Riding horses on roads, streets... What side?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
I know how this works driving, but when riding, I tend to look at it differently. I would rather see what is coming at me. Is there a rules somewhere about this? I don't do a lot of riding on roads, but enough that I wondered what the protocol was. Anyone know? Are there places to look this kind of stuff up?

When I "Used" to ride on the road... I always faced the traffic... people are less likely to do stupid things if they can see your eyes. Personally didn't care what the laws are for this. Rather be safe as possible.

When I "Used" to ride on the road... I always faced the traffic... people are less likely to do stupid things if they can see your eyes. Personally didn't care what the laws are for this. Rather be safe as possible.
Ditto, better to see what's coming at you and better for your mount to see too
default_wink.png

yes i believe there IS a law that you are supposed to go with traffic (at least in some states i'm sure). I'm pretty sure i saw it in the Maine BUT i'm with you all i'd rather be facing the traffic. 1.) it's easier to see most times than hear cars when riding 2.) horses are less likely to spook or be jumped by a quiet car sneaking past unawares 3.) I agree i think people are less likely to do stupid things to a rider if they know you can see them

i've logged thousands of miles on the road and i prefer going against traffic when possible. All of my horses are fine either directions but i just think it's safer.

We dealt with this issue when I had my suburban 42 member 4H club.

We called the local police and the information they got back to us was

that, our area's law, was that horses had to follow the same rules of the

road as vehicle traffic.

Probably best to call your local jurisdiction and see what the laws are there.

I will say that none of the members was ever bothered, by the police, for riding

facing traffic.

I don't want you riding along side the road at all. That's too dangerous. I don't want you to ever have an accident.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back