Roadster In-Hand? New AMHR class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
Hi All,

I saw that AMHRs site had posted the show premium for Nationals and I downloaded it and looked it over and one class caught my eye, roadster in-hand. What exactly is this class???

It sounds interesting and was just wondering what the heck it is, there is no height divisions, looks like its just an open class, and its just listed as Under, Over.

Can anyone give any details?

They have always had this class for the shetlands. try looking in the rule book in the shetland part. I have watched it many times and its just pretty much what it says. With the shetlands they even wear roadster silks and do it in hand working on the rail

Oh my gosh, that was one of my FAVORITE classes to see at Congress. I'm not sure how a mini would look compared to a true Road Pony, but I remember that elderly gentleman who has that GORGEOUS old black stallion with white socks showing at Congress. Anyone know his name or the horse? They made the class look good.

Here it is in the Rulebook, page 120

Shetland Pony Roadster In Hand – Exhibitor to

wear stable colors – tailer, colors are optional. Pony

must show in a Roadster performance class at the

same show. Pony shall be shown with boots and

roadster bridle. Overcheck is optional. Pony shall be

led with a lead shank attached to a bit ring. Pony to be

shown on the rail at a jog and at speed. To be judged

60% on conformation and 40% on way of going

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds neat. But geez, sounds like the runner needs to be in exceptional shape. Guess you should start cross-training to be in shape for this class.
default_biggrin.png

Yeah, you have to run pretty fast!!! That's why I think this class should be so entertaining at Nationals. At Congress, only a few people have Road Ponies and even fewer want to RUN next to them
default_smile.png

Andrea

I love watching the modern roadster in hand, if i had to do that ..i would be passed on in center ring having a heart attack. I would imagine it being less physically hard with the minis. I dont think they have a classic road in hand class, i think they just have it for the Mods ? I could be wrong, but i do not remember seeing classic road in hand.

Its a hoot to watch
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Yes Leeana I think it's only for the Moderns.

A mini would certainly be easier to keep up with!

Andrea

Ha, if I were at Nationals I could enter that
default_biggrin.png
I've been jogging my show horses, they might get 10-15 minutes each, but when I have 3 to work I was getting 30-45 minutes. This used to be easier to do when I was showing Morgans, I used to run with the yearlings a lot when I was getting them ready to show...but that's been a few years ago now. Still, this year after the first few days it did get easier and I was out there running around at a pretty good clip at times. Mom was impressed at how well I was keeping up when she watched the one night.

Minis might be easier to keep up with than Shetlands or the Morgans, but I'll tell you what--if you've got a road horse type Mini that can do a real road trot...you still need wings on your feet to keep up.

puff puff puff

Yeah! I'd love to see pics of this. I'm sure besides passing out, I would fall on my face (I'm not the most graceful). I do running in the timed jumping courses for AMHR and that about does me in (and I'm a very out of shape 23 year old!).
default_biggrin.png

well shoot if I had known I could have taken pics for you guys at greenville.

I cant remember the elderly mans name either but he was showing again at greenville. I just love him!! He has been showing ponies for 50 plus years and I am always amazed every time I watch him show in hand roadster. I could only hope to be moving that well at his age. He so loves his ponies and his enthusiasm is contagious. If hes at my next show Ill take pictures!!

I will NEVER forget it, last year (i believe its the gentleman kay is talking about), won roadster in hand and gave his pony a great big kiss on the nose, i will never forget it
default_wub.png
. I think there was a photo in the journal as well
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

I have seen the gentleman and his roadster pony show and win "in hand" and they are a pair for sure, you can tell he loves that horse.

I so have a mare that could do this class, only if they didn't have to be in a bridle.........we just got introduced to a halter so I could see her in a bridle already
default_new_shocked.gif
but she can flat out trot a lick.

I've only seen this class for Moderns, but it is so fun to watch!

It will be interesting to see how the mini turnout ends up.
default_laugh.png

I love the very idea of this class -- Mingus would be perfect for it, but oh my, would I ever be wrong! You think it was entertaining at Congress...just imagine my handsome, statuesque bay boy, with his "modern mini" look, ego flying at top mast, dragging a frumpy, not so svelte woman...yikes!

After our very first show adventure, which some of you may remember (does a nose that looks like a walnut ring a bell?), my sister gave me a refrigerator magnet that shows a running horse's rear end and streaming tail, with a woman flying behind, desperately holding the lead rope. It reads: "She who runs with the horses."

I love my sister...

After our very first show adventure, which some of you may remember (does a nose that looks like a walnut ring a bell?), my sister gave me a refrigerator magnet that shows a running horse's rear end and streaming tail, with a woman flying behind, desperately holding the lead rope. It reads: "She who runs with the horses."

I love my sister...

ROFLOL!!! I want one of those!
default_biggrin.png
Your sister sounds like a hoot, lol!
default_biggrin.png

Gentleman in Question is Tom Sanderson, father of Melanie Rimmer of Windermere Farm.

Pony is Davy's Declaration ... who would be old enough to legally drink later this summer were he human.

Picture of Tom kissing this pony was from the 2006 Congress

Remember ... this isn't JUST a halter class. If they run this class to existing rules, entries MUST also drive in a roadster class. Handler MUST wear colors.

Rule require entry be shown in a road bridle. I would recommend using black vet wrap to bind up the overcheck. It causes problem if it's flying around whacking either the pony or the handler.

Of course those are the official pony rules. Often classes at AMHR Nationals adopted from the pony divisions aren't always made to run by the real rules.

Pound for pound, you'll see more injuries in this "halter" class than in just about any other division.

Class has not always existed. It was added sometime in the 80s. First time it was run, no one really knew what to do ... they had the entries running the around the ring. You quickly saw most tailers standing in the middle gasping for breath.

Now ... most good or experienced judges will ask you to work the rail in one direction at one speed and to work "at speed" coming back. I never saw it run like that after the first time ... thank goodness.

Wonder how they'll do this at R Nationals where animals don't work the rail?

AHR

Thank you SO MUCH for that information AHR!
default_yes.gif

I just LOVE watching Tom and "Davy's Declaration" in that class!

Andrea

Latest posts

Back