Remember the rescued puppies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
Ok, I took these guys right from mom, who hasn't let them suck for more than three seconds in the last two days that I have seen, and that was what the owner told me. They seem to be fine with hard dog food and several meals of watered down dog food per day. All except for one. After we got him home he seemed very shakey and really had a hard time walking, his front legs would give out. I thought it maybe was a spinal injury from the kids at the other place or even mine in the few minutes they were home. I bathed him, and put him in a clothes basket with a heating pad on low...he warmed up and dried off and seemed fine. I put him back outside with the others and he was ok, but wasn't playing and just layed around. He didn't eat when I fed the others and they cleaned up the food, so I brought him in to see if he would eat, he refused, but finally drank about 1/4 cup of milk. I decided since he is weak, that I would keep him in the house....never been away from mom remember, he has laid quietly in his "kennel" since I put him there. No wining, no wimpering. I do get up several times in the night with my chihuahua to let him out, so I will let pup out. Any ideas what this may be? Vet hasn't called me back yet, nor my mother who runs a great dog kennel. Is he just shocky?

Finally my mother called! I knew she would save me! She said it is unusual for large breed dogs to go shocky, but to scramble an egg and add karo syrup...so I did, only I had maple syrup...the little stinker scarfed it up and then I gave him a splash of milk to wash it down. We went outside and did our job and right back to bed. I can't keep any of these guys, but who ever gets this one, he has already had his start at house training!

Glad your mom came to the rescue. She suggested what I was going to say! Kayro syrup with his food. Very young pups often need a number of small meals a day to keep their natural sugar level up, and the kayro will help give them a boost if they get too low.

You are being a wonderful puppy mom -- taking these little guys in.

MA

Also, for anyone else reading this, there is something you can give to puppies when they are in stress, or to dogs recovering from surgery like Winston was, called Nutra-Cal that is this paste like stuff that is very high in calories and it also stimulates apetite. It really helped us with Winston when he wasn't having an appetite because of the fentynal patch. I bet the nutra-cal is a similar concept to the eggs and syrup but it can also be force fed with a syringe, which is what I had to do with Winston. You put it at the back of their tongue and it kind of disolves.

Jill said:
Also, for anyone else reading this, there is something you can give to puppies when they are in stress, or to dogs recovering from surgery like Winston was, called Nutra-Cal that is this paste like stuff that is very high in calories and it also stimulates apetite.  It really helped us with Winston when he wasn't having an appetite because of the fentynal patch.  I bet the nutra-cal is a similar concept to the eggs and syrup but it can also be force fed with a syringe, which is what I had to do with Winston.  You put it at the back of their tongue and it kind of disolves.
462828[/snapback]

nutra cal is one of the best things to keep on hand.....it can help cats dogs I even have used it on bunnies......it is straight calories and vitamins and packs a punch.........

Was wondering.....How IS that little pup doing now????

MA

Yes, thank you the nutrical is what my mom uses on her little dogs, but I don't keep it on hand and with these guys coming over the weekend, I didn't even get to buy anything for them until today.

The little guy affectionately named Albert by my children seems to be doing quite well. I fed him breakfast of eggs and syrup and then let him eat with the rest of them during the day and gave them all a supper of eggs and syrup to get the wormer down. He is playing and romping with the others, but would much rather lay at my feet. If I didn't already have three dogs he would be my pick of the litter. With all his hours in the house, no accidents at all. And no crying all night
smile.gif

I think he is feeling much better, but I wish I knew what was throwing him out of whack.

Jill said:
Also, for anyone else reading this, there is something you can give to puppies when they are in stress, or to dogs recovering from surgery like Winston was, called Nutra-Cal that is this paste like stuff that is very high in calories and it also stimulates apetite.  It really helped us with Winston when he wasn't having an appetite because of the fentynal patch.  I bet the nutra-cal is a similar concept to the eggs and syrup but it can also be force fed with a syringe, which is what I had to do with Winston.  You put it at the back of their tongue and it kind of disolves.
462828[/snapback]

We use a similar product, called Nutri-Drench, during calving. It can really help those little calves get going (every now and then we'll get calves that a similar to dummy foals).

Latest posts

Back