Rock "It"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strass

Reaction score
I just got back from Texas A&M. Took little Rock "It" up there for the last time.

The poor little guy came down with a rare problem that caused his immune system to attack his own skin. The vets assured us that his condition was not contagious and that none of our other horses were at any risk whatsoever of getting the same thing, so we brought him home to treat him.

He's been on steroids for a few months to control it, and we have been slowly tapering his dosage down. He was doing better, until about a week ago, when my wife found some spots on his skin showing signs of it coming back.

The vet/dermatologist took a look at him and confirmed our fears. She told me that he would have to spend the rest of his life on pretty high doses of steroids or he would suffer.

As a former college athlete, I have seen more than my fair share of the effects of steroids. I was mentally strong enough to refuse to put that crap into my body, but some of my friends were not. I've seen what happened to them after only a few years of use, and I just can't cope with the thought of doing that to a sweet little horse. I'm VERY anti-steroid because they just kill ya' slowly from the inside.

My wife and I have talked about this A LOT the last several weeks and we made the decision to let Rock "It" go before he suffered any more.

I want to thank Carin Ponder for being there to make sure that my little buddy went to sleep peacefully and for giving me a hug and reminding me that it was the right decision.

I must have looked pathetic...a 270 lb grown man crying over a 250 lb horse, but I don't really care right now. We loved Rock "It" (as we do all our critters) very much and we had high hopes of him following in Red Alert's footsteps. At least I was there to give him some treats, pet his long pretty neck, and whisper in his ear that I love him.

Godspeed little buddy...we'll miss you.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

PICT1559b.JPG

My heart goes out to you. ((((HUG))) Know that you gave your little friend a quality life.

Mike,

Words cannot express how sorry I am for the loss of your sweet boy! Please know that during this difficult time you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that one day in the not to distant future the sadness you feel now will ease and thoughts of Rock 'It' only bring a smile to your face and happiness to your heart.

God Speed Rock "It"!

Sincerely,

Tammie~

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I am so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful guy. He was beautiful and it's never easy to lose them no matter the way... Crying is healthy even for men
default_crybaby.gif
:

May Rock "It" gallop and play to hearts content, feeling no pain now and knowing you and your family LOVED HIM so very much. He is now watching over YOU
default_wub.png
:

My condolences and God Bless
default_pray.gif
:

Jenny

My heart goes out to you for your loss. Sending prayers and hugs.

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Please know that I definately think you did the right thing by Rock "it",and is very fortunate to have had an owner as strong as you to make the right deicision. God Bless!!

I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend.......and for having to make such a heart breaking decision. This is a time when love really hurts. (((hugs)))

{{{{MIKE}}}}
default_bye-sad.gif
: Like I said privately, my heart goes out to you and Lisa. For those who've never seen, Rock "It", he's a sight to be hold (even wooly). Such prestige and spunk. I'm thankful I was there to give you and Rock "It" a peaceful good bye. Nobody is pathetic crying over a beloved friend.
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Mike & Lisa --

I am so sorry about Rock "IT" and reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I am just so sorry.

Jill

I am so so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing and saved him much suffering, at the expense of your own. Bless both you and Rock It. You are very brave.

I am so sorry to hear about Rock "It"

He is just gorgeous!

Hugs and prayers for you as you deal with the loss of your precious little man.

I can't believe this has happened to you and I am so very sorry! I know he was much loved and you will miss him so very much.

My Deepest Condolences Mike, how very sad... :no:

It sounds like Rock IT had a wonderful life, it is just so darned hard to let them go, isn't it? You had an incredible amount of love and respect for him, to put his welfare above your own wishes to keep him with you, that is indeed very admirable. It shows just how much you loved him.

I am so very sorry Mike, hugs to you and Rock IT. (((((((((((((((((((Mike & Rocket)))))))))))))))))))

Nancy

[SIZE=18pt]Mike So sorry about your little buddy. Take comfort in knowing you did what was best for him and he loves you for that![/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back