Reintroducing papa to jenny and new filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive08

Reaction score
Hello mini donkey forum, our sweet jenny, Olive, had her foal on June 19th! (Foal is named Yvie, hopefully pics are attached of Yvie with Olive and Paco with one of his humans :) Today I'm looking for advice about reintroducing Paco to Olive and Yvie now that Yvie is 15 days old. Is it too soon? How to conduct the reintroduction? Paco was gelded less than a year ago at the age of 12. He's very good natured in general but is both a bit competitive with Olive for attention and also protective of her. He was separated from Olive 2 weeks before foaling. Yvie and Paco have calmly touched noses through the fence a number of times. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMAG4078.jpg
    IMAG4078.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG4050.jpg
    IMAG4050.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 6
Aww! No advice here as I have no experience. But dad is very handsome, and baby and mother look very sweet.
Have you tried taking him in with a halter? The mother might be the more aggressive.
Hope some chime in with suggestions. How do you pronounce the baby's name?

She's so sweet!!
I've never reintroduced a stud/exstud back in but am going to have to do it an a while. I'm thinking along the same lines as Marsha Cassada. Taking him back in on a long line then leaving it on him as a drag line for a day of two so I have a chance of getting hold of him if I see a problem starting. I don't know about donkeys but think it would be the same as horses, when there is a problem it seems to have to do with the foal being from a different stud, but it really depends on their temperament. Good luck, let us know how it goes 😊

Latest posts

Back