Rockhounds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All my life I've sort of looked down while walking. Sometimes for footing, but usually because I'm looking for treasures. I enjoy rocks. Don't know anything about them, but I can't resist a roadside rock shop or pawing through a newly delivered load of river rock.
Last week while walking to the elevator to weigh this rock caught my eye. It sort of looks like a piece of candy. My companions think I'm rather nutty to pick up rocks!
I laid it on a UV light, and WOW. I think it is quartzite.
I do try to stop on my walksrock.jpg sometimes and look up and around at the larger world!

I think you are right that it's quartzite. I'm actually a geologist by training...but long out of practice since I haven't used it since finishing grad school. But I still like to look at cool rocks. :)

Another suggestion from the rockhound group is smoky quartz.
Reading about fluorescence--very complicated. I've read a little in the past because of my button collecting, but buttons fluoresce for different reasons than rocks, I think. Their composition is controlled.

either way...nice find!
I love rocks, too.....and, yes, people think I'm weird when I stop to pick up rocks....or they find out I have a bunch of rocks in the bottom of my purse (them: "why is your purse so heavy...feels like it's full of rocks...haha!"..........me: "uh, yeah, it is full of rocks)

I thought I would tell about my 50th birthday party. Everyone was to bring 50 things not worth anything, and the guests voted on the things worth the least. It was lots of fun. A highschool friend brought me 50 rocks! He was a relic hunter, and guided tours to old gold mines and campgrounds so the rocks are all unusual an interesting. I have a natural grotto here so that is where I put his rocks, and I add to them sometimes. Great memory of a fun party,grotto rocks.jpg and I think of him every time I arrange those rocks. (first prize for something worth the least was 50 grasshopper heads, byw).

Latest posts

Back