Riding Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

littlehorse2

How old should they be ? Is it easy to train them? Should they be a certain size? And if so what is the weight limit? I'd like to train my 1 yr.old gelding for my son to ride. My son is almost 3. I was told that they couldn't have anyone over 50lbs on their back. Is this true? If I can find a pony that rides and drives that would be even better, but for now I want to train this one.

Christy

I would think as a rule of thumb a rider should be between ten and fifteen percent of a horses body weight. That being said a yearling is far to young to have anybody on its back. A two year old would be fine for just a couple of minutes being led around but a horse should be three before it is expected to work at riding, driving and jumping.

I'll let someone else advise you on the size, height, and weight thing.

A yearling is too young to be ridden.

But I would like to comment that I would not have a 3 year old child of mine on any green broke horse, being led or not. I would have a nicely older trained mount for a child to learn on for safety reasons.

Marty- you read my mind!! By the time this horse is ready to be ridden your son will be too heavy. Sorry
rolleyes.gif

Okay. Tahnks for your replys. I figured my gelding was too young, just wanted to know so when he was ready. Also I know that my son will be too big by then. Again tahnks,

Christy

Latest posts

Back