Roan or Appy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topnotchminis

Reaction score
This is my two year old Buck Suede. Do you think he is a bay roan or a blanket appy? I have been told different things. Thanks.

new009.jpg

Appy. Definitely appy.

If he were a classic roan, his head and legs would be dark, while the rest of his body would look "roany." His white is primarily centered around his rump, and it is not evenly roaned throughout his coat.

He's a VERY cute boy!!!!
default_wub.png

He could be both. Were both parents appy? If not I would say he is both classic roan and appy.

Well, the sire is not roan nor appy. I think he got both from his dam. He looks like what they call a false snowcap. Which means he has white but no spots and is not a real snowcap. This happens when classic roan and appy are both present. I could be wrong since appies are so hard to figure sometimes, but that is the most likely from what I can see.

Both, his head and legs are darker than his body, his body is roany, and the lighter area on his back would be appy frosting (and wouldn't be surprised if he carries varnish app too)

He looks roan to me, not Appy roan. I find it interesting that his dam is either a grayed out Appy? that is out of a solid white that came from 2 pintos and a red roan stallion? Where is the Appy in her pedigree?

Does he have white sclera and mottled skin? It does not appear in the pics that he does- especially the foal pic shows typical non appy roan with the dark head that stays solid and the body roaning. Appies, when they roan like that, will roan all over with at least SOME on the head, etc...

I am saying he appears to be a non Appy roan to me. I have seen many that roaned out a LOT on the body like this, full sized horses too, that people mistook for Appies, but they had no characteristics or genes to go with the coloring.

I tnink he IS true roan...AND has some appy going on. So...both. The foal picture with that very dark head, is what tells me he is roan. Most aapy roans are not that light, that early...they are born solid or nearly so, and roan-out as they age.

I find it interesting that his dam is either a grayed out Appy? that is out of a solid white that came from 2 pintos and a red roan stallion? Where is the Appy in her pedigree?
I'm betting his dam is not "grayed", more than likely she is a varnish roan, which is why they have her as a chestnut appaloosa, she's just varnished out to the point she doesn't have any "color"... Her sire is listed as a red roan appaloosa on allbreed so right there (if it's correct) could be the answer to the question.. Looking at the mare there is no question IMO that she's appaloosa..

I've had three foals born here so far that carry the varnish roan appy gene, two that were out of a varnish roan snowcap (who, just like the dam of the colt in question, is completely white except for legs and mottling on her face) and the third being this year's black colt out of a black tobiano mare.. All three have started appy roaning at different ages and at different degrees.. The first colt took a year and a half to start roaning, the second (out of the same dam) started roaning almost immediately and the last just now, as a 4 month old has started to get white hairs on his face..

Does he have white sclera and mottled skin? It does not appear in the pics that he does- especially the foal pic shows typical non appy roan with the dark head that stays solid and the body roaning. Appies, when they roan like that, will roan all over with at least SOME on the head, etc...
I am saying he appears to be a non Appy roan to me. I have seen many that roaned out a LOT on the body like this, full sized horses too, that people mistook for Appies, but they had no characteristics or genes to go with the coloring.
Without the sclera and mottled skin I would say he is a roan...and a beautiful one at that.

I have a few spot /white appy that the only giveaway to his breed is the sclera and mottled skin. Here is a helpful like to Appy colors.

http://www.appaloosa.com/registration/indentify.htm

Check out his tail...it is "greying" as most varnish roan appys tails do, from the top. Were is a "simple" true roan with no appy gene...that tail would be solid black, like the mane.

As for striped hooves, scelara, and mottling, those are characteristics, but not all Appy types have all the characteristics. I have had registered Appaloosa horses, and mini appys with no obvious mottling, and no stripes on their hooves. Yes, the scelara is pretty-much always there tho', but not as obvious in some horses.

Latest posts

Back