Results From Steward Being Sued

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterridgefarm

Reaction score
As many of you know an ASPC/AMHR/ASPC Steward was sued by the owner of a horse that was measured out. I am the Steward.

Over the last 18 months there have been a lot of comments posted. I would read the comments but I would never respond.

Today the case went to trial and the Judge dismissed the case because there was no proof that I was negligent. I was simply doing my job as a Steward.

Some may think a Steward has an easy job, all we do is measure horses and ponies. That's not the way it is. We have to deal with all kinds of situations. Some are difficult.

At first I said that I was going to give up my card and membership and not deal with this. But then I said, why give up. I'm proud to be a member of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPC and a Steward. I'm going to fight this.

Thanks to all those who helped and supported me.

I am sorry that you have gone through this. I have heard of some vindictive responses to people who have measured out, but to sue you? Pretty low. Glad it is over for you.

As many of you know an ASPC/AMHR/ASPC Steward was sued by the owner of a horse that was measured out. I am the Steward.

Over the last 18 months there have been a lot of comments posted. I would read the comments but I would never respond.

Today the case went to trial and the Judge dismissed the case because there was no proof that I was negligent. I was simply doing my job as a Steward.

Some may think a Steward has an easy job, all we do is measure horses and ponies. That's not the way it is. We have to deal with all kinds of situations. Some are difficult.

At first I said that I was going to give up my card and membership and not deal with this. But then I said, why give up. I'm proud to be a member of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPC and a Steward. I'm going to fight this.

I can't wait to read the transcripts! Didn't the association find that the horse was NOT over 38"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks who measure DONT have an easy job.... folks want their horses in a smaller class, or in a taller class, or have a horse that does not measure in period. I've seen big trainers use their size or whatever to try to intimidate the measurer and literally get in their faces at times. Threats are made.

I dont envy anyone with that job and good for you for not quitting. Yes, I think it is rather silly to go as far as suing someone over it. Why wasn't it handled by the owner in the usual methods? I have had horses vary on measurements at different shows under different conditions.

Hang in there.

I haven't followed you're case, but good for you for sticking to your guns if you know what you did was right.

Personally I've always found measuring Minis to be so inexact - we're dealing with .25 incremental measurements in the first place. Add to that animals depending on temperament can be relaxed or on tip toes; long hooved/trimmed to short; nervous; taught to swan dive to dip their back; fake mane hair; mane hair cut off accidentally; etc. There are so many variables. I always tell buyers coming here an approximate height (ex. I've measures X at 32.50-33.25) and will happily put a stick to any of them. This way I can't be accused of selling a horse to short/tall for what a buyer is looking for.

I can't wait to read the transcripts! Didn't the association find that the horse was NOT over 38"?

The association found the horse to be a tight 38. What we dont understand is the horse has a permanent card of 38, why didnt she give it to the steward at the area 3 nationals that year and have it validated instead of getting a new measurement card.

When she called the ex-handler on this horse she told her this horse has never look this good before come and take a look at him so the ex-handler did and the ex-handler said yesterday in court that yes the horse did look great and she carried her measuring stick with her and she measured 39 on her stick. At that time the ex-handler told her about the rules are harder on measuring then what they had been in the past. The owner then said to the ex-handler I can get measured in at 37..

Like the Man said in the black robe yesterday she only had one time to act on this and then it would be over. We were sticking to our balls that We NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG... Last night I got the best sleep in almost 2 years..

IF the association would like a copy of the transcripts we will be more then happy to give them a copy of them.... without a problem. But to answer your question no they will not get a copy from our courts.

We hope this clears this matter up. I will say this on here I dont want no fighting match over this. She was able to come on here and tell her side of the story just like we are doing.

this is not hear say as this has been recorded in the courts in Richland County SC

Just like my husband said we are happy to have this behind us so we all can move forward.

The association found the horse to be a tight 38. What we dont understand is the horse has a permanent card of 38, why didnt she give it to the steward at the area 3 nationals that year and have it validated instead of getting a new measurement card.

When she called the ex-handler on this horse she told her this horse has never look this good before come and take a look at him so the ex-handler did and the ex-handler said yesterday in court that yes the horse did look great and she carried her measuring stick with her and she measured 39 on her stick. At that time the ex-handler told her about the rules are harder on measuring then what they had been in the past. The owner then said to the ex-handler I can get measured in at 37..

Like the Man said in the black robe yesterday she only had one time to act on this and then it would be over. We were sticking to our balls that We NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG... Last night I got the best sleep in almost 2 years..

IF the association would like a copy of the transcripts we will be more then happy to give them a copy of them.... without a problem. But to answer your question no they will not get a copy from our courts.

We hope this clears this matter up. I will say this on here I dont want no fighting match over this. She was able to come on here and tell her side of the story just like we are doing.

this is not hear say as this has been recorded in the courts in Richland County SC

Just like my husband said we are happy to have this behind us so we all can move forward.
Ok, so if it was a tight 38 then it did not measure out? I suspect there is more to this story. How can you go forward when you post this on a public forum? I heard that both her case and your countersuit was dismissed making it a draw. The transcripts will be public when they come out so anyone can read them.There are two sides to every story but the first one that gets to slam someone on a public forum is who people think are telling the truth.

Ok, so if it was a tight 38 then it did not measure out? I suspect there is more to this story. How can you go forward when you post this on a public forum? I heard that both her case and your countersuit was dismissed making it a draw. The transcripts will be public when they come out so anyone can read them.There are two sides to every story but the first one that gets to slam someone on a public forum is who people think are telling the truth.

Fran

Her case was dismiss due to the fact she did not have proof. Her key witness said in court that a Steward did not repersent the assoc.

in which case a steward does repersent the assoc. he stated that they are contacted they dont not repersent the asssoc. which is not true. READ RULE BOOK

also Fran the person that remeasured this horse stated that the horse had NO HEEL at the time of the remeasurement. this was told to my husband and one of his witness. SO this is not hear say....

my husband was not out for money he wanted to prove his case and he did. The owner of this horse never showed proof to her case. The judge that handle this case said that she NEVER showed proof of loss of money or proof of negligence so there for her case was dismissed due to that fact.

Like we have said Fran we are happy to have this behind us. AS the judge stated in court yesterday this was the finial decesion. He asked the owner did she want to go head with this case. The owner said yes. so yes we won our case because my proved his case that he was not negligence.

My husband case agaist the owmer of this horse was dismissed he did not care to get money from her he just wanted to prove his case.

Fran if you like you can email us over this matter or call us and we will give you all the detail that you want. Please dont forget that she came on here and slam us at first. All we are doing is telling our side to this

Diane

We all know our measurement system is not exact in any way. A horse that might squeeze in or even be a true 38 inches one day can easily be a 39 inch or even slightly more another and even a 37 .50 horse another day.

To not realize the issue is in how we measure our horses and that it is not an exact science simply does not make sense to me.

It is a risk you take when you show a horse who is close to the line. Most who show 38 inch horses or those very close to it realize this and accept the fact that there will be some days for whatever reason the horse does not measure in.

Good for the steward for having the courage to stand by his measurements and his principles. We could us more of the same in both registries. As Lisa stated: "measurement of horses is not an exact science" and can vary from day to day and time to time.

Gary Owen

Good for you.

If you don't want a chance of your horse going over, you don't show a horse who is on the line. I have a 34" horse, and yes, sometimes he measures over. I knew getting him that he might measure different depending on who measures him, and I don't like showing him against 35"-38" horses, but it was my choice to buy a horse that was right on the line, and I surely wouldn't sue someone over it.

Sorry, you have me at a disadvantage since I do not know your name.
default_smile.png
I haven't read any posts on this forum about this issue other than this post so maybe you can show me where it is? I don't know... It is here-say to people like me whom have not heard things ourselves from all parties involved. That is exactly what here-say is. It's just a prettier word for gossip. I really hate to see people bashed when there is always another side. There is no good that can come of it.

The rules on the height have never changed so I don't know what the ex-handler could possibly be referring to. It has always been 38".

As I read this statement, the court case was NOT about whether the horse was 38", 37", or 56". It was whether or not the measuring steward was negligent. The very fact that this was pushed through to trial indicates that both parties felt very strongly about their cases.

However, the case has been judged, and the steward (as I read it in his statement) was found to have NOT been negligent.

I've heard pieces of this story. I'm not going to give any information given to me. It was, In My Opinion, a situation between the horse owner and the AMHR and has been settled. If someone chooses to dig out more tidbits or pass along "hearsay", have at it. The case is over, end of story.

I will say congratulations to the steward as I know how stressful this has been to him, his family, and other AMHR officials. While I don't know who the other party was, I'm sure it was very stressful to them and their family also. I see no purpose in trying to dig out details. As a former show manager, and new AMHR/ASPC steward, I know there are a lot of stresses and emotions, hopes and dreams involved in showing, not to mention cost. What should be a fun hobby - but exhausting! - can turn quickly into something really ugly. If the US Congress can agree to try to stop the bickering and backbiting, can we as horse people do anything less????

I am happy for you that you got the case thrown out.

And thank you for showing us just how petty and vindictive people can be.

When she called the ex-handler on this horse she told her this horse has never look this good before come and take a look at him so the ex-handler did and the ex-handler said yesterday in court that yes the horse did look great and she carried her measuring stick with her and she measured 39 on her stick. At that time the ex-handler told her about the rules are harder on measuring then what they had been in the past.
Who takes along a stick when they go to look at someone else's horse (unless asked by the owner to measure that horse) unless they are looking to make an issue of height? Sounds like she knew just how borderline this horse is and was out to eliminate him from competition if at all possible.

the person that remeasured this horse stated that the horse had NO HEEL at the time of the remeasurement. this was told to my husband and one of his witness. SO this is not hear say....
This is actually hearsay...you have no proof other than your word that any such thing was said, unless of course the witness comes forth & verifies it...and even then it's still he said/she said....
In any case, what does the allegation of NO HEEL really have to do with anything? So many people trim the horses' feet right down to the very bare minimum of heel in order to fit those horses into certain height divisions. By doing so they are not violating any rule in the rule book (and if it were a rule violation then you stewards should be policing it and putting a stop to it!!)

I have no dog in this fight. I don't personally show any horse that is so borderline in height, and will not do so because it's just not worth the hassle. I have the utmost respect for any steward who measures accurately and fairly and sticks to his/her guns when an owner gets grouchy about a horse not measuring in.

I am happy for you that you got the case thrown out.

And thank you for showing us just how petty and vindictive people can be.

Who takes along a stick when they go to look at someone else's horse (unless asked by the owner to measure that horse) unless they are looking to make an issue of height? Sounds like she knew just how borderline this horse is and was out to eliminate him from competition if at all possible.

This is actually hearsay...you have no proof other than your word that any such thing was said, unless of course the witness comes forth & verifies it...and even then it's still he said/she said....

In any case, what does the allegation of NO HEEL really have to do with anything? So many people trim the horses' feet right down to the very bare minimum of heel in order to fit those horses into certain height divisions. By doing so they are not violating any rule in the rule book (and if it were a rule violation then you stewards should be policing it and putting a stop to it!!)

I have no dog in this fight. I don't personally show any horse that is so borderline in height, and will not do so because it's just not worth the hassle. I have the utmost respect for any steward who measures accurately and fairly and sticks to his/her guns when an owner gets grouchy about a horse not measuring in.
Yes she was asked to be measured so exhandler did do it...

our witness were there when this statement was made..

Diane

As I read this statement, the court case was NOT about whether the horse was 38", 37", or 56". It was whether or not the measuring steward was negligent. The very fact that this was pushed through to trial indicates that both parties felt very strongly about their cases.

However, the case has been judged, and the steward (as I read it in his statement) was found to have NOT been negligent.

I've heard pieces of this story. I'm not going to give any information given to me. It was, In My Opinion, a situation between the horse owner and the AMHR and has been settled. If someone chooses to dig out more tidbits or pass along "hearsay", have at it. The case is over, end of story.

I will say congratulations to the steward as I know how stressful this has been to him, his family, and other AMHR officials. While I don't know who the other party was, I'm sure it was very stressful to them and their family also. I see no purpose in trying to dig out details. As a former show manager, and new AMHR/ASPC steward, I know there are a lot of stresses and emotions, hopes and dreams involved in showing, not to mention cost. What should be a fun hobby - but exhausting! - can turn quickly into something really ugly. If the US Congress can agree to try to stop the bickering and backbiting, can we as horse people do anything less????
Thank you Ruffian

Fran in another post you said that you did not know my name?????????? and you have not seen other post..

Fran in another post you said that you did not know my name?????????? and you have not seen other post..
I still do not know your name! LMAO And yes, you said she slammed you but I haven't seen it. So what is your name??? LMAO

Sometimes peoples actions and attitudes leave even me speechless.
default_biggrin.png

Either way until we as a registry can come up with some magical way to be more accurate and exact when it comes to measurements those with horses on the line (and yes I am one of those) need to suck it up and accept the fact that a horse can and has measured differently on different occasions

Ruffian I agree with you totally. I will be the first to admit I have allowed myself to get caught up in the mean and petty behavior over things that truly are not important nor directly involve myself.

A few months ago I had no choice but to truly re evaluate things in my life and choices I had made and look at the end results and the truth is this

I do not have my ponies and minis to be right- I do not have them to allow myself to be mean and bitter- I do not go out and feed and clean in the freezing weather to live in the negative. I have my ponies and minis to enjoy them. I have made some amazing friends and when I spend more time focusing on the positive in the registries and the people in them I enjoy myself a lot more to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back