figured out the bridle… and now I need to figure out how you attach the harness to cart because the harness I have is adjusted for the most part.

I would suggest, if you haven't already, you get her used to being in between shafts and have her used to actually pulling something before you actually hook her up to your cart. Pool noodles and then PVC pipe can be used for shafts and many people use tires for them to drag. Mindy Schroder has a nice little book with pictures that are really helpful. She is a member here, Pony Princess. You can do searches on this forum for training shafts, drag, singletree, etc.
I have never seen a single tree with ends like that, but I would guess it was made to use a snap. What does the end of your traces look like?
I would also suggest you find someone who has experience driving or a trainer to help you sort everything out and get started. Are there any shows or events with driving around? Go, if you can. And no such thing as going too slow when training.

I
I would suggest, if you haven't already, you get her used to being in between shafts and have her used to actually pulling something before you actually hook her up to your cart. Pool noodles and then PVC pipe can be used for shafts and many people use tires for them to drag. Mindy Schroder has a nice little book with pictures that are really helpful. She is a member here, Pony Princess. You can do searches on this forum for training shafts, drag, singletree, etc.
I have never seen a single tree with ends like that, but I would guess it was made to use a snap. What does the end of your traces look like?
I would also suggest you find someone who has experience driving or a trainer to help you sort everything out and get started. Are there any shows or events with driving around? Go, if you can. And no such thing as going too slow when training.
I dont think so, and the traces just have the holes like every other harness. and that sounds like a good idea

Latest posts

Back