Registration Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
I would like to get Blondie registered (still haven't picked an name!!) She's eligible for AMHR and, I think WCMHR, but there's a little problem. I need to be a member to register her, I know that much. My question is, what do I need to prove that she belongs to me? I bought her from the breeder, whose farm she was living on. Her dam actually belongs to another woman, who lives in another state. The owner has been having some health problems, and has more or less comissioned the breeder to sell her horses for her. According to the breeder, the owner has been kept informed throughout the process, and approved the sale. I have a bill of sale from the breeder. She said the owner was going to send us a "transfer of ownership," so I could get the filly registered. It's been more than a month since the deal was struck, and we haven't heard from her yet (she may be in the hospital again, we don't know.) Can I get her registered just on my say-so? I have copies of both parents' registration and pedigrees.

You have to have a transfer of ownership form. I am not sure if a bill of sale will be enough. Also you got to make sure by the registry that their is a stallion report filled out too.

JMO I wouldn't bother with WCMHR. AMHR is very nice to work with and you can either email them (go look on the site) or phone them and they can tell you what you need. We had to do some extra work to get my filly registered because the last person that sold her mom didn't transfer the papers. But the office gave us a name and the woman worked with us. It's always worth a try as I said they are very helpful.

A phone call to AMHR will get you all the information you are asking for. Their number is 309-263-4044. I have called for information many times and they are always helpful.

You will need:

1. Application for registration made out in the name of the owner of the dam at the time the foal was born

2. Stallion service certificate signed by the owner of the stallion (and the owner of the stallion MUST have listed that mare on a Stallion Service Report filed with AMHR before Jan. 1)

3. Transfer form signed by the owner of the dam

Also need:

4. Application for membership

5. AMHR work order form

Also must become a member of AMHR in order to do any paperwork. All of the forms that you need can be found on the AMHR website at http://www.shetlandminiature.com - just go to the forms page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put the WCMHR papers on her.

It really bugs me when people say do not bother with it. If they do not like WCMHR thats thier issue.

If you do not have everything 100% in order(and it sounds like that could be an issue) AMHR WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU.

And in my case when the paperwork was all in order ( or so I was told by seller) sent in at frist it was fine and later they ?ed it. A unhappy seller, a lie, and I end up being hung.

A phone call to AMHR may get you some info, but they will not stand behind what they say on the phone. They say one thing and later say they did not say it. I would write or e-mail so you have proof of what they told you to do. So there are no misunderstanding. Becuase if you talk to the wrong person and are told the wrong thing and do it, they can always say they did not say that.

I hope you can get her AMHR papers bacause even with the problems I have had with them I do belive in the registry as a whole. But I also believein WCMHR they both have a place.

I think WCMHR will in time more and more used.

Just be careful with AMHR, because I did everything right and ended up being burned.

Thanks, all of you, for your responses. Hopefully the owner will come through with the transfer of ownership, and all will go smoothly. It's not a huge issue, it seems unlikely this girl will turn out to be halter material, nor (in my mind) breeding material, but we may want to do things like performance with her in the future.

I know that WCMHR isn't given much respect, it's like the Liberian flag of the miniature horse world. However, I'm told that there are several WCMHR shows held fairly near here, including their nationals. If we are just showing for the fun of it, WCMHR sounds like a good place to start!

Ok just be careful with WCMHR. I have been waiting for years on 2 of my registraton papers, I still don't have them. Yeah I called, they kept saying they would send them out right away, nope. I also did their show point program. I thought we got something when we won, nope. Also I think their has been some recent discussion where they couldn't get ahold of anybody over there and only one person is running the whole operation. So just be careful.

No problems with AMHR over here. I had a problem once, they helped me, got the problem fixed.

If you have access to the dams registration number, and the stallions registration number, you can call the AMHR office and tell them there is a filly you are looking into and you want to make sure the proper paperwork is on file. ask"can you please check that this mare has been listed on the stallions breeding certificate for such and such a breeding season?" If you have thier registration numbers, they will be happy to tell you if the mare is listed. If the mare has never been listed on the report or no report had been filed for that breeding season for that stallion, then you need to ask the owner of the stallion to send in a late report, there is a penalty fee for this. If this happens, your best bet is to offer to pay those fees. After that is taken care of, you will need the signed paperwork(application for registration and application for transfer) from the owner/breeder of the filly.

Anytime there is a foal being sold on application, you can call either the AMHR or the AMHA and ask them to make certain that the dam of the foal in question had been listed on the stallions report for the prior year. As long as you have specific names and or registration numbers, they will be happy to tell you yes or no.

This info may all be "after the fact" since you already have her, but it will let you know what information you may need to approach the previous owner/breeder with.

good luck,

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I know this isn't totally related but I haven't gotten my registration papers from WCMHR that I paid for three years ago. Kept checking on the progress and they said "oh yeah, it's being processed" but after a year of calling and e-mailing I gave up. They took my money and I didn't have anything to show for it. That is NOT a way to promote your business!!!
default_no.gif

Therefore I also can NOT recommend giving any money to WCMHR!

Andrea

Back