Remember that Old Stubben saddle

• Thread starter Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too

I took it to a saddler for a safety check and it's sound. He said it's in great condition for a, he suspects, 30+ year old saddle, although cosmetically it was kind of beat. Sooo, this afternoon I sat out on my front porch and refurbished it, fluffed the suede, polished the bright work and conditioned the leather. I think it turned out pretty good! Looking forward to going riding tonight.

saddleb4.jpg

saddleafter.jpg

I think it looks good!!!! A quality piece of tack like that is better, by a huge long shot, than what the same money would have bought you in a new saddle. I think you did good, both to buy it and how sharp you've got it looking now!

WOW!!!! Looks great!!! How did you get that nasty dark looking stain off the lighter knee roll? I think you got a really good deal on this purchase!
aktion033.gif

Wow! It takes me hours to get my English saddle to look half as good! I have a very old old stubben as well. What product did you use to get it looking that nice?

Thanks guys I love to do little restoration projects like this. I used Montana Pitch Blend leather products, waterproofs, conditions, and protects from mildew--and it smells good like pine. They are the best leather products I've ever used. http://www.montanapitchblend.com

It's going to need one or two more coats of the conditioner as the leather was pretty dry. It will help the color to become even more even as well as plumping up the leather fibers. I restored the suede with 100 grit sandpaper to fluff the flat spots up and remove the stains, then again over lightly to even the color.

Someone took pretty good care of before I got it and I think it'll easily last another 30 years with continued good care.

Last edited:
I think I already said you got a good deal; now you've done a great job of cleaning it up. Looks great!

BEAUTIFUL JOB! I think you could make good money in refurbishing saddles.

I like the saddle rack too. Did you make that?

WOW that looks great.
aktion033.gif

I have an old saddle and the products I have been using to soften up the leather have not done the job I was hoping for so I'm going to try these. Thanks for the link.

whitney said:
I like the saddle rack too. Did you make that?
462596[/snapback]

Thanks, I had some old plumbing parts left over from when we redid the bathroom so I glued them together to make a cleaning stand. Hubby was not impressed as he wanted to keep them "just in case." I promised to replace them should he ever need them--which I don't forsee happening in this lifetime.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back