Rescue mare in foal ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teng

Reaction score
Meet Twix - a little mare I bought as a rescue (in my eyes anyway) !

she was very obese back in December when I bought her, her weight has come down over the months and then I saw this !!

I did have my suspicions but really hoped I was wrong - what do you all think ?

slabs teds 8th bday twix 014.jpg

twix's belly 003.jpg

She's darling. Her shape is suspicious, but to help decide, can you take pictures from down at her level? They all seem to look short and fat when you look down on them to take pictures.

It's Easter, so you might have to be a bit patient for answers, not everyone has no life, like me, so they are busy today.

She is the cutest mare. What a doll. Do you know her age? Sometimes the yearlings can have those giant pregnant like bellies and it's a matter of adjusting their diets. If you can stand her square and then get behind her and photograph her from behind that would help.

She looks very suspicious to me as well. If you have photos from when you first got her that might be helpful as well for comparison.

How tall is she first of all? Then, let's get a couple of new pictures. The first, standing behind her, squatting right down at her level, and looking forward toward her head. We're look to see is she is showing any lopsidedness, since most babies don't lay 50/50 equally poking out both sides. Then a full on side shot again squatting right down at her level.

She looks very small -- a teeny one. Perhaps someone could help you get the pictures, and when you get the side shot, have her head turned in a straight line with her body, so we can see her whole shape.

Welcome to our Nutty Nursery, and with these pictures, we should have something to start with. And as Brody said, if you have some beginning pictures from when you first got her, those would be good to see, also.

~~Diane

Twix is coming up 5 years, a friend bred her, circumstances changed and she had to sell her 2 years ago, she went to 'a petting farm' out 24/7 on lush pasture she was so overweight ........ on the weigh tape December 5th, she was 146kg, 2 weeks ago down to 115kg, her true weight (weigh machine) in February was 103kg.

She was so round and could just about walk.......... weight came off nicely and i could see definition !

Twix is about 28/29 inches.

It was seeing 'a bag' when she swished her tail the other night that started me thinking as i'd checked under there a while ago and i'm sure there was nothing !

I have no idea about the stallion, the 'Lady' i bought her from won't reply to messages or calls, i'm just so concerned about this little mare .............. in my opinion, she should never have been bred, which is why i bought her to prevent this happening !!

I've taken photo's - help they help !!!!!

Judy

twix belly ted beach 007.jpg

twix belly ted beach 009.jpg

She is very cute. Wish we had more people that were looking out for the minis. You did a great job with helping her out
default_smile.png

thankyou for your comment Ikblazin !

she really is a sweet mare - now - when I first brought her home she was really nasty, threatening to kick and bite.

I loaned her for a while years ago (to help wean one of my foals) she was so trusting then, so not sure what happened at the petting farm !

She looks a little lopsided to me, not sure if it's the way she's standing or not.

So she was bred 2 years ago? Do you know if she had a foal or not? If so was it successful? And she has been running with a stallion until you rescued her?

If she has been with a stallion, then I'm going with a yes on that she is pregnant. ? she is super cute!!

Forgot to say 'thank you' for all your replies so far and I did the nail test .................. FILLY !

SummerTime - I meant my friend 'bred her' as in my friends mare and stallion produced Twix - sorry for confusion !

Twix had been running with a stallion, for how long and when I don't know, all I was told when I bought her was ' the stallion went a long time ago' !

Oh!!! Ok ? hehe got it! Well I'm going to say yes to pregnant for 2 reasons...

1. She looks pregnant ?

2. She's been with a stallion for some time.....

Sounds like 2 good solid reasons to me ?

Looking at the picture of her from behind, she sure looks pregnant. What a cutie pie.

Lopsided...... yes. I'm going to say pregnant, too. And don't worry about her size for breeding. I've foaled out many a mare under 28-29 inches, and most popped out baby just fine on their own. But, with these teeny ones, it's extra important to be in attendance, because there isn't much room in there to move baby around if labor has progressed too far along and baby is 'jammed' up in the birth canal. The easiest is when you are there and can check before labor gets too far along, in case you have to find a hoof, or mover a muzzle,etc. Much easier before they are pushed up tight trying to get out.

Kudos on getting her weight to a more proper level:

visited my friend today to get back my foaling camera - good job her mares not due until June !

so will be set up tomorrow when the stable has been disinfected - have another mare in there at the moment - had'nt planned on having a foal this year, to say i'm angry with this 'Lady' is an understatement !

lots of bum/belly rubbing on her hay box the last few nights and has layed down in her stable which i've never seen her do before and her bag has'nt gone down much today, not that its that big at the moment, she is starting to elongate and has the 'jelly bum'.

Foal watch here i come
default_thumbup.gif

Sounds like some exciting/boring nights coming your way! Can't wait to see what she is hiding in that adorable baby belly.

i will be watching, looks like i'm going to be up tonight, she was very restless earlier, lots of biting at her belly.

as much as i did'nt want her to be in foal, i'll be doing everything i can for her Castle Rock
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back