Respiration rate on a weanling - help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odv

Reaction score
I just brought our new baby home and we couldn’t be more excited, she’s 4 months old, beautiful and sweet temperament.

We’ve owned large horses our whole life, so I noticed that her respiration rate is faster than it should be.
She doesn’t seem to be in any distress or pain, she has a very healthy appetite and is drinking water just fine.
Everything else looks just fine, but I’m just not comfortable seeing her respiration rate high like that.
I remembered a friend used to have a horse who would breathe like that when he was hot. My friend had to body clip him a couple times in the summer to keep him cool.
So I body clipped her, she was sooo good about it and wasn’t scared, just curious about seeing/smelling the clippers, she looks even more beautiful but respiration rate still high.
I read online that foals tend to have a higher respiration rate, but even then it seems higher than the “normal range” for a foal.

Hoping I can get some advice here from people who have experience with minis and foals.

Thanks a lot in advance

Wondering how your foal is doing. I don't know where you are from but I always ended up clipping the heads and at least the neck/chest area on my foals as the summer heat seemed to bother them. I am in MN. No advice on the respiration rate though. Hopeful that you put in a call to your vet for some good advice.

Back