Rosie's Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays post will be long so prepare yourselves…

Last couple day’s we’ve worked on lateral work, circleing, flexing, cones, scary ramp on ground, and today we did a decent timed walk and getting use to the hose..( she hasn’t had a bath in over a year)

First the lateral work, flexing etc session : we started that session off with some flexing on either side.. one side is really really good and the other is just really good. She has been getting a lot of practice with this so it’s no surprise ( we’ve been practically starting every session with that exercise).
After we did that we moved in to practicing our side passing, she really needs more practice on both sides it can take a bit for her to respond. Sometimes she responds right away. We also need to work on not really going forward at all too. That’s just going to take time. The way I get her to go to the side.. I just tap on her girth area lightly then more and more until she goes to the side and does not go forward ( this can take several steps) It’s amazing though how when you stay consistent and change the cue at their pace how quickly they pick it up! Of course like i said still not amazing but it’s decent.
We also did some front yields and back yields as well… back as easy as always we still have to work on moving away with more life in her feet though. The front end is sticky and is 5x harder than her back.. just need to work on it!

The circling exercise is getting little by little better and better! Really just working on her sending when she is really really good at it ( she was already pretty good) Then we will do trotting.

The cones are always decent but we can’t seem to get over being sticky over them.. I’ll just have to figure it out.

When we did do the “scary ramp” we did it while working on other stuff as well and I only led her over it twice ( once on each side) she seems over it even though we haven’t really been working on it. I guess she just needed time to process.

Now finally about today!
We went on a walk down the road and it went really well.. we walked most of the time but we also trotted some as well.
When we were going down a hill I asked her to trot and go faster and faster then she cantered for just a bit ( we are on a road after all!). The sound of her cantering on the asphalt was very Rhythmical. After we were done with our walk since I knew she must be hot I used the opportunity to get her use to the hose more. Since I want to give her a bath as soon as she has lost all of her winter coat.
She did really well.. a couple times she started to trot away but I kept her in a circle and kept spraying the water at her until she stopped. And after just a couple minutes she stopped flinching when the water was on her. Eeee I just can’t wait to give her the makeover/ bath. I want it to be great so I want her to be able to stand still while getting sprayed with water.

Told you this would be a long post.. here’s a pic of us on our walk though!

Attachments

• 520B319E-14A2-4411-A07A-FF87ED5E2D7D.jpeg
    520B319E-14A2-4411-A07A-FF87ED5E2D7D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Today we worked on…. Circle exercise, flexing, backing, and trotting forward…
She did great in circle exercise sended pretty well and I just kept her going for a couple circles.

Before I did circle exercise I flexed her neck and she was amazing 🤩

I did backing up because she really isn’t great at backing it can take a bit to get her back up a couple steps slowly so I decided to try something that I heard from my podcast. I asked her to back by just putting lead back and when she didn’t go back I started bumping pretty hard. After about a dozen times on each side she would go back a couple steps with more energy. It was pretty cool!

Then I decided tried to do the same concept with trotting forward she’s already pretty good at trotting on the lead. But why not make it better?!?
So when the lead was forward just a bit and she trotted. I then released but when she didn’t go forward when it was just a bit it would get heavier and heavier and heavier and heavier until she trot for longer and have to go faster.
It was kinda of working..pretty well.
Then I decided to experiment more though and I put the lead rope forward and in the other hand I had the end of it when she didn’t go for right away I smack the lead rope on the ground at her shoulder. So she jumped forward.
We then kind of got into a bit of a weird circling tight mess so she was trying to trot but she didn’t really know what to do because I was staying in one place then while she was pulling I kept putting the lead rope at her butt until she finally start pulling on the leash then I stopped.
I thought well she’s probably not gonna try to trot now.. but she surprised me the clip just went on the lead forward a bit and she immediately started trotting.
It was cool

Side note though I did get a little too intense though with the rope swinging at her shoulder. So I just need to figure out how to figure how much pressure to use.

This session went really good though!

Hey guys, I want to do like kind of training videos on my YouTube channel but I kind of I want like to make sure that people would actually want to listen to it so…

instead of posting on here I might you know talk on my YouTube channel about what I did that day and kind of make like a little Vlog thing but I’m only gonna do that if I get more subscribers.

And more if people are interested, so if you’re interested in hearing how Rosie is going to be trained, please subscribe to my channel.

So I know that you guys want to hear about Rosie’s journey.

It is harder for me to type it all out so it would help me a lot if I could talk about Rosie on my channel, so yeah thanks for reading this.

Me and Rosie lately have been doing a lot I’ve been doing a lot of lunging and getting ready to ground drive before I get the surcingle and lunge lines!

Also a random question does anyone know how to help a horse get over the fear of jumping ditch’s?

I don’t really like for my horses to jump ditches, I prefer they walk through them. If I am in cart I don’t really need my pony jumping anything. 😊
I mean small ones when we’re walking on the trail.. big ones we just walk through but she won’t walk over small ones she jumps them and now she is scared too.. also my cart when we can use it isn’t built for roughing it.

Ok I am very impressed with Rosie!. She has been doing so good just yesterday we went on a picnic on our trail. I tied her up and she just looked at me while I was eating my lunch which was carrot sticks sandwich, etc..

and she usually would stop one or twice on the trail like oh my God I’m really tired but she didn’t stop once on the trail.

On the day before that I plaited her mane and she did so good. She just stood there and she let me plat it took a bit

Then today I was practicing some ditch stuff and jumping she still is how do you put it like scared to do like an actual ditch from one side, the other side she’s fine it’s very confusing but otherwise she jumped on the other practice things really well.

Then later on, I was cleaning a grooming box so I just tied her up and had her sit there

Because I noticed after a while she gets really impatient not like if I’m right beside her but you know after a couple hours she gets really inpatient

She was sooo good tyeing with absolutely nothing going on. This will help her be even more patient than she already is

Yeah she’s just been doing great. I’m going to put some photos to show you guys her plaited mane , and other things..

Attachments

• 65F823FB-66B9-4772-93B0-BEC9F9389ACE.jpeg
    65F823FB-66B9-4772-93B0-BEC9F9389ACE.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F48AEF75-CA78-40C5-BA4F-77EBD4672E61.jpeg
    F48AEF75-CA78-40C5-BA4F-77EBD4672E61.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CCF1372-6490-49CD-89BE-1774E484A715.jpeg
    0CCF1372-6490-49CD-89BE-1774E484A715.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 257703C0-36D0-4946-92DE-8EC737F45B90.jpeg
    257703C0-36D0-4946-92DE-8EC737F45B90.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B1D443F6-EDE0-4353-A75C-66D9892EC471.jpeg
    B1D443F6-EDE0-4353-A75C-66D9892EC471.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • D16A7B3C-AB5B-4752-9F52-012CC01BF18F.jpeg
    D16A7B3C-AB5B-4752-9F52-012CC01BF18F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Today we did liberty in the big field! It actually went really well.

First I tied a bunch of twine to block the hill and barn to make more of a square area.

I know “why bother with that?” I did not want to spend an hour just playing a big game of catch me. She does that when she can go in and out of barn. I did not have the energy for that today.. Anyway I showed her where the new border was so when we were working, she would not run into it.

Then I flagged her around, at first I asked her to follow me and then she turned away.

Then I flagged her and kinda ran around, playing around.

Then she would follow me for a while before she turned away and we start running around again. It was really fun.

At the end I reached over and scratched her on the Withers and she groomed me on my leg it was really amazing.

I love having that kind of bond with her ❤️❤️❤️

Some photos…

Attachments

• 9BE319EC-314A-4F51-A40D-8EC822A1B437.jpeg
    9BE319EC-314A-4F51-A40D-8EC822A1B437.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2917203F-CDF5-4FE0-B3EC-365B1F3CAB2E.jpeg
    2917203F-CDF5-4FE0-B3EC-365B1F3CAB2E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 90B62859-5A53-4249-A213-0C539E605C3F.jpeg
    90B62859-5A53-4249-A213-0C539E605C3F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0591AA7B-85CE-4D3F-BD03-9D6955790E05.jpeg
    0591AA7B-85CE-4D3F-BD03-9D6955790E05.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Today we did liberty in the big field! It actually went really well.

First I tied a bunch of twine to block the hill and barn to make more of a square area.

I know “why bother with that?” I did not want to spend an hour just playing a big game of catch me. She does that when she can go in and out of barn. I did not have the energy for that today.. Anyway I showed her where the new border was so when we were working, she would not run into it.

Then I flagged her around, at first I asked her to follow me and then she turned away.

Then I flagged her and kinda ran around, playing around.

Then she would follow me for a while before she turned away and we start running around again. It was really fun.

At the end I reached over and scratched her on the Withers and she groomed me on my leg it was really amazing.

I love having that kind of bond with her ❤️❤️❤️

Some photos…
Your little girl is so lucky to have you. You spend so much time teaching her and taking care of her. I love the pictures of her mane, beautiful.

Today we did some circling, the fence wasn’t up so she got a bit confused.. and a couple times she snatched grass so I flagged her and she would run.

Making it harder to eat grass than just do the work she is meant to do.

After a few times she stopped doing it.. thank goodness 😅

After that I showed the hose too see if she was still scared from doing a bath when she wasn’t ready… she was good 👍 and didn’t mind it to much.

Then I brought her to the barn, trimmed her forelock. Just getting fluff and short hairs off, but I still was nervous about it. I also conditioned her tail to make it stronger? Idk I just want her to have her tail down to defend herself against bugs so no tail bags for now!

Then I she was being groomed and led by my sister later on..

Overall a really nice day.. here are some random pics of Rosie

Attachments

• 4ABFFDC0-2398-4BE6-BF1C-A7C1F2C8DC86.jpeg
    4ABFFDC0-2398-4BE6-BF1C-A7C1F2C8DC86.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • CB5C8A81-9A7C-477F-8A83-67B397D66D08.jpeg
    CB5C8A81-9A7C-477F-8A83-67B397D66D08.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 1A2CDA1E-B7D2-4356-A38C-54C7DB2F25E5.jpeg
    1A2CDA1E-B7D2-4356-A38C-54C7DB2F25E5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 21783C08-0E49-491D-9C26-6548FF48914F.jpeg
    21783C08-0E49-491D-9C26-6548FF48914F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A934B07-A513-4DA8-AD21-AA6711A04B13.jpeg
    2A934B07-A513-4DA8-AD21-AA6711A04B13.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 7F3D4AC3-E8FD-443F-AA21-9BE7B7ABB1FB.jpeg
    7F3D4AC3-E8FD-443F-AA21-9BE7B7ABB1FB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
So darn cute. I love the 2nd pic in the top row 🥰
I know right she is just so adorable!

Love how you did her mane, so pretty 💕💕

Yeah going the mane up like that takes a while.. just to get some photos then I take it all out 😂
Your little girl is so lucky to have you. You spend so much time teaching her and taking care of her. I love the pictures of her mane, beautiful.
I love spending time with her! So much even this morning I decided to read a book while she napped beside me for like an hour.. I even saw her REM sleep which is rare for me to see

Latest posts

Back