Rope Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please remember NEVER to tie a horse with a rope halter. They are made for leading and ground-training, not as tie halters, and they can seriously harm a horse if used as such.

I have been around the big horses and know many a people that only use rope halters including for tieing. But thanks for the input

No, sorry, would not, ever use one. Far too dangerous for the little ones- they never break. They will also cut in if the baby has a panic. Remember NEVER leave a halter on a Mini, whatever you did with the big ones- and I never left one on a big horse either.
smile.gif

I have been around the big horses and know many a people that only use rope halters including for tieing.
I too, have been around "big" horses all my life, and have heard and seen terrible things that have happened because of tying with rope halters. If you read-up about them, it is even written that they are NOT for tying...at all.

The reason being, the knots are placed where they are for a reason. Under each knot, is a nerve, and these nerves can be permanently damaged should too much pressure (as in a panicked or startled horse pulling hard) be exerted.

Because the folks you know, do this, does not make it right...just trying to help. Personally, I have absolutely no use for them in any way shape or form...but that is only my opinion.

I have successfully used the rope halter in roundpen work. I never tie with one and have never used it on a weanling. I have only used it on horses that were older and I was working with "relationship training" wise. Most of the time the halter is only used as a method of getting them from the barn to the roundpen and then the work is done with the horse unfettered by a lead rope. Hope this helps. I believe Star Lakes Sells the rope halters. Good Luck

[SIZE=14pt]Ok I will say what I have expirenced....I work at a clinic and had a MASSIVELY large QH Stud in that had eye trauma....also had parlysed lip and ear on one side.... he couldnt blink his eye which in turn caused the injury... that week the owner (large woman herself 300 ++ pounds) had took the stud out and her pulled her off the ground straight up. This pulled the ROPE HALTER tight over his head and damaged a facial nerve. This caused all the problems with the stud....after that I wont use them. I know a mini is a lot smaller, but the possiblity is there for sevier damage. This horse has been treated for going on 6 months.[/SIZE]

April

frekles93 said:
[SIZE=14pt] This pulled the ROPE HALTER tight over his head and damaged a facial nerve. [/SIZE]April

453679[/snapback]

My guess is that the halter was not tied right. When tied right they don't get tighter.

I'm not going to get into a heated discussion over rope halters. We all believe differently and are entitled to our opinions.

I use them on my full-size horses and have been quite happy with them. I've tied horses with no problems. Although, as I couldn't previously find weanling or yearling rope halters, my young horses have all be halter trained with web halters; so none of my horses have worn rope halters until after they were halter trained.

I also don't leave halters on my horses as a rule. On the rare occassion it has been necessary, they wear web halters at those times.

My guess is that the halter was not tied right. When tied right they don't get tighter.
That would matter, actually, in which direction the horse was straining. Even if the halter doesn't "pull tighter" per se...it will still put massive pressure against the face on the opposite side of the pull.

All I know, is that there are written warnings by most rope halter manufacturers warning not to use them to tie a horse with. It is your horse...your Vet bill, and something you will have to accept resposibility for, should it ever happen.

quote: Tying horses up solid with rope halter and Parelli type lead rope can cause serious injury to the horse if you have not done your homework and learnt about the 30 or so traps. unquote: IMHO...it is best to avoid it.

I tie my own halters and have some w/nose knots, but most dont. This is really simple to do, just leave them off, you can put a twist or 2 into the nose and it looks great. I do tie w/mine BUT all of my current horses are pros at tieing and do not pull back. I wouldnt use a rope halter on a young or inexperienced horse , least not for tieing up. That being said , most nylon halters will not break either, they are really strong. Have seen a 1300lb heel horse set back and yank w/all he was worth and not even put a 'dent' in his nylon halter. To be safe all horses should always be tied w/a panic release, either a pain release knot or panic release in the tie strap.

My mare just freaked the other day and was sitting on her butt she pulled back so hard with a nylon halter. It didn't break and I didn't have panic snaps because none of the stores in town had them
sad.gif
If you are worried about that then get a leather halter they always break on me when a horse pulls
rolleyes.gif
I like rope halters for training and one halter usually fits many horses great for my boarding facility. We ordered panic snaps and normally that is what we have on EVERYTHING!!! That was one great invention if I say so myself
laugh.gif
But your right everyone has their own opinion

Latest posts

Back