Retired Brood Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was getting burnt out with working with youngsters, and decided to take a break from that challenge by taking a gentle retired brood mare as a companion for my driving gelding. Bridgette is 20, but in great shape. She and Dapper Dan settled down together without any problems at all.

I've ponied her behind the cart, and plan to introduce her to the bit after her dental appt. Don't see why she can't have a second career as a driving horse.

I want to get her clipped and bathed before being photographed. Waiting for stable weather to do that.

Anyone considering a second horse as a companion might think of having a retired brood mare. I figure she has several more years of good life to share. In fact, I am thinking a retired brood mare could be a very good choice for one's first horse.

I agree with you! If a horse checks out healthlt etc and they enjoy what they are doing, there's no reason why age should stop them from leading a "2nd life"
default_smile.png

We are using retired broodmares as 4-H projects where they are doing great! After 9 pregnancies, Sox is being trained to drive right along with her 3 year old son Rusty. Both were hooked this spring. Mira (Max's and Bunny's dam) is a bit behind in the cart training but is turning into a fantastic hunter. I firmly believe that we need to show that minis are capable of doing much more than just producing more minis!!!!

Sox_4_20_2.jpg

Mira_jump_4_13.jpg

Spring the mare in my avatar always had 2 jobs, she was a broodmare, but also did many off the farm visits to nursing homes, schools, hospice facility, etc. She is retiring from both jobs due to arthritis & her last foal has been primed to take her place.

My other mare does mini riding lessons for children, is greenbroke to drive & does a few tricks. I have always valued my mares for much more than breeding!

Im currently long reining one of my brood mares and plan to drive her , shes 9 yrs old so shes not old and retired but I figured with the market so slow Id not breed her for a while , shes enjoying it too

I bought a brood mare last year at the age of 15 and trained her to drive as a member of my team. She is AWESOME!! I may raise a baby from her in the future as I really love her disposition and that of her son and grand-daughter.

Retired broodmares or any older ponies, as older stallions work too, are AWESOME to train to drive as 2nd or 3rd careers.

Good for you for giving her a job.

I decided to stop breeding,and have some lovely brood mares who are going to learn to drive, At least they will know how to do something, if I ever Have to find them new homes.I think some of them will be easier than youngsters. They have had plenty of handling over the years and I think will enjoy their new jobs. I started working with a couple yesterday if it does not rain today I will be working with them again today. I am already planning one mare to teach this fall after her colt is weaned.These mares will live for years and just because I am not breeding does not mean they have no use.

Ah oh! Just ran into a problem. I've usually had geldings, and a mare creates a different scenario--the property at the end of our fence line has a colt in it. My horses had been using the whole acreage for grazing. Today I let DD and the mare out to the larger area and didn't even register in my brain about the colt and S E X. I brought the mare up and will close off the area again. The colt is supposed to be gelded, but knowing the owner, I'm not sure when/if that will happen. My new mare is all girl, so that fence line isn't going to work. Complications!! He is not quite a yearling.

Back