Rolled Oats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Rolled Oats? Any of you that feed oats, can you still get actual steam rolled oats? The last

probably decade, any thing I've picked up labelled rolled oats are actually just crimped oats

(or flattened oats). I would love to find the good steam rolled oats that are nice and flat,

almost like oatmeal. So, do any of you still find actual rolled oats? [i don't want to get into

a debate about whole vs rolled oats, just want to know if actual rolled oats are still

available.] When I was in college, we fed 1/2-1/2 rolled oats and barley (that was full-sized horses), and if I could find it, I'd use it now. [barley is pretty much always rolled or it isn't

utilized well, so I know grain can still be rolled.] TY.

I can get it at my local feed mill if I special order it. And I can get it at Tractor Supply, but it is EXTREMELY expensive (around $18 for a 40 lb bag) ....so I'm just feeding whole oats for around $6.50 for a 50 lb. bag.

I can get it at my local feed mill if I special order it. And I can get it at Tractor Supply, but it is EXTREMELY expensive (around $18 for a 40 lb bag) ....so I'm just feeding whole oats for around $6.50 for a 50 lb. bag.
Cleaned whole oats are around $15/bag here, so $18/bag for rolled isn't horrible around here. Wish I could get oats for $6.50 bag (considering it's only worth around $2.50-3.00/bushel out of the field, tops). [We do have some homegrown oats, but they aren't very clean, so I haven't wanted to feed them to the horses. They were also put up just a bit green. And, the heifers need all we have.]

I buy steam rolled oats from Masterfeeds--$9-something a bag. They also sell 60-30-10 (oats-barley-corn) for about the same price and I do buy that too. The horses seem to prefer it over the rolled oats. Often I ask for one and they are sold out so I just take the other instead.

Jean_B beat me to it with the Tractor Supply suggestion. I've seen them there.
Would be great, except that the closest TSC is 150 miles one-way. Which I do get to once or twice a year, and stock up on the hay pellets I like for my stallion's treat ball that keeps him occupied.

Well that is quite a drive! We have a TSC about every 20 miles around here. I 'm so used to seeing them I just thought they'd be everywhere.

Does Nutrena have those kind of oats?

I used to always feed oats but got away from it as I have a pony with an oat allergy :-( My big horses always looked good on the oats and they liked them.

Does Nutrena have those kind of oats?

I used to always feed oats but got away from it as I have a pony with an oat allergy :-( My big horses always looked good on the oats and they liked them.
I believe they do, but not all dealers will carry them.

I feed groats. There is an exotic bird mill near me and they will bag up groats if I call ahead. Kind of expensive at $23 for 40#, but I only have 2 horses and it lasts a long time. I love going to the warehouse; it smells so good.

The last time I checked, we could get steam rolled oats here but like others they are substantially more then other feeds - often more costly then the pelleted feed that I feed (now $17/50#). The prices do seem to fluctuate more on the oats than the other feeds, too, and field oats from any feed store in our area (or the mill) are almost as high as the crimped or steam rolled. I have found that whole oats bought from any feed stores in the last few years were always dusty/dirty - though it always states "clean" on the bags!

I am actually talking to our hay guys - I may start buying whole/field oats from them. Will check out how clean they are first, though. His prices appear very reasonable and I will then do free choice minerals/vitamins.

Latest posts

Back