Rope halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trails4jd

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
My friend and I are going to take a liberty lesson with our minis. The trainer likes you to have rope halters with 4 knots on the nose for full size horses. She's never worked with minis before and says 4 knots probably aren't necessary. I'm hesitant to get a halter with 4 knots for such a tiny nose (you can get them made on Etsy). Advice? 4 knots or just the 2 side knots?

Depending on how your minis temperaments are, you may or may not need 4 knots, but Personally, I love my 4 knotted rope halters on all of my minis. But they can be very high strung and/or headstrong so it helps me get their attention in a nice and easy way. With nylon halters, it is easier for them to be able to pull into them so it can be harder to get them under control, especially if they are easily excited or eager about something, for jumper for example. I believe these soft rope halters are much less extreme than a chain. I also feel like I have more contact overall with a rope halter. It is easier to finesse and refine cues. Ultimately though, it depends on what you and your horses are comfortable with!
Here are some of mine in their halters.
IMG_20221025_170950.jpg
IMG_20220904_170439.jpg
IMG_20221011_144638.jpg

Personally, I do not like rope halters for miniatures, as the line of draft is wrong for proper usage. Perhaps I'm more likely to have those issues, since I'm nearly 6' tall, so all pulls on the lead are in a more upward direction, so usually twist the nosebands moving the knots into bad positions.

That's a really good point, Chanda. Has anyone ever seen the hybrid halters sized for minis? Like this one:

Hybrid Halter "Lite"{targeti&msclkid=c4d427f4ca8d1db45af0448ea04c6fa3&utm_term=4588193305805388

I wonder if the "yearling" size is small enough for a mini. Could be a good compromise since the issue with the rope halters turning and getting off-kilter is definitely real.

Edited to add, looked a little more and they do make mini sizes. I wonder if having the crown and cheeks in nylon makes a big enough difference to keep the halter from turning.

Last edited:
All right - I ordered one from Two Horse Tack, I liked it better because the nose is adjustable and the only rope is the knotted part across the top of the nose so hopefully it will be nice and stable. I'll report back on how it is!

Could I bother you with another question since Star Point can't get back to me for 24-48 hours and I'd like to order ASAP. Perhaps this is just a senior moment, but when they give the measurements on the web site, is that the measurement of the halter or the horse's head;i.e., is a medium 17'' around the actual nose of the halter or is that the size for a mini that measures 17". Thanks again!

Could I bother you with another question since Star Point can't get back to me for 24-48 hours and I'd like to order ASAP. Perhaps this is just a senior moment, but when they give the measurements on the web site, is that the measurement of the halter or the horse's head;i.e., is a medium 17'' around the actual nose of the halter or is that the size for a mini that measures 17". Thanks again!
Absolutely! The measurements on the picture in the description are the actual measurements of the halter. The measurements on the buttons to order are heights of minis and ponies, i.e. 32-36" mini is height.
I think you'll like them! I haven't had them slip, they are designed not to if they fit properly.

I also have a couple of the Star Point rope halters and am very happy with them.
I also like their mini lead ropes and training whips.

Personally, when I'm training for tricks and liberty, I don't find any benefit in using a rope halter - knotted or without, vs a leather or nylon traditional halter. A chain, in the right skilled hands, is very effective and could be utilized in such a small amount of time to be able to remove it and not need it again, in short order. The key to liberty is actually consistency.

I have always had a special dislike for rope aters--was glad when they pretty much disappeared from stores. Good riddance. Then for some odd reason they made a come back. I have never needed anything other than a regular nylon or leather halter. I do have 1 rope halter now that I use once I awhile on my bigger ponies, just because I don't have a halter that fits them really well. The rope halter does fit so I use it--I just don't tie them when I am using it.

OK, I finally received my halter from Two Horse Tack:
D382A91A-8BF1-4813-AC59-49B43D80BFE3.jpeg

It fits well, this is the mini size and I have a hole or two in each direction on all the adjustment points (it's adjustable on both sides of the crown and the nose also has a buckle). It definitely doesn't turn as easily as the rope halter and he doesn't seem inclined to run through it as he might be in his regular web halter. In fact from the short session we did today I would say he heartily approves of it. Quality seems good.

Latest posts

Back