Rising Costs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading this post and it really made me think. I would never subject my colt/stallion to be gelding with out any drugs to relieve the pain. If you don't think there is pain, you are wrong. I saw the expression in my minis eyes when the vet didn't give him enough to help relieve the pain.She quickly gave him more to help him thru the surgery.

I understand the outrageous pricing some vets are getting for this and they should be ashamed. I realize they have expenses and what not, but they are not helping the horse population by making the procedure almost cost prohibitive.

Then I got wondering why doesn't the local and larger humane societies offer help with the gelding of horses? I mean they offer help with the neutering of cats and dogs, why not horses? Did it ever occur to them that maybe they would help with some of the unwanted or accidental breedings that occur? Not to mention maybe save some colt/stallion unnecessary pain from surgery done by someone who is not a vet and doesn't give the proper drugs necessary?

It is also sad the miniature horse world doesn't appreciate the geldings more. I LOVE my geldings and they are worth their weight in gold. Don't get me wrong, I love my mares too but the geldings have stolen my heart.

Sorry about the long rant but this is my thoughts on this.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

• I have had a few of mine gelded over the years and it used to be around $75 if I took him to the clinic. Recently I called to see what it was now since someone interested in one of my colts also wondered what it would cost if I had him gelded first. It is up to $95 for the whole procedure and sedatives etc. Not bad at all. But I love my vet! If they came to my farm the farm call is $65, but it is not a big deal for me to haul the 13 miles to town to take a colt. I am in Wyoming.
Susan O.

Pulling out my paperwork, back in 2010 just the procedure, not including the sedatives or call fee was $160, so until all was done and said it was approx $240. When having procedures done at home I try to schedule a few things at once to make it worthwhile for the call fee. The last one I took in was my Gypsy Vanner to be gelded earlier this year. I think it was around $290-$320 for him. Prices went up, no call fee, but I think I also had a fecal done and I believe I opted to be sent home with excel.....I believe that is what it was, a slow release antibiotic to be administered to prevent the onset of any infection. That was $25 per shot, so $50 for the two of them and the fact that he is much larger than a mini so the sedation was more expensive (he is almost 15h at 1.25 yrs old).

As far as the old school amish way of gelding...was explained by my vets that they are basically put into a location or area like a cattle shoot or against polls or any thing that with confine them to a small tight area to geld them, very traumatic and brutal. I am about an hour from the Lancaster Amish area, my vet is only about 20 minutes from there, the vets at the clinic I use see many of the ill effects of some of the old school amish practices. They are not all like that, but the old school practices are still going strong in that area.

Latest posts

Back