RIP Dell Tera's Checkers and Vandy's Smoke and Mirrors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelsey

Reaction score
I know some of you have already seen on facebook but not all of you are on there so I wanted to announce it here.

About a week and a half ago, we lost our main stallion Dell Tera's Checkers. He was an amazing sire and so good with the foals. He was one of the original sire's at Dell Tera Ranch and made his way all the way to California.

Here was my tribute to Checkers:
It is with extreme sadness that I must announce the passing of a legend. This morning, Dell Tera's Checkers aka Checkers was laid to rest. He was loved by so many and made a huge impact on anyone that came in contact with him. This little stallion had tremendous heart and was always a gentlemen to his mares and foals. He was one of the original herdsires of Dell Tera's Miniature Horses before they retired. When I first got him he was covered in mats and did not want to be touched. He became an amazing show horse, sire and friend. To my beautiful Checkers: From the moment I saw you, I knew you were one of a kind. There will never be another. You taught me so much. You showed everyone that it just takes some team work and persistence to turn a backyard stallion into a national champion. You showed that love and passion can go just as far, if not farther then any fancy/expensive trainer. I love you so much. Thank you for showing me that dreams do come true and that you should never give up on them. May your sons, daughters, grandget and your last unborn foal carry on in your footsteps. You will be missed but never forgotten. ♥ Kelsey

562415_451589681585293_1444151359_n.jpg

Still grieving the loss of Checkers just two days later, we lost his 4 year old son who we were just starting to use on his first mares. We had great plans for him and he was had such an amazing personality. He had a hairball/enterolith, twisted and started shutting down internally before they could take him to surgery.

Sam's tribute:

To my amazing Sam. Who would have thought that we would lose you just 2 short days after your sire, Checkers. At only 4 years old, you were just starting to become fully mature. There are really no words to explain the sorrow we all feel right now. We had to many plans for you. We couldn't wait to break you to drive in the summer and watch your first babies be born. Checkers' passing was still so very fresh in our minds but it helped to cope knowing we still had you. Not only were you stunning but you were always making us laugh with your funny personality. I am still in complete shock that you and Checkers are gone. I miss you both so much. We have lost many horses over the years but these two by far have been the hardest loses and to have them occur during the same week has been unimaginable. Love you Sam and Checkers ♥ Kelsey

576531_315776481833281_509138053_n.jpg

On the day we lost Sam about an hour later, we were blessed with the arrival of Checker's last foal and Sam's half brother.

His name is Kels and Kel Phoenix Rising aka Phoenix. He has a wing on his shoulder and we named him after the saying/myth of the Phoenix rising up from the ashes. It seems very fitting given the circumstances. In Greek mythology, a phoenix or phenix (Ancient Greek φοίνιξ phóinīx) is a long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. The phoenix was subsequently adopted as a symbol in Early Christianity.

376061_454122824665312_1485267636_n.jpg

931381_454121987998729_1013197816_n.jpg

Anyways, thanks for reading.
default_smile.png
We sure have had our ups and downs lately and I know others have as well.

-Kelsey

www.kelsandkel.com

www.facebook.com/kelsandkel

Last edited by a moderator:
What a touching tribute to your 2 beautiful boys..such a sad story..but every cloud has a silver lining and you certainly have yours..what a beautiful little boy to carry on the great circle of life..All the very BEST for the future

((hugs)) so sorry for both your losses. Your tributes are wonderful. Love your new lil one, may he give you hope.

So very sorry for your great losses. But glad to see that their legacy is going to be carried on in your beautiful new little one.

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine losing your two beatiful boys so close in time. Your new foal is beautiful, and I hope he will follow in his daddy's fooststeps!

So sorry for your losses, I can imagine how hard it is on you. Glad you have the little guy to carry on their bloodlines!

Such hard losses on top of each other! Not fair. I'm so sorry
default_sad.png

What a blessing to then have such a lovely boy deliver safely in the same time frame.

Im so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now x what a beautiful and touching tribute , I hope little Phoenix will help you get through this sad time . I love your new baby's name , its very fitting ...perfect

I have tears in my eyes at such huge losses to your hearts and your program. I'm so very sorry! {{{Hugs}}}

I remember I had finally *just* made my dream stallion mine (had just sent in his papers to transfer) and we lost my beloved Spuds. I prayed that one of the 5 mares in foal to him would give me a son. Withing the 2 weeks after we lost Spuds, his two only sons were lost. I did get 3 daughters, but no son. The loss of all 3 were devastating. I can imagine the pain you are in and I'm sorry. I'm glad you have a new son to carry on!

So very sorry to read of the loss of your two beautiful boys - words are so difficult to find at times like this. ((((HUGS))))

Your new little one is certainly a fitting tribute to both his Father and his half brother - I hope you can once again build your dreams with him.

Oh, that is SO sad, I am so very sorry for your losses, how terrible for you!
default_sad.png
I hope that your little Phoenix helps you deal with your grief.

thank you all for your kind words!!

I know many of you can relate. So sorry for your loss REO. I know the feeling all too well.

What a beautiful Phoenix rising from the ashes of your sorrow! May he carry on in his father's footsteps and fly high!!

So Sorry for your loss Kelsey....
default_sad.png
..The loss of a pet new or old is so devastating and my eart truly goes out to you...<3 ..Congrats on your new little Pheonix though.. I am sure you will have many years of love and laughs from him
default_smile.png

Thank you all!

Thank you Castle Rock. That was our thoughts exactly
default_smile.png

OMG, what a horrible and tragic week!! Big hugs for you- I can't imagine taking one blow like that after another. Congrats on your new little one- he has some shoes to fill! What a blessing that was sent to you.

Latest posts

Back