ROKU... do you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Do many of you hear use or know about Roku?

http://www.roku.com/

We've had them for maybe 18 mos or so, and I cannot get over the value they pack!

It's a device that allows you to watch tons of movies and TV programs on your TV if you have a high speed internet connection. It's a tiny box, maybe 4"x4" or less (square but approximately the size of a deck of cards). If you have Netflix, it will tie into that account, but there are MANY free "channels" as well. On ours, we have tons of things and pay for only our NetFlix (which we had anyway) and a service called HULU which is only $8/month and you can watch almost any TV program on it, plus some movies and extras. The FREE channels have enough to keep you entertained for 1,000's of hours.

There are several Roku models. The least expensive is $50, with the most expensive being $100. It's just a one time purchase, nothing ongoing unless you choose to get some of the paid "channels". Set up is extremely easy. If you can log on to LB, you can setup a Roku.

In the past couple of years, I don't think we've gotten a "tech" type thing that has impressed me more. I recommend it to anyone who has high speed internet
default_yes.gif

They did just come out with a new one ($100) that has a way to plug ear buds into the remote, so you could watch TV w/o disturbing your sleeping spouse... I'm ordering that one now
default_yes.gif

We've had Roku for a couple years and we LOVE it!!!! It's a great value and since we are busy and don't have time to watch TV or movies, it's great for when we do have the time!

Liz N.

Plus, it really lets you watch when it suits your schedule! I swear, it's the neatest thing I know of when it comes to tech toys!

Plus the movies are very much up to date - we just watched Zero Dark Thirty and Argo!

I would really be interested in this. But I am addicted to HGTV and Bravo channels. Was not able to determine if I would be able to get those channels. I do not even watch the network channels, just HGTV, Bravo, ION, SCYFY, etc . Anyone know if I could get those channels with this?

I would really be interested in this. But I am addicted to HGTV and Bravo channels. Was not able to determine if I would be able to get those channels. I do not even watch the network channels, just HGTV, Bravo, ION, SCYFY, etc . Anyone know if I could get those channels with this?
I've not been able to find them yet, if you can....but there are educational programs on HULU, and you can get alot of the older Nat Geo stuff and some Scifi stuff too, like Dead Zone, Firefly etc on Netflix. Some Discovery stuff used to be up there too, haven't checked in awhile but like Dirty Jobs and How it's Made etc were on there. Netflix is usually a season or so behind (when stuff comes out on DVD) so if you have no patience for your latest shows, you may not enjoy just Netflix. HULU will play current seasons of stuff...but only certain ones. Like CBS and NBC, I think...doesn't put all it's shows up. Or it's 'web' only which annoys me some. HBO has HBO.GO, but you have to have a subscription with a provider like Dish, cable etc. to get it through the ROKU

Overall though, I do love my ROKU, we have 2, one for each TV, a cheaper one and HD one and have moved off of the high priced cable bills completely. We were already paying for Netflix and I added HULU. We have an Amazon Prime account too, which we've also connected to our Roku. I don't think I've used it yet though.

There's a channel I just "discovered" that does have some programming I didn't know you could get on Roku... NowhereTV. I think the channel code (it is "private", which I think only means not advertised) is H9DWC.

If FOX News ever starts streaming 24/7, and if the NFL strikes some kind of a deal, I think we'd never miss Directv... seriously!

We got rid of Direct TV last month and got the ROKU. I heard about ROKU on this forum in another thread and told my husband about it. We are thrilled with it. He watches InfoWars every day while I am feeding horses. I cook listening to Pandora music. Then we watch a Frazier episode. I sneak in a couple of One Tree Hill episodes daily. I love the cooking videos on the (I think) Healthy Living Channel. They are just amateurs in their not fancy at all kitchens and some of them are so much fun you just want to hang out with them. I don't even miss the local channels but we were told we could buy a special antenna if we want to have them. Right now I am content just knowing that we kissed the big satellite bill good-bye. Weekends we watch Netflix movies. There is also a free movie channel called Crackle. We are also watching House of Cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
We really love ours and I've been aiming to look more fully at the programming they offer. I think it covers A LOT of what we enjoy watching, and I can see it as an alternative to satellite or cable.

I was looking at this at Walmart for my parents, but haven't purchase yet. I wasn't sure how easy it would be for them to navigate it.

I have a blu-ray player with WIFI so we can watch Netflix with it. We tried Hulu (plus), but the one show we really wanted to use it to watch was only available on-line and not streaming (made no sense to me!). We do also sometimes watch Youtube videos on it, the longer ones. I wish we could watch Amazon's instant shows, we do purchase the USA shows when we miss them, that's the other reason I was looking at the Roku.

Sometimes my Blu-Ray doesn't find the wireless network to connect, do you ever have trouble with that and the Roku? I know the easiest way is to not go through WIFI, but it would be a bit of a hassle to run a second cable to connect our blu-ray player directly to the internet.

I have never had a problem with it connecting to my net if it was up and running. I moved where I am last Aug. A cable bill wasn't something I could afford now or even then, but wanted some kind of background noise in my house. This has been perfect and I haven't missed out on anything!

For the wireless issues, I think it has to do with the distance between the router / transmitter and the device. There are inexpensive extenders you can buy that can amplify the signal
default_yes.gif

I cannot imagine life before this! It is the best thing since sliced bread. We are saving about $75 a month and not missing the trashy commercials or surfing surfing surfing for something to watch. I am now into VEVO music videos. Loving the cooking videos and it is helping me to cook healthy and find a recipe in a flash! We finished watching Jericho last episode this weekend so will be returning to Coppers. Both excellent!

We might have to get second tv because my husband is glued to Rockford Files.

ROKU adds new channels all the time. No telling what we have yet to find on there.

Yikes! I've created a monster. My husband came in and found VEVO on and now he has found videos of Robert Cray. He has the front door open and is dancing, playing air guitar, and thinks he has his on stage...oh no...now it is Stevie Ray Vaughn. All he needs is an audience. Oh, no looks like he might have some fans in the drive by traffic.
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

I am going to go for a walk and play like I don't live here.

Isn't it awesome!!! I swear, I think it's the best gadget to come along in YEARS! We used to have three, but were really only using 2. I gave the "spare" to my parents (for their second one). If they start streaming FOX News live, I seriously would get rid of a big DirectTV payment each month. It is the coolest thing and so affordable, with SO MUCH to watch -- and so much of it really just FREE!

Latest posts

Back