Regumate question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
Regumate mares... a high risk mare..

at what day do you start backing down off the dosage?

And have you observed differences with a regumate mare foaling?

Thanks
default_smile.png

~Sandy

Sandy

I leave them on Regumate until they foal. Never noticed any differnces

Stac

at what day do you start backing down off the dosage?
You don't.

When we first had cause to put a mare on Regumate we were told by various vets that they had to be weaned off or they would not bag up, or they would have a prolonged gestation. Three times we followed this advice. By the time the dosage was reduced to quitting point the mare aborted suddenly. I got busy and talked with a number of larger farms who foal out many mares per year. All said they leave the mare on till they foal. In the years since I have had many mares foal on Regumate. All have bagged up normally, had normal milk production and all had a normal length gestation. Oh yes, and ALL had live, healthy foals.

That's my experience for what it's worth.

Good luck with your mare and new foal to be!

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
My vet had me wean her off a couple of weeks before she was due.... no difference with foaling.

There is no harm in leaving the mare on Regumate until she foals, so why risk taking her off it or reducing the dosage? Why fix what isn't broken? I agree with Charlotte and Stac. If I feel a mare needs Regumate, she stays on it until her foal is on the ground.

I agree with the others, we leave ours on Regumate until they foal as well. We have had no problems doing it that way.

Good luck,

Beth

Another vote here for leaving them on it until they foal. I would NOT take a mare off that was on it. I've foaled out several mares on Regumate and all bagged up and foaled live foals normally.

so glad to see this discussion

we have our first regumate mare due in May

and vet just told me it was best to leave her on it till she foals

just for safety sake.

So glad so many of you do the same makes me more comfortable

Regumate does not stop them from foaling. We keep them on until they are showing clear signs of foaling.

I have not seen any difference in the births with mares on Regumate, except that we have more live ones!

Gloves should be worn when you administer this drug.

I had a regumate baby last year from an experienced brood mare (her first time on regumate tho). The vet had me take her off the regumate 2 1/2 weeks before her due date. she foaled 4 days after discontinuing the regumate. she did not bag up until after the foal was born and did not have colostrum so baby had to go through transfusions twice. the filly is doing great now and was strong and healthy from the beginning but i now call her my "million dollar baby". LOL
default_saludando.gif
jennifer

We have a mare that bagged up and dripped milk last year at Day 285. A healthy filly was born on Day 300. This year we put her on Regumate at 7 months and Uniprim at Day 300. It's now Day 323 and we're doing fine. The vet has told us to stop the Regumate and Uniprim on Day 333 (7 days before the due date of 340 days). It won't hurt her if she foals while on the Regumate, but the vet feels once we hit Day 333 we might as well stop.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

The mare belongs to a friend of mine. I have passed on

this thread to her. I Hope this helps her!

~Sandy

I will add that the mare I had on it years ago just had a funky hormone imbalance that one year... never had to use it again. I successfully weaned her off the Regumate 2 weeks before she was due, and she still didnt foal until a week late, LOL She bagged up and everything was normal as far as the signs and foaling went. It was the only time I had a mare on Regumate and like I said, she hadnt needed it before and never did again.

Latest posts

Back