Removing Wall Paper Border

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
I saw the recent thread about removing wall paper glue. How do you remove the border? I tried spraying with vinegar & water, but it just dried??
default_wacko.png
Now my bathroom smells like vinegar!! Can anyone give me step by step directions or hints to removing this border? I want to paint my bathroom but there's an old border that needs to come down first.

Thanks in advance for the help!! I've never removed a border or wall paper so am totally clueless! Can I just paint over it? Guess that would leave a line though. Ugg!!!

all you have to do is a get a spray bottle and a putty knife thing. Soak it down good with water and it should peel right off. The putty knife is used for any little bits that may not come off the first time.

Try fabric softener...dilute it 4 to 1 and put it in a spray bottle. Worked great on wallpaper that had been on my walls for years. Sprayed it on and waited a few minutes, then it peeled right off. Smells better than vinegar too!!

Teresa

I just removed border in my living room but it pulled right off. I'm thinking about doing the laundry room but that is the sticky back kind so I'm assuming it will not come off so readily. I was going to see if I could find a wider border & just put it over the old one........... As for painting over wallpaper I just did that on the one papered wall in our bedroom. Can't really tell unless you get up real close to look. I hear fabric softener sprayed on the wall paper helps.

Spray down with white vinegar and it will come off really easy. Always works like a charm

Thank you for the suggestions!! I'll get some white vinegar and fabric softener and try those. I used cidar vinegar yesterday as that's what I had and had no luck with that. Do you then need to scrape it off or will it really peel off? After I sprayed with the vinegar/water yesterday, I couldn't stand the smell so washed everything down with hot soapy water. Still couldn't it to start peeling off.

I had to scrape a few stubborn spots, but not many. In fact, my 6 year old did the bottom parts of the walls, and thought it was great fun to peel the paper off the walls
default_yes.gif

Use a steamer... They have hand ones, the hot, wet steam takes wallpaper off...

Good Luck...

I second the fabric softener/water mix and the hand steamer. I use both and it works great!

We bought this spray on gel from Lowe's called ..DIFF ....and it works great and let it soak alittle and then it peels off. We were remodeling the old farmhouse here this past fall and there was layers of papers on many years old and it came off great with not much effort at all. Its a blueish colored gel, we bought it by the gallons and had two big areas to do with 10 foot ceilings. I am sure it would work well with borders also. We also used a foam brush to put it on also and that wasn't as hard to use as the pump sprayer since we had some much to do. The longer you leave it on the better it would work. It even took off the netting that was on the back of some of the really old wallpaper also without any trouble. We only have one more room to do yet but that will be this fall after show season, need a break from remodeling the whole house from the end of September until when we moved in December 1st everday after work and all weekend steady doing one room at a time. After we did the wall stripping we had used textured paint after primering the walls. Its a 1769 orginal chestnut log house, red metal roofing and the interior is plastered walls and I didn't want it to look "new", so we went the other way plus some walls in the kitchen are tongue and grooved walls from floor to ceiling and the interior doors to the various rooms are the same, they kinda look like barn doors with latches from the original house that are iron. It was tons of work and it took us from 1996 to 2007 to finish it up when we had the money , but well worth it and no morgage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just removed the wall paper and border from erica's room.. I took me 2 days to get the ribbons off her walls and ceiling. she tacked them to her wall paper, so you couldnt see any wall paper. I tried the fabic softner and water mix. It didnt work for me, but i think you have to run somthing over the wall paper first to make little holes in it.???????????????

I had a hand held steamer ( you can get at wal-mart) and it all came right off. In fact, the wall had two sets of wall paper on the wall. room looks great. fresh paint, new carpet............... Erica was as mad as a hornet. I told her what ever went back in the room, she better be ready to dust! all those ribbons and horse head throphy's
default_new_shocked.gif
I dont think they had been dusted in a year.

Good Luck, try a steamer. as you pull down, steam the peice.

Linda K

Thank you everyone!! Guess I will be tackling this stubborn border this weekend so we can start painting. After the painting is done, a new floor is going down in there. Should look really nice once it's all done!!!

Latest posts

Back