Registration look-up and Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
We leased a blue roan stallion last summer, and bred him to 3 outside mares. One of them foaled a couple days ago. The dam is a red roan and the filly is a PINTO! Can 2 roans produce a pinto? If there is pinto a ways back in the pedigree, can it express itself at a later date? We have a pinto stallion, but he was't here most of the time the mare was (like when she was being bred...) and I doubt if the blue roan stallion would have welcomed him into his mare band and shared, had he been here at the right time....

Sooo, could someone please lookup and post a pedigree for me. A number is A135431 and R es 235929A Boones Buckeroo Fancy Pants? I would so greatly appreciate it!!!! This is quite a mystery!

Thank you, Wendy

I think it would make more sense to test the sire and dam (the "roans") for pinto patterns rather than trusting the color in the pedigrees. Because for sure a "solid" or non-pinto can produce pintos - just think of Rowdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sire has socks, so maybe he is a minimal pinto. Just want to see if his dam or other relations are pintos...
default_smile.png

Just for information sake...Totally solid horses with brown eyes have been tested and found to be carriers of different pinto genes. I too would NOT trust the AMHA or AMHR for proof of color. They can give clues, but they are often wrong. The people that assign the colors are not experts in genetics or colors of horses. I have a mare that was sired by a bay pinto and her dam was chestnut. The resulting filly was originally registered as a palomino pinto. Not genetically possible! She is actually a black silver pinto (silver dapple). It is just a personal example of how they can be misleading. Just sayin
default_whistling.gif

In the AMHA studbook, Fancy Pants has only one pinto in his entire pedigree and that is his great-great grandsire Double O Seven And A Half Moto.

I agree with Diane. We see it all the time in Gypsy Horses. Testing is the only true way to tell, just what colour our horses really are - and it's often quite different, from how they are expressed.

Lizzie

Ditto with Castle Rock and Lizzie....

The socks is an indication of a minimal pinto, but the best way to tell is by testing.

In the AMHA studbook, Fancy Pants has only one pinto in his entire pedigree and that is his great-great grandsire Double O Seven And A Half Moto.
Thanks, Tiff. Could you post his pedigree please or email it to me. I really appreciate it. It sounds like it's ok and he's da daddy! Wendy

Thank you so much everyone for reassuring me. The stallion has been sold now and I don't think I will be able to have him color tested, but I feel much better!

Wendy

Socks are definitely a pinto pattern. I have a 2 week old foal whos' sire is a bay tobiano pinto and dam is solid black, although the dam has some faint 'roan' socks in front. The filly is bay with hind stockings and front socks. She is tobiano even though she has no white on the rest of her body. I plan to register her as pinto as that is what she is and I'm hoping the registries see it that way as well.

I had a filly with 4 socks and a star and had her tested for tobiano and she was pos. I put pinto on her AMHR application and also sent in the DNA results but they wouldn't put pinto on her papers because she had no body white! So her papers don't show correct because they wouln't put the correct info. on them. grrrr

Sheri Hill

Socks are definitely a pinto pattern. I have a 2 week old foal whos' sire is a bay tobiano pinto and dam is solid black, although the dam has some faint 'roan' socks in front. The filly is bay with hind stockings and front socks. She is tobiano even though she has no white on the rest of her body. I plan to register her as pinto as that is what she is and I'm hoping the registries see it that way as well.

Latest posts

Back