Rope Halters just a thought about them

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorngal

Reaction score
Since I got back into horses about 10 years ago I have followed the Natural Horsemanship method-with clicker training added-and pretty much always used rope halters on my big horses. I did buy a Clinton Anderson one I've used on my minis too but not all the time since I have 3 minis and just the one halter.

Anyway, I got an email from HorseCity the other day and it had a little article about this gal finding out that rope halters may not be so good after all. Mainly due to the fact that the knots do act on the facial nerves of the horse. I knew that already but I never connected that those knots might be causing the trouble I've been having with my 16 month old filly. Charm is a spirited little thing and after working with her quite a bit when I got her a year ago I haven't done much with her. I am wanting to sell her now as my daughter with Autism needs a new big horse to ride (we had to retire her old gelding). So, I want to get her handling nicely and tweak all the little things I haven't worked on. I started working with her and just used that CA halter and she has just been a real pain in the butt. She's either trying to bite me or kick me all the time. She wasn't that way before when I was working with her all the time but I always worked her in a flat halter. Reading that email reminded me of that so for the last couple of days I've been working with her in the flat halter. It's amazing how much easier and how much more on track she is with that different halter. It's like she can think and respond to what I'm asking now. I really think that stiff halter with the knots was causing her pain and making her grouchy.

Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this with their horses?

I have a rope halter. I really like it. It is not something you would use every day. Just while you are working out problems. I like the halters that have the pole knots. In tying the horse learns real fast NOT to pull back. It doesn't harm them and you go on to a nylon halter. The rope halter is only a training aid. IMO.

I too detest rope halters. They used to be the only kind of halter anyone had, but I never liked them--we'd been using nylon & leather halters for years when I came across the old rope halters hidden in a drawer one day--that was about 30 years ago. The newer ones got dismantled and turned into leadropes (big horse halters--quite a bit of rope in those things!) and the older ones got put into an auction sale where someone was foolish enough to buy them.

I can't get over how many people say they prefer rope halters--say they give better control. Since I generally don't have any control problems when using nylon or leather halters, I haven't seen a need to change to rope halters!

I generally don't like them. I have heard you should not tie your horse in them, because they are so thin and can hurt the horse. On the other hand, I heard some people will only tie in rope halters because they don't have hardware that will break.

My horses will never wear them.

Generally the horses I have worked with are well mannered, and don't need "the extra control that a rope halter will provide."

If I have a very difficult horse, I will simply put a stud chain on my lead line, and that converts a nice, comfy flat halter into something with a bit more control.

Andrea

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Cara,[/SIZE]

Did the halter fit her well? It sounds to me that she needs some consistent work to teach her to respect you. But, she is a baby, so don't overdo that little attention span.

I doubt it's the halter, but my advice you be set the rules for her (personal space, yielding to pressure, etc.) and be consistent with them.

Best of Luck,
default_biggrin.png

Oh, I like rope halters btw, I think that they can definently be harsh, but I also think that if the person is responsible enough to have that kind of power then there is nothing wrong with them.

As with everything, in the wrong hands...
default_no.gif

I only used the rope halter once I didnt like how thin they were because I thought that would cut into them but now I order my halters with the 6 ring so that puts the extra one down where you put your lead and if they tug to much it tightens and if they relax it is loose and all of mine are great with them. I also have lots of just nylon ones.

I can't get over how many people say they prefer rope halters--say they give better control. Since I generally don't have any control problems when using nylon or leather halters, I haven't seen a need to change to rope halters!

I agree and especially given that these are minis not the 17 hand horses I grew up with I do not have any issues.

I won't use a rope halter either...really-really disliked them from day one...and that wasn't yesterday.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have heard you should not tie your horse in them, because they are so thin and can hurt the horse. On the other hand, I heard some people will only tie in rope halters because they don't have hardware that will break.
The reason you should never EVER tie a horse with a rope halter is because if a horse does get caught up in it, or pull back violently, the "blood knots" certainly CAN cause severe and permanent nerve damage, causing facial paralasis.

I have been using a rope halter with my 2 year old ever since he was 5 months old. I have never had a problem with it. I love them. They just put pressure on the poll that a nylon halter wouldnt ordinarily do. I dont like nylon halters at all but thats just me. I have never liked them. Its either leather halters or rope halters for me.

I find that if you use them the right way, it shouldnt cause a problem. Obviously if someone were to pull back hard on the lead it would cause a problem sooner or later.

I have used the rope halters and never had a problem. They have to be fitted correctly and that can sometimes be challenging with the minis. They also need to be used correctly. They are a tool, just like everything else. If you don't know how to use it, or are afraid to use it, don't fret. Just use something else that you are comfrotable with.

I never ever leave a halter on my horses unattended - even for 5 minutes in a round pen. I also don't trailer with a rope halter - I use a breakaway, and I also use the nylon halters for some things. Most people don't know how to tie a rope halter on, so if someone else is caring for my horse, they use the nylon ones with the buckles.

For most of my work with my minis I use a decent leather halter. But I did use a rope halter for training for a period of time on one of my boys. He is a big size B mini and when we would lead outside of the pasture he would rear and come straight at me with his feet. I got tired of dodging and dangling as in a flash I would be looking at his butt and wondering if he was going to get away from me. I did some training with the rope halter to get him in control. I never tied with it, but it really did help me get control of the issue. As soon as I had him leading with respect (only took a few weeks).., I was back to using the leather halter and the rope halter really just sits in my tack box now. I don't regret using it when I needed it, this boy was really hard to control and I was worried about him getting away from me and getting hit by a car. I used the Clinton Andersen mini rope halter. Love the leather halters I splurged on, they are sweet and work well... cheers.
default_saludando.gif

I love the silvertip rope halters - the rope is bigger. I do not use them for training or working in. I do use them for all of my broodmares when I need to move from pasture to pasture - easier on and off and only have to carry a couple of sizes with me. I also leave one tied at every gate on the place - you never know when you are going to need a halter in an emergency situation and once again the B sized one will generally fit all of them in a pinch/emergency.

No issues with the rope halters here. I actually prefer them over the nylon but I also have the CA rope halter and not going to pay a huge amount for each horse.

IMO to each their own. I do think the rope halters have a lil bit more bite to them and has to be used correctly.

I've used them for training on a particularly difficult mini stallion, and it was used correctly, not abused. I liked it because it was self-correcting, it would correct his bad behaviour faster than I could react. I would say the majority of Minis don't need it, and I prefer a good sturdy nylon or leather halter for every day use and almost all training, and I would never, ever tie a horse with it!

Won't use them simply because they will not break.

Personally, if something goes wrong, I would really rather the halter breaks and I have to deal with teaching my horse to tie up/lead again....at least I shall still have a horse!!

For the same reason I will not use the nylon traces on a nylon harness, not without "breaking points" anyway.

(Dear Lord you have to have seen my cart with it's bits of baler twine to believe it! It's not smart, I know, but it is safe)

I do use nylon halters, but I would never, ever turn any horse out in one....ever!!

I wouldn't use a rope halter for the use it is sold as I really do not believe that a Mini needs these "gimmicks" sorry.

I can see that a big, stroppy, unhandled, warmblood colt might need something that will give the handler the "edge" and get his attention, but not a Mini, and, in the wrong hands, shortcuts lead to disaster!!

I'm also not a fan of rope halters. Used them many years back when that's what was available - it was rope or leather, and the leather were just for show. I've never found a rope halter I liked for minis and as a rule I don't find them necessary, but I do have a good quality rope halter - without so many the knots - that I use on my daughter's 16 hand mare sometimes. She's not bad but can get a little goofy and I find it just improves her attention span.
default_smile.png

Jan

The reasons I like rope halters:

First off, for those who worry about the diameter of the rope, they do not cut into the horse, even if you think they are thin enough. The double-strand that goes over the nose and pole prevent one strand of rope from digging in. I have seen more "halter rub" with the nylon versus the rope.

I also get more response from the stallions in the rope than the nylon (especially around the mares). And they are easier to use when training a weanling how to lead - comparing the foals, I had a much less of a battle with the rope halters than with the nylon halters.

I like the rope halters because they are easy to take off in a pinch/when the horse is panicked or ornery. Just pull the darn thing over the top of the pole and ears and it slides right off (the horse doesn't know this trick), but if it's a nylon and you have a buckle to contend with...well...you or the horse risk injury the longer you have to mess around.

In the end, nothing is going to be 100% safe.

I personally believe that any halter must FIT in order for it to be effective and safe. For those of you who had bad experiences with rope halters, it might come down to an improper fit.

Any of you old enough to remember the Johnson rope halters? I used them before there was any such thing as flat nylon halters...and they worked just fine! That said, they weren't really a 'close fit',and did have hardware that 'could' break... and of course, NO horse should be turned out unattended in ANY halter, unless perhaps one that is will reliably 'breakaway'.

As for today's 'tied, no-hardware' rope halters...I own a couple in mini size, use them under the bridles on my pair when they are pulling my buckboard, because they are unobtrusive, and hardly visible on my bays(halters are brown and black), but look 'sort of' authentic to the period picture, and, give me a way to still have something ON the horses' heads when unhooking by myself--especially important away from home. That said, I find the need to 'tie' them to put them on a bit unhandy, and wouldn't want to use them for every-day. I don't see why they'd be 'extra-harsh' on a horse, though, but then, the rope halters I have aren't made/sold by any of the legion of 'horse whisperers', so maybe theirs have 'features' I am not aware of! I know mine don't have knots anywhere over the poll....

Margo

We use rope halters here.

The old cowboy style ones and we tie them ourselves. So they fit each mini properly.

And have minimal knots on them.

For everyday use though we have the plain nylon halters.

Once in a while we will bring out the rope halters for pictures ect as I find the nylon halters so thick. (At least what is available in our area)

For the most part my guys are all really good and it doesn't matter what is on their face. Heck I can lead all of them by the mane anywhere I want them to go.

(I had a mass break out one night and no one could find halters so we all just grabbed mane and lead them back to where they were suppose to be)

But with anything I think it comes to how they are being used and personal preference.

Latest posts

Back