Rest in Peace Rock River Farms Little Al

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
First, I just want to thank everyone here that's offered insight, advice and support these last few days. Since I wasn't in the office this morning, they called Grandma at her house to tell her that Al went downhill last night. He didn't want to fight anymore, and the vet strongly suggested that it was time to let him go. As those of you that followed his thread know, we were planning on giving him more time to see if the swelling would go down enough to try alternative treatments, but above all else we didn't want him to suffer, and according to the vet on duty he was really suffering this morning. It kills me that I didn't get to say goodbye, but everyone at the clinic wanted us to know how sweet and willing he was with everyone on the staff, so I think he knew they were trying to help him. I told him he was a good boy every day, but it still doesn't seem like enough.

He was really special - to us anyway - so I'd just like to share a little about his life. We lost my grandfather, the heart of the farm, at the end of 1992. Al was born in 1993, the last foal bred by my grandpa, so of course he was named after him. Both of Al's parents lived out their lives here and died in their sleep in their 20s. I always thought some day in the far distant future Al would go peacefully as an old man in his pasture, too.

Al was shown pretty extensively as both a junior and senior stallion (HAME members that went to their AMHA shows in the 90s might have seen him), but he didn't earn many points because he was usually first in a class of one in the under 28" division. I remember when we took him to a club show with our full-sized horses once where we entered him in a huge pony class for kicks. The other exhibitors snickered when our little guy trotted in, but there were some sour grapes when he took first over all the Quarter ponies.

It was his big heart that made him irreplaceable though. He did anything and everything you asked of him, and despite the fact that he was a stallion his gentle nature made him our first choice whenever we dealt with the public. When we took him on school visits, he was such a gentlemen that he always held "it" until he was back in his trailer. He actually went on stage for a children's play once, and stood like a pro the whole time. Some of my other minis are pretty wily little creatures, but Al didn't have a mean bone in his body. When I had colts, Al was always their weaning buddy, and he was a real sweetheart with his mares. If I wanted him to go somewhere, all I had to do was put my hand on his neck and start walking.

I've been on this forum eight years now, and it's been such a blessing to me in so many ways. After Grandpa died, we did very little breeding, and when I moved to Las Vegas our mini program pretty much hibernated until I came home a few years ago. Al was totally unproven at 15, and I thought he was beautiful, but I was worried I was barn blind. I appealed to the LB members to ask if they thought he was a worthy stallion, and I received a lot of positive (but honest) advice. Because of your encouragement, Al's legacy lives on through his three daughters. I took two of them out to his paddock this afternoon to watch them run and to say thank you and goodbye to a horse that was so much more than a horse to me. He was family, and I hope people can go over the Rainbow Bridge, because I'd really like Grandpa to see what a special friend he gave us.

Here are a few pictures of Al over the years:

babyal.jpg
threeamigos.jpg
alside.jpg
al772.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was very touching and Im so sorry you lost your friend. I am happy you have some daughters of his to live on. Beautiful little guy.
default_wub.png

So sorry you lost your very special boy. Its obvious he was well loved and very special.

What a special little guy Al was. He was the best type of mini to love and cherish, kind and big hearted. God speed Al over the rainbow bridge.

Oh I am so very sorry to hear the news of Al's passing. I was so hoping that he could be helped in some way. It must have been so very hard for you to make the decision to let him go, but you did it for Al, and for that I'm sure he would have thanked you. I am sure that we again meet up with our special four footed friends at Rainbow Bridge, so I have no doubt that your Grandfather will see Al.

I also want to thank you for telling us a little about Al's life, he was a very lucky lad to have been with you and your family all his life. The pictures too are lovely - what an attractive lad he was.

My sincere sympathy to you all at this very sad time.

Anna

Oh Tiffany, I'm SO sorry!
default_crybaby.gif

I'm sitting here crying.

What a grand gentleman he was! He was blessed to be so loved by you and you were blessed to have such a great boy!

His memories will live forever in your heart.

{{{Hugs}}}

I have been following your previous thread, like so many others, praying for th ebest for your beauiful little guy. I am so sorry to hear about the outcome.

I forgot to say earlier that Al's loss won't be in vain. It would have meant a lot to me to bring him home and bury him by his sire, but it was the right thing to do. We agreed to have a class autopsy done on him, which means that veterinary students at the university will be able to learn from his injury and hopefully some day in the future use what they learned to save other horses. When I get the full report, I'll be sure to post it here, since I know I'm not the only one that wants to know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry about the loss of your little boy
default_no.gif
. But his legacy lives on through his daughters and in your own fond memories of him

What a beautiful tribute to a grand horse. He was obviously loved in life and his memory will ramain a special part of you forever. I'm so sorry that this story didn't have a happy ending for both of you.

May you find comfort in remembering your gentle friend.

Charlotte

I am so sorry to hear this. I had been following the other thread and was hoping, praying for a better outcome. What a great tribute you wrote to help us understand how wonderful Al was.

I'm so sorry, Tiffany. Remember Al through his daughters and their offspring. His legacy will live on.

Wow what a neat little man he was to you. I am sorry that he is gone. That was a wonderful gift you gave future horses with spinal injuries.

In a more rational frame of mind I'm not a big advocate for sentimental breeding, but I have to say that Al's daughters really have been my biggest comfort through all this. His 2010 filly - most likely his last since he was only with this year's mare for two weeks - is spoiled beyond spoiled and likes to climb into my lap and "hug" me. I was planning on naming her Charybdis to honor her very spunky personality, but now we'll be giving her a more suitable name to honor her sire. If anyone has any clever ideas, please do share. For those that are curious, here are Al's three girls. Each of them got a little piece of him - Lola (2008) has his head, Dyna (2009) has his heart, and little Desi has his color:

Lola2009.jpg

dyna531.jpg

desiweek2.jpg

Latest posts

Back