Reoccurring colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillK

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 10 year old mini who has had many bouts of colic (I believe it’s a gas colic) since he was about 4yrs. We always get control of it by catching it early and giving him Banamine, soupy oily mash and a long walk. No hay for at least 48 hours and oily soupy mash 3-4 times a day. He gets over it and does fine for a few months, then, without any changes to his feed or activity, it happens agains. He is in a pasture with 3 other Minies who eat the same things and are fine. They are dewormed every 3-4 months and get a sand clear treatment every two months. They are also given a probiotic each day along with Omega Horseshine which adds some omega 3s to their diet and a touch of psyillium each day. We have done a 6week treatment of gastroguard, incase it was ulcers. He coliced again 3 months later. Should I try a Tums each day? It’s worrisome too because I’m afraid to leave town because I can’t figure out what’s the trigger? The vet has done a radiograph on his abdomen and didn't see anything unusual. Any suggestions?

Would you say that the period of time between the gastroguard treatment and his next bout of colic was longer than normal, or the same? It might be worth further examination for ulcers (i.e. scoping) - it could be a type that doesn't respond to that drug, or it could be something in the hindgut. Is his manure normal between colic bouts? Any excess water or anything? I think it's worth ruling out or in ulcers (both in the stomach and hindgut) and finding out what type they are so you can treat accordingly. If he's clean of ulcers then probably something dietary - an odd bale of hay here and there? Stones would show on a radiograph and the vet should be able to hear sand if there is a lot of it.

What type of hay do you feed? Is it always the same type? Be as specific as you can.
Do the colic flare-ups coincide with changes in hay bales or hay batches? Do they coincide with weather changes? Sometimes it's the inconsequential thing that sets them off.

I would try PREbiotic. It works differently than probiotic. I had a horse that weather change triggered his problem. I put him on prebiotic and had no more trouble. And I am a believer in aloe vera liquid and alfalfa. I top dressed the alfalfa of my present mare with the aloe vera and she cleared up. Alfalfa is very good for horses in small amounts. I think it is the calcium in it.
Do you do worming without a fecal count? That seems like excessive treatment to me.
It's such a worry when our horses have these episodes.

Oh boy I know this scene well. I had the same problem with my little gelding. It was a revolving cycle of colic treatment that included banamine.
After over 12k in vet bills and an exploratory surgery they decided it was right dorsal colitis brought on by too much banamine.
Scope won't detect it, but a competent ultrasound can.
My guy didn't have all the symptoms of RDC but once managed as if he did we haven't had any more colics for a year now. I really hope this isn't it. But if it is it can be managed.
I don't know to link my post but you may be able to find it on my profile.

Latest posts

Back