Rescued an Arabian Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mininik

Reaction score
Meet Norah. She's 22, approximately 15hh, flea bitten grey. Very skinny, very sweet.

P1012947.jpg

P1012949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks very sweet. She has a very kind face. It is so wonderful that you rescued her. I hope everything works out for you both.
default_smile.png

i have a soft spot in my heart for them, used to show davenport arabians. other than being thin, she looks like a wonderful mare. i bet when she gets some groceries in her, she'll be a knock-out!!!

She is a beauty - I wish you luck with her, can't wait to see updated pictures as she progresses!

There was a very skinny mini mare with her foal at side at an auction I went to this weekend. The prices were horrendous, and there were a few minis that go no bids on them whatsoever. Registered healthy minis. I had to leave. Now ever since then I'm kicking myself for not staying around for the skinny mare at least. I didn't want her to have to go back where she came from if no one bid on her.

I don't have a great set-up for quarantine and I've got a mini foal at home right now that I'm very protective of. . . but still.

Did I mention I'm still kicking myself?

Good for you for taking this girl on!

She is lovely......Good luck with her........
default_wub.png

Beautiful mare! Even now you can still see the majestic look in he eyes. Please keep us posted as she progresses.

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely post updates. I'm really looking forward to getting her out on the trails once she's fit. She's very trusting, sound and sane. Can you believe she was only $100.? I think she's priceless.

She's beautiful, and you're wonderful for rescuing her! I agree that with a few groceries, your new friend will be gorgeous!

But I want to hear the rest of her story...where did she come from? How did you come across her? Do you know anything of her background?

I found Norah (then known as Squirrel) on dreamhorse a few nights ago. There was no picture, only a short description that fit was I was looking for; an older, sound, quiet, rideable Arabian mare. I called the next day and went to see her shortly thereafter. She was pastured with about five other horses on mainly dirt. I felt her all over, looked at her teeth and really liked how calm she was. I was able to hop on her bareback and ride her in the pasture with only a halter. She was dirty and I liked knowing that the woman hadn't had time to alter her for the sale in any way since I met her in town and we drove out to where the horses were on short notice. The woman who owned her frequently takes in and resells horses and said they got her from someone who was going to put her through an auction. She didn't know much more than that. She also told me that since she'd had her she'd been looked at several times, but no one came back to buy her. The entire transaction only took a couple hours before Norah was settling in at her new place. The other horses looked good where she came from, so I gather that she was just the low one on the totem pole. She has an awesome appetite and lots of food now, so I hope that with a good deworming she'll turn around soon. I'm on my way to visit with her now that I'm done grooming for the day.

What a classy mare, despite her condition. Good luck with her!

Jan

I bet once she gets her teeth floated, is wormed and gets some FOOD, she will shape up VERY quickly. She looks lovely and bless you for taking her in!! Worth every penny, she looks like a grand old mare.
default_yes.gif

The latest: Norah has been dewormed (Ivermectin Gold) and I started her on EquiScience GoldenEra Senior feed. I'm going to start mixing in some Weight Builder soon, possibly tonight if I can get it. I'm putting a call in for the farrier and found a vet to do an air float on her teeth. She's looking better already and has started romping with her new pasture buddies.

Good luck with here Nicole. Pretty girl. Love those greys with the big black eyes. It's like you can see right into her soul.

I really appreciate all the encouraging posts. I'm off now to find some Weight Builder to put in Norah's dinner.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back