Ridges - ITS PINK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard the 3,3, and 3; but think mine look pretty good as yearlings, these boys look much better as yearlings than the filly I raised that is now 4. Wonder when they'll go through their yearling uglies?
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to share some photos of this crazy girl. I swear our billy got through the fence before Wazza got to Sweety coz Liquorice is showing more signs of a kid than a foal lol. She tries to climb Phoebe all the time. She has started to nip a little so I've told Phoebe its not allowed. I don't think Phoebe is telling her off tho! Sweety is being such a good mum to let us play with her bub.

7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Very cute!

Careful about letting her climb or roll on people though, I let Derby do it and had to fix a few personal space issues as he got older.... and heavier!
default_new_rofl.gif
Do you have any of those bendy feed buckets? Derby and then Loki have a blast with climbing and rolling all over them. Very funny to watch!

Yeah i've got three, I'll see if she likes them. Why are all the cute little things a pain when they get bigger lol.

Many of our babies are 'in your lap for a roll around' types, most of them grow out of it naturally over time. Notice I said MOST. LOL!!

Yes, finding her some safe toys to play with would be a good idea as she doesnt have any other baby companions. Glad Sweety is being her normal angelic self, bless her.
default_hypocrite.gif

I think she's just glad to get a break! She so patient and lifts her leg for Liquorice to feed but you can tell when she knows Liquorice is just bored and sucking empty teats
default_new_rofl.gif

Love those pictures!! They are such fun and I've had many sit in my lap over the years! She's just lovely!!

As Sweety has always been regularly wormed, there is no need to worm little Liquorice until she is 2 or 3 months, then use a gentle wormer as she will possibly only have normal round worms at that age. Continue with the gentle wormer monthly from then on, changing a more 'extensive' wormer (same as you use on Sweety) once she is 10 - 12 months old. From then on she can join Sweety in your normal worming routine. At least, this is what I would do, especially as you dont have lots of other horses grazing your pastures.
default_yes.gif

Ok thanks, will put a start date in the calendar!

Was having my arvo cuddle and she has started to nip a little. I firmly but gently pushed her away each time and in the end she just wanted to stand and cuddle so today she has maybe learnt its not ok. Probably will have forgotten by tomorrow lol. She appears to have some mottling going on around her vulva now. Not sure if it was there before and I didn't notice it but where the black joins the pink inside it is a bit dotty. Also found some stray snow white hairs (about 4) on her forhead where a star would be if she had one. Hoping this also means spots. The fluff around her face is starting to come off a bit, must be the nuzzling mum, and it looks kinda more brown now than black. Also can notice a faintly darker black line down her back. Wazza (sire) is registered as a dun, altho I could never find a dun back stripe or leg stripes.

Yes, the appaloosa traits will start appearing. Mottling and even striped hooves can appear as they mature, so I'm sure she inherited some genes with both those parents. I can't wait to see how she changes!!

Sometimes the dun stripe that many are born with, is just countershading, and disappears as they mature. Many a horse has been registered as a dun, that really wasn't. But it will be interesting to see if daddy really was a dun and she is showing some of the traits. With duns, time surely tells.

Can't wait for a new picture or two!!

I find the girls less mouthy then the boys, they seem to get the idea that it's inappropriate much quicker!

Colour wise it will be interesting to see what she does! Have you got some pics of Wazza for me to stare at and look for dun characteristics? You know I love my colour puzzles
default_wink.png

Will try to find some, can't remember where they are saved.|

Here's another colour change I noticed today. Her body fur seems to be changing to black brown, probably from all the sunbaking, but her mane is still pitch black. On close inspection her colour of today looks like a black bay.

OMG!!! I cannot believe i missed this, she is just gorgeous!! Looks like such a fun little girl too. Congratulations! I cannot wait for more pics
default_smile.png

Here are pictures of my 'Black horse' (I think he is a smokey black) so you can use as a bit of a comparison
default_smile.png

Pictures on the left where taking the day he was born, top right picture was at a couple of days old and bottom right is him at 3 years old(he looks the exact same now just fatter haha)

Cocoa & colt.JPGCooper 23.10.07.JPGcoops.jpgP2270120 - Copy.JPG

Your boy is definitely a smoky black Jade, colour is almost identical to mine
default_smile.png
Love the cream gene on black!

Now Bree, I would have called this horse a Silver-Black.

/monthly_09_2013/post-44574-0-17278600-1379123774_thumb.jpg

Looks identical to my horse now deceased Tompkins Silverado (of Gold Melody Boy lineage), who was genetically tested with a cream gene on black with a silver gene showing. Don't know what the pedigree or color lineage is on this one, but sure looks the same visually.

silverado1.jpg
silverado2.jpg

Hayley I am so in love with your little bundle of joy!!! I am late and have missed a lot, but she is just precious!!! HUGE congratulations, she was well worth the wait!!!

The baby photos give him away Diane
default_smile.png
A lot of the silver blacks are born more biscuit coloured while this guy popped out very black.

Here's Baringa, registered incorrectly as a silver due to the excellent impersonation of silver that the smokey blacks often do
default_wink.png

vmc10_sat_01-05_034.jpg

friends.jpg

And you should warn me before posting pics of your boy Diane, now I don't have a bucket handy fro my drool :p

Edit:

Jade posted this awhile back http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132227&do=findComment&comment=1524220

So we can see the sire is straight black, no silver.

Plus some of this boys colour shifts are identical to what I've seen Baringa do over the seasons. He does that horrible "look at my glorious golden mane.... no wait, I've turned it red and black again. haha."

Latest posts

Back