Registration Numbers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyMinisFarm

Reaction score
Can a horse get an AMHA Registered Number without being DNA tested? And if a horse has its registration number (AMHA) has it already been DNA Tested?

One of my horses is AMHA. And both his sire and dam are AMHA. But before I could get his papers sent in his mare passed from a foaling problem. And I cant get a DNA test from the mare. She was already registered with AMHA and had her registration number.Does that mean she has already been DNA tested? Should it be in her files. AMHA is saying that I need a DNA test from her and my horse to get his AMHA Registration Number. And if his mare got her registration number without being DNA tested can I not do the same for my boy.

A foal can be registered without having DNA done. BUT--the sire and dam must have DNA on file before that foal can be registered. Sounds like your mare was registered but did not yet have DNA done. Because her DNA is not on file--her foals cannot get AMHA papers.

I have long maintained that foals should have to have DNA done at time of registration. That would prevent situations such as yours. Mind you--I do think it wise to have breeding stock DNA'D prior to birth of the first offspring--that also ensures that foals can be registered even after something happens to a parent.

If your boy had papers then why can you not get them now? Who are you trying to register?

If I understand it correctly, a horse can be registered AMHA as long as the parents have papers and DNA on file. I believe that until the parent is DNA tested, their foals cannot be registered. I deal more with the AMHR but I have a few A horses and when registering the colt last year, they told me that I had to DNA my stallion so his colt could be papered. If you call the office they will answer your questions. Their website is very informative too.

His paper are filed out and everything, I just can't get his Dam DNA tested because she passed away. My horses sire was DNA tested and so was my boy. His dam was not, she has papers and a registration number with AMHA just no DNA testing. Can I still get my boy registered?

With AMHA - If your foal's dam was born after 1996, she must have DNA on file before you can register the foals. Yes, she could have been issued registration papers without having been DNA'd (the dead mare's sire and dam could have had DNA on file or perhaps were born before 1996).....but without that DNA, none of her foals can be registered. BUT.....check with the AMHA office because there MIGHT be a provision that allows for a foal to be registered if the parent dies before pulling DNA....and I want to emphasize MIGHT be such a provision. If there is no such provision, sounds like you are out of luck...but call the office to check for sure. What is the AMHA registered name of the dead mare? I could check on the studbook to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your boy is 3 or older he has to be parentage qualified before he can be registered, which would be why dna would be required. Also both mare and stallion must be dna'd in order for any foals to be registered if they were born after 1996. I had a similar problem, had a mare that was A eligible but the breeders didnt do AMHA paperwork, dam passed away without being dna'd so my mare had to be hardshipped due to the lack of dna since she was older than 3yrs. This is why I wish that all breeders would keep all eligible paperwork up to date even if they dont care about one or the other, helps future owners!

This is interesting. Any reason WHY you have to have the DNA? If the parents are all AMHA reg surely foal is eligabe?
To prove that the horse is the resulting foal of the two parents. It keeps people from sneaking in a substitute horse that they want registered. I actually love that dna is required, I greatly value parentage qualification when looking to purchase horses so that if I am wanting a particular bloodline, I know that it is in fact from that horse.

It is just unfortunate that DNA isn't required at time of foal registration. As it is, if someone buys a foal, by the time they DNA it when they want to breed it... if the horse doesn't match up to it's parents it is kind of late to find that out.

At this point in time AMHA does not allow hardshipping.

To hardship into AMHR you need AMHA papers. (Unless sire and dam have AMHR registration?)

I looked the mare up on the AMHA studbook....she was NOT DNA tested. Her sire and dam were. Unless they have a provision for registering if a deceased parent is the result of 2 dna tested horses, I do not believe you will be able to register your colt. And if not, you will not be able to hardship into AMHR either as the mare was not registered with AMHR either. In that case, you have a colt that will be a nice 4-H project for some kids, or a CDE prospect, etc, where registration is not required.

Latest posts

Back