Requied Mini training to visit homes, hositals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
What steps do you have to take to get your horse trained to visit homes, hospitals etc?

Where could you go (in Arizona) to get this training?

Where would you get insurance and what would they require?

Thanks in advance

We were certified through the Delta Society. You have to go through a class (just one day) of training and they will let you know what will be required for training with your horse. You need to find a director in your area. After going through the class you and your horse will be tested....they used things like wheel chairs, IV poles, drop stuff...etc Stuff you may encounter during visits. If you pass, you will become Delta Certified. You will have to be tested every 2 years to renew. They give up to 2 million, I think in insurance.

The same organization that certifies dogs does horses as well. Unfortunately I couldn't certify my boy since he's a stallion
default_sad.png
All animals must be neutered. Not sure about mares, I didn't look into them.

The same organization that certifies dogs does horses as well. Unfortunately I couldn't certify my boy since he's a stallion
default_sad.png
All animals must be neutered. Not sure about mares, I didn't look into them.
The Delta Society?? We had a stallion certified......... and a mare.... haha They cannot be in heat or pregnant while visiting though.

I have been wondering about this too. Obviously the evaluation would need to specialized to horses, their needs, and stressors. I am a certified therapeutic riding instructor and I am interested in having our mini certified so we can visit other public programs and events. Is there anyone on this forum who has certified minis??? Would love to know more.

I have been wondering about this too. Obviously the evaluation would need to specialized to horses, their needs, and stressors. I am a certified therapeutic riding instructor and I am interested in having our mini certified so we can visit other public programs and events. Is there anyone on this forum who has certified minis??? Would love to know more.
I could be wrong but I think Rachel (6stardanes) is certified through them since she does lots of school trips and other fun visits. You could ask her what is involved.

No, we don't use Delta. Saber was tested through Love On A Leash but after being with them over a year we found out their insurance doesn't cover horses so we purchase insurance privately and that way he's liability insured all the tim not just for official visits.

In case it hasn't already been suggested or considered, I would recommend some good liability insurance to cover yourself and not just what the facilities require. Maybe an umbrella policy For yourself would be a good idea. They're not very expensive a provide a lot of additional protection above and beyond what your other insurance may cover. Your property / casualty insurance agent can give you information and a quote... It's a risky situation and we probably all know that you sometimes don't have to be in the wrong to be successfully sued. All it takes is a little bad luck. That said, I'm sure you'll be making the days of many people when you do your visits and I hope you have a lot of fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back