Regumate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed before, but at the time I didn't need the information. Now I do. :bgrin Could you please give me some information on this? I have a mare that my vet has checked out and we did a uterine culture on, everything is fine. She is a mare that has foundered and is back on track, her thyroid levels have evened out. He wants to put her on 3 1/2 cc's I think he said 5 days after the stallion has finished covering her. I did not get to talk to him but thru the receptionist out front, she said something about being very careful with it. I know some of you have used this, can you fill me in on this?

First of all it is a female hormone (pergesterone -sp?) in liquid form that is given orally. It can be quickly absorbed through your skin and affect your own system, so anyone who gives it should wear rubber gloves.

It is also something that should not be given lightly. Talk it over with your vet first. It is also only available through your vet.

MA

From experience I know it does not insure that you will get a live foal. We used it on a mare that aborted in her last trimesters but she still lost the foal even while on regumate. We sold her as a pet.

As has been mentioned, you do need to wear gloves when handling Regumate as it is absorbed directly through your skin should you get it on you.

Normally, when we have used it to help prevent abortion, it's been started after the mare is checked in foal on those that absorb/abort early on. The mares I've had that abort late term, I don't start them on it until later in their pregnancy.

I've had very good luck here using it or weekly progesterone shots to help a mare maintain her pregnancy.

Thank you, I am hoping she took the last time he covered her and since we have our thyroid now in line, maybe she will keep it? I think he thinks she is taking and for some reason not holding it very long. I have not seen her abort, so it would be an early absorption???? I know this mare has had foals in the past, I am just uncertain of her last foaling?

As said, be very careful.

I have used it for the first 90 days on one of my big mares to ensure that she maintained her pregnancy until the placent starts really kicking out hormones. We also used it in a study at CSU and gave it to stallions, it basically turned them into geldings, they had not interest in mares and also had very low sperm count. We had some stallions who were not part of the study start acting the same. come to find out that the buckets we fed the study stallions with were the same as those the other stallions where also fed with and the residual regumate left on the bucket was enough to cause some effects. so be careful when you give it to your mare that it doesn't come into contact with anything that you stallion or other mares will be eating out of or using (halters) since it is easy absorbed throught the skin. Also if you get it on you, wash you hands immediately it soap and water. it can cause women to menstrate really heavily and painfully (cramps)- I speak from experience. All that said, I still use it for one of my mares who likes to abort early.

Good luck,

Carrie J

We've had to use regu-mate on several mares over the years. One of my very best producers requires it to hold her pregnancies through the first five months, then we take her off and all is well. She was slipping her foals at around 45 days. Had a big horse that had to be put on it within 7 days of breeding or she would reabsorb the embryo within the first 21 days. I've always had a straw through the top of the regu-mate bottle that I can just stick a dosing syringe into and draw up the liquid, never touch the stuff that way and don't need gloves. Do be sure to wash your hands well should you get it on yourself. It will also help to regulate a mare that has very irregular heat cycles. After sixteen days on regu-mate take them off and you should get a nice normal cycle.

Had a big horse that had to be put on it within 7 days of breeding or she would reabsorb the embryo within the first 21 days.
That is what my vet thinks is happening, we didn't catch it on this last breeding, but if she comes back in I am to call him back.

The being very careful part worries me, I am forever spilling stuff and I turn into a dirtball very easy. :bgrin But thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back