Roached Mane and Bobbed Tail-EEEEKKK!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
A second thread to go with my other about the extremely obese mini we just got back. They had a cockle burr problem and roached his mane and forelock off (there's maybe almost 2"'s growth now). And - Horrors!
default_thud.gif
- they bobbed his little tail hair off clear up to the bone and then cut the hair on the bone short!!!! He's has nothing to swat flies with! (and not enough to braid and give him a temporary false switch)
default_frusty.gif
. Anyone out there have success with any products and procedures to hasten and/or help hair growth???
default_please.gif
:please

Time and lots more time. You can't really do much on the surface (some products will help reduce breakage, but as hair is dead, there isn't much to be done for it externally); just make sure he's getting a balanced diet and the good nutrition should help his mane and tail grow back healthy. Perhaps a biotin supplement would help,not necessarily with the speed of the regrowth but perhaps the quality of the regrowth.

Poor little guy, but it sounds like he's back in capable hands.

So the hair growth and the obesity are going to go hand in hand for repairs LOL! We wanted to get him in training to drive and then maybe a show or two next year. I told my husband we might as well use our Draft harness and work for the Single Draft class-he's got the tail for it at the moment; but not enough hair to braid and put the 'bling' on with! When we get him back to his 4 year old weight (I hope) he should go Western country pleasure. When we had him in the past we showed him Halter at the County Fair rather successfully and he went to preschool and elementary school for visits with our mare.

You never know, with proper nutrition, his mane and tail might be look decent by next summer.

Gosh - I want to post photos so bad (on former topics too)-need to get printer and computer working together again. Then need to figure out how to post on here. I have a number of good photos of him as a 3-4 year old in show shape. I don't have a camera at present, but maybe the cell phone sent to my email? Or my Mom's camera for current pics. I want some anyway to document how he shapes up. He's so sweet. Just noticed earlier that, though his hooves looked to have been trimmed MAYBE or maybe just worn down-he has one front one that is worn on the inside and longer on the outside and toe and he is toe-ing in twisting it slightly as he walks. Wasn't that way when he left here. He had good little feet and legs. I sent a quick call to my Farrier!

Chanda is spot on with the Biotin. Grow hoof=grow coat too! Good luck!

I actually roached my mares mane. Someone actually docked her tail before I bought her... it was infected and falling off a week later because I had no idea that they had done it. I got her from an auction. So hers is truely bobbed. A year later and her tail is almost to her hocks. I think she looks quite lovely with a roached mane with the short tail.

Yes, I could live with the roached mane-it's his poor pitiful little almost hairless switch of a tail that makes me sad-but we'll work on it!

It will grow. I know I wasn't happy at all to begin with but, it grew on me. Biotin and mtg work great for the bigger horses. Be careful not to use the mtg all the time.

Minis hair seems to grow really fast- I think you will be surprized by next year how much you have. Should have a decent mane anyhow and plenty of tail to braid something in (if that is legal to show with, dont know) Grand Champion spray to make their hair shine takes those burrs right out of their hair- almost where you can just comb them out, without having to cut hair.

Well-with the itty-bitty amount of hair left, the 3 burrs I found pulled right out with my fingers! I was thinking that about braiding something into the tail next spring if he has enough hair on the bone, which I am sure he will. I will be snitching hair off our others! (black and white tail?!!!). Two of our blacks are retired from the show ring and have real thick tails-they probably wouldn't miss some LOL!!!
default_whistling.gif

Chanda is spot on with the Biotin. Grow hoof=grow coat too! Good luck!
If a high protein diet increases hair and nail growth in people then I don't see how it would be much different in horses. The metabolic process of breaking down protein to be used in the body actually utilizes energy so it shouldn’t affect any more weight gain.

Sound like Marty might have the right idea because the word "biotin" suggests that it is a protein. Is this Biotin an oral product?

I've had great luck with Shapley's M-T-G. Rub it into the base of the tail and base of mane and it does promote hair growth. You don't use it daily. Also, Omega Horseshine supplement works wonders for skin and coat and hair growth. I'd love to see a photo too! I'm glad you got him back.

Latest posts

Back