Rosie and the Clippers...Part 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minidreamz0581

Reaction score
The mini named Little Miss Muffet
Came right down off of her tuffet
A show is on its way
And for her big day
Miss Muffet cannot look like a tuffet!

I was afraid that there wouldn’t be any shows this year because of the covid, but there will be one this Sunday! Coady is making a lot of progress and I don’t want to put him through a show and chance setting him back (if things go as I’m hoping, he might have a big life change within the next few months so I don’t want to unsettle him any sooner than that. That’s info for another post!), so I’m taking Rosie! Truth be told she’s really not trained enough to be shown yet, though she is doing small obstacle courses well at home. However, she doesn’t know how to sidepass yet, so if there is a sidepass in the course then I’ll just enter her in Mini Halter. The main reason to take her will be so that she can experience the show atmosphere. Rosie has never actually been in an arena before either, so this will be a big learning experience for her! That’s another reason to only enter her in Mini Halter instead of trying to do the obstacles as well. I don’t want to put any pressure on her to perform since I’ll be throwing so many new things at her. Halter is a relatively simple class at our local shows. If we make it in and out of the arena alive I’ll count it as a victory ;). No matter what, we’re going to go and have a good time! I’m going to do whatever I can to make it a safe, fun and educational experience for her. :D

Here’s some photos of Rosie after her clip!

EB667053-64E9-440F-A44A-8D6FE15A98B3.jpeg
This one was after I clipped her little face, which she was surprisingly good for! I was so proud of her! I knew she was cute, but I didn’t realize the pretty face that was hiding under all the fluff!

497AC32B-AB5C-4A7E-9C8A-D51BC1D5826F.jpeg
Here’s a full body shot after clipping and her bath! I think we were both glad at this point that it was all over. I didn’t want to bath her twice as I had bathed her before clipping, but the poor little thing chewed a spot on her chest raw after I clipped her last time so I wanted to wash off the clipper oil and the little hairs.

E3955329-16AA-4E27-B804-E2B40F0C3812.jpeg
Here she was in her stall tonight after she dried! (I know her stall looks small in the picture, but it’s 4x12. Depending on how things go with the other horses, she may get a 12x12 of her own. She likes her little spot though because it has a gate instead of a door and she can see the whole aisleway!

On a side note; to those who clip, how long can you clip before your blade gets hot? Rosie is a petite 30” girl and I couldn’t believe how many times I had to stop because the blade was hot. I clipped her about a month and a half ago to get the winter woolies off of her body so other than her legs she wasn’t even that fluffy! I was using Oster Kool Lube and the clippers could still only run a few minutes (maybe 5?) before the blade was freakishly hot. I used a brand new #7 blade on her body and a brand new #10 on her legs (I used a set of cordless dog clippers on her face...she did NOT like the cord of the others near her face. The dog clippers ran a long time before they got warm.) so the blades were nice and sharp.

Last edited:
She looks great. My guys won't let me clip their faces easliy, I have to do it in stages.
What kind of clippers do you have. I have a pair of Double K's that get hot like that. I bought them new and never had much luck with them. I never had much luck using Cool Lube either, I think it dulled my blades.
My Oster A5 and Wahl KM's run pretty cool, I can clip maybe 15 minutes without having to change blades.
Good luck at the show, I am missing show season, no shows here.

I use 3 blades. I buy Oster Blade Wash. It is a liquid and comes in a can. I pour some in a jar and when one blade gets hot I wipe the hair off and drop it in the Wash. By the time I've cycled through each blade, the first one is ready to use again. I've heard the spray washes are not as good.
My 2 speed Andis does not get hot, just the blades. The blades do get hot fairly quickly, but it isn't an issue with the spare soaking in the Wash.
You did a great job on Rosie!

Thank you ladies for the clipper advice! I’m definitely going to try the blade wash next time.

I thought of this thread yesterday. On Thursday I clipped my welsh pony and the clipper blades stayed cool throughout his clipping. I did stop once for about five minutes to rest my hand and I cleaned and oiled the blades.
Yesterday, I clipped Cappy and the clippers blades heated up fast and I had to change them out several times (every five minutes). I have no idea why on one day they ran nice and cool for over an hour and the next day they were hot after a few minutes. Same clippers, my Wahl KMs.

I use 3 blades. I buy Oster Blade Wash. It is a liquid and comes in a can. I pour some in a jar and when one blade gets hot I wipe the hair off and drop it in the Wash. By the time I've cycled through each blade, the first one is ready to use again. I've heard the spray washes are not as good.
My 2 speed Andis does not get hot, just the blades. The blades do get hot fairly quickly, but it isn't an issue with the spare soaking in the Wash.
You did a great job on Rosie!
Marsha, I went on Amazon to order some Oster Blade Wash and they had a few product choices...all called Blade Wash by Oster. Which one do you use and recommend?

Latest posts

Back