Rescue or breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether to breed, go to a breeder or rescue is dependent on what you are looking for.
I have bred some of my mares, and I might again; but it's a gamble as to what you'll get and if everything will go right, so only breed if you are willing to risk your mare.
Go to a breeder if you are looking for something specific, new to horses (find a good and honest breeder), show horse (most shows require registered animals to participate), etc.
Look into rescue if you are experienced and have the knowledge to deal with an equine that may have problems (either emotional or health). If you want to go with a rescue, but are inexperienced, work with a reputable rescue organization that will help you with the process and hopefully match you with an appropriate equine for your skills.

I don't buy horses from rescues. Never. I've had close dealings with a few of them and it has left me sour on them. To me it's like buying a puppy from a puppy mill. I also don't see any reason to avoid a breeder. When you spend the time picking out stock and deal with the ups and downs of breeding, watch that foal born and take its first steps...you tend to care more about the home and finding a good match than the money.

Why rescue especially? What is wrong with buying a nice horse someone has for sale? Nice horses need good homes, too.
I don’t know I just thought, rescue or breed? I didn’t think about buying horses from good breeders and nice blood lines in that moment. When I posted this. All horses rescue, bought, bred, deserve a good home.

After reading all the above comments, I don't know quite what to think or say. IMHO there are already enough unwanted dogs, cats and horses in the world. I imagine that whether your "rescue" an animal or buy one from a breeder depends on what you want to do with the horse and what kind of experience you are hoping for. My first miniature horse was given to me by my farrier after my riding horse Chico died. It was his daughter's horse. She had outgrown her so she was now designated to a small round pen on their side lawn. When I went to visit her before deciding as to whether I wanted a mini, she often had no water and you could tell that she was neglected (not abused, just forgotten). I had never had a mini and actually never thought about getting one, but I couldn't say no, knowing that she would continue living in that tiny pen. She was originally from a breeder (Laurel Acres, NJ), had good lineage and great training, so I've had the experience of having a "good" mini. My farrier is a breeder of Percherons (he supplies Disney with many of their teams.). Anyway, she was given to me and as far as minis go, I've never looked back. She was the best horse I've ever had. When my last riding horse died, I got my 2 donkeys to keep Lady company. When Lady died at 27 I waited almost a year, then started looking for another mini. I am a big advocate for either adopting from a rescue or acquiring an animal that needs to rehomed. I'm no longer riding, I love having horses in my back yard, so for me, it was a no brainer to adopt. My horses, nor I know how to drive, do any tricks or anything special or spectacular. If I aspired to do any of these things, I may have looked a bit harder for someone looking to rehome their horse. As it is, I wanted to adopt animals that were, perhaps, not up to par in another's eyes. Neither one of my boys has what would even be called mediocre confirmation. Rocky is short and stout and has a Napoleon complex. Cooper, is too tall (38"), cow hocked (hocks are also low, I thought he might have DSLD when I got him (he does not). Neither one of my boys could win the best of anything, but they're the best horses in my back yard! I could have paid less for horses from a breeder than I did from the rescue where I "adopted" them. The rescue organization is an award winning "charity," but it has left me with a lot of regret. I don't think they actually are in the business to place horses in good homes, as much as they're in the business to size you up and see what they can get from you, etc. They haven't come to my farm even once to see if I am really taking good care of my boys. I wouldn't go to this specific Rescue again, but I wouldn't change getting a horse from somewhere that was trying to find an animal a good home, for the animals sake. Side Note: After reading everyone's adventures on this site, I now take walks with the boys and am trying new things to engage with them. Like I said, you won't see us in any show ring, but I love my boys and I love taking care of and playing with my little motley crew.

After sleepless nights, constant worries, shortened vacations, tons of vet visits and all the other crap I dealt with with Thunder, I am in no mood to “rescue” another horse any time soon. And bless those people who are willing to take on the possible heart ache and expense of such ponies, but I have way too many things I want to do at the moment. I prefer my minis to be registered and I will pay for a HEALTHY, well behaved horse any day of the week.

I don't have a mare...but, if I did I would be very unlikely to breed...just too much stress/worry 😄 (it's pretty unlikely I would have a horse of breeding quality anyway).
As for rescue...I consider a rescue taking on a horse that is in a life-threatening situation being severely neglected/abused. a life- threatening situation is probably going to be extremely expensive...and I can't guarantee that I would have the financial means to see that through....so I would be hesitant to take that on. An abused animal that just needed time wouldn't be a problem.
An animal that wasn't getting quite the care it needed, but nothing major I consider an upgrade...and I would definitely get a horse under those circumstances.
I got Prince from a rescue...and to be honest if I had known it was a rescue I probably wouldn't have even called.
I've known dog rescues....and.....well, you know...not good...and it seems like a lot of horse rescues are the same.
Luckily, Prince came from a rescuer that is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met, very knowledgeable ...and she is concerned about where her horses end up. She also said she would take him back if I could no longer keep him and asked me to stay in touch. I really lucked out there! 🥰
If I was seriously interested in showing I would go to a breeder, but, since I'm willing to go along with whatever my horse can do or likes to do...it doesn't really matter.
Yes...EVERY horse deserves a loving home 😊

Last edited:
I've rescued and I've bought. And I have volunteered at two rescues, one good and one not so much. The thing with many places that call themselves "rescues" is they are really nothing more than a money making endeavor for the people involved. Not all of them of course, but enough of them. I've seen "horse rescues" bring in a few sad looking horses, ask for monthly donations and "sponsors" of said horses, and the horses just stand there while the checks get cashed. Yes, horses were cared for but never adopted out so new ones could be brought in and to me that does not qualify a place as a true "rescue organization". On the flip side, I adopted a mare (who was a severe neglect case) from our local SPCA and they do a wonderful job of caring for and placing unwanted horses. If I had to do it again I'd buy. And yes, I'm a cynical old grump! ;)

Last edited:
I grew up in a horse family. I remember the birthing of foals. I remember the smell of the placenta and I haven't smelled one in 50 years. I remember how STRESSED my mother was, watching, waiting, sleeping in the barn. I remember the delight of a new foal and being allowed to handle them, as it was good for them and such fun for me!
That being said, I have followed the forums on here of horse owners watching for foals to be born. It is really stressful. I have a mare and I won't breed her, because if the foal had trouble, I wouldn't know what to do. I don't know how you all handle the stress. It must be all that horse therapy. :)
I paid good money for my mini's, but they might as well have been a rescue. They came with no instructions & no records. They were on my mom's "bucket list" so I bought them 6 months before she passed away and she could see them from her living room chair. Now I live in her home and watch them from my living room chair. I have become my mother, except for the knowledge. I should have listened to her more. This is Jack and Lollipop.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.MOV
    10 MB
I grew up in a horse family. I remember the birthing of foals. I remember the smell of the placenta and I haven't smelled one in 50 years. I remember how STRESSED my mother was, watching, waiting, sleeping in the barn. I remember the delight of a new foal and being allowed to handle them, as it was good for them and such fun for me!
That being said, I have followed the forums on here of horse owners watching for foals to be born. It is really stressful. I have a mare and I won't breed her, because if the foal had trouble, I wouldn't know what to do. I don't know how you all handle the stress. It must be all that horse therapy. :)
I paid good money for my mini's, but they might as well have been a rescue. They came with no instructions & no records. They were on my mom's "bucket list" so I bought them 6 months before she passed away and she could see them from her living room chair. Now I live in her home and watch them from my living room chair. I have become my mother, except for the knowledge. I should have listened to her more. This is Jack and Lollipop.
Jack and Lollipop are adorable! Which one is Lollipop and which one is Jack?

Well, said. Your horses look like a very active duo. They are so much fun to watch! I hope you are enjoying them as much as I'd imagine your mom did. I also wish that I retained all that was told to me about taking care of and managing horses, but alas my mind is like a sieve, everything put into it has all but drained out!!

Jack and Lollipop are adorable! Which one is Lollipop and which one is Jack?
I goofed up my reply, so I added photo of Lollipop taken just now. When they all get hungry, they stare in the window at me. I wave and blow kisses to them.

Attachments

• IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back