Remember the topic Is my mare overweight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone remember the topic is my mare over weight? http://minihorse.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...er+weight\?

well, do you think she still looks as fat? Do you think I should keep trying to get weight off her? Remember she is 18y.o., so i dont want to get her too skiny!

I think that she has lost a few pounds! What do you think?

DSC03588.jpg

DSC03587.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03603.jpg

-Gage-

[SIZE=14pt]I couldnt get the previous pictures to show but in my opinion for how tall this little mare is she is still a bit hefty.The reason I say this is because of the creases in her neck and the fat pad on her chest in front of her legs. She is not a large boned mare judging from her legs and this is alot of wt for her to carry.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT you do need to be EXTRA careful dieting an animal of this age... You are taking her down at just the right pace and I will say again, if she is not expected to run a race and she is not obese (Which she is not) why not just let her be herself???

I think she looks pretty good with a little extra padding! I like them to carry a tad bit of weight especially if they arent showing and plus you never know when they might get sick and go off feed. Some padding there to substain them until they go off feed.

I think she looks great for her age, Gage!
yes.gif
Like others have said, I would much rather see an aged mare a little overweight, than too thin.

I think that sometimes people get so used to seeing show horses that have been on special diets, worked & sweated forever to get them into "athelete" form....that they forget just what a pasture mini should look like. She looks fine Gage, I wouldn't worry too much.
wink.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I forgot that this is an elderly mare so I guess as long as she exercises some she is entitled to look matronly.... I sure do![/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks Everyone!!! I have done it slowley and I havent let her eat AS MUCH and i take her down to the Arena once a week (I am going to do that tonight!!) and let her run around and play!! I think she is trained for liberty cause she will run around for about 2 miniutes and then just COME RIGHT BACK to me and she wants to be catched!! I dont think i will EVER show Magic, if i do it would be just for fun and so she dosent feel left out if I show my colt!! But there is no way I will let her get totally down to like the show horses, I dont think we should take the stuff of that she cant get back so when she is older!! She is such a sweety and I think she has lost a few punds since winter!!

Look at this picture RIGHT here

DSC03119.jpg

Were getting there but I am not going to let her loose too many pounds!

Thanks EVERYONE!! you sure have helped me!

-Gage-

rabbitsfizz said:
BUT you do need to be EXTRA careful dieting an animal of this age...  You are taking her down at just the right pace and I will say again, if she is not expected to run a race and she is not obese (Which she is not) why not just let her be herself???
440990[/snapback]

My thoughts.

She's very cute by the way.
smile.gif

Gage,

I thought she looked in great shape a few weeks ago when I trimmed her feet for you!

She is adorable :)

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back