registering question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Ok, sold my b/w colt to a lovely family, actually Ginny did the selling
wub.gif
anyways, great family and they have asked that I register him in their name. Not a problem as I did offer. Do they need to be a member of the A & R for me to do this? Do I fill in the registration and THEN a transfer?
wacko.gif
Little help please? Never done this before, always just sold horse, here's the papers and a transfer form. Thanks.

AMHA doesn't require membership, but the fees are less if you are. AMHR does require membership.

It would also be wise to check with the registries regarding the farm name they are using, incase it's been taken.

Several times we have let the buyer choose a weanling's name, however, we still require that our farm prefix be used.

MA

The name is not an issue. They are happy with his name I just figured I'd do it all in one fell swoop if possible. THAT is my question. If I am noted as the "breeder" and they are noted as the "Owner"? Thanks.

They do not have to be a member of AMHR, as long as you are. Only the buyer or the seller needs to be a member. I learned that on here awhile back, and called AMHR to confirm it. I have done several tranfers that way.

For AMHR, either party can be a member--the person whose name appears on the work order must be the member, but the other party can be the one to write the check.

For AMHA, the person who sends in/pays for the paperwork must be the member.

When I bought my first Minis, it was late in the fall. I wasn't going to buy my membership until the new year. So, the seller gave me a completed work order (with her name & membership number) along with the completed transfers & the papers, & I wrote out the check & sent it all in. No problem.

We did the same thing for AMHA, but it was no dice with them. Even though seller (who was a member) sent in the paper work, because it was my check & I wasn't a member, I had to either pay the non member fee or buy a membership.

So, if you're a member of both registries & you send in the paperwork & payment, your buyer doesn't need to be a member.

Just to clarify though--you will need to send in the registration applications as well as transfers. I'm not entirely sure if that's how you're meaning to do it? You cannot just show you as the breeder and the buyer as original owner, because the foal must first be registered in the name of the person who owned the dam at time of foaling. From your posts I'm not just sure what you were thinking on this.

Dimimore said:
The name is not an issue.  They are happy with his name I just figured I'd do it all in one fell swoop if possible.  THAT is my question.  If I am noted as the "breeder" and they are noted as the "Owner"?  Thanks.
468080[/snapback]

If they did not own the mare at the time the foal was born -- YOU would have to be the original owner (your financial responsibility) and then complete a transfer (financial responsibility can be negotiated). They do NOT have to be a member of AMHR in order to put the horse in their name, if you are the one to submit the registration and transfer. I've done this. I submitted the paperwork to have the transfer put in a non-member's name. The registration paper came back to me and then I gave them the papers.

Working out who pays for the transfer is between you and the buyer. In my case, I paid for the transfer (just built it into the purchase price).

Thank you SO much. I have no problem paying for the registration and they have no problem paying for the transfer. Thank you again very much.

All original registration paperwork and DNA/PQ testing I feel is the sellers responsiblity. I do offer to send in the transfer for the buyer, if they are not members, but they pay for the actual transfer. Some will do this some won't. I do tend to find the ones that don't have me transfer if they're new, often never do - so you will end up with RV status on your minis later and in your name if they don't follow up with paperwork - haven't figure out how to avoid that yet!

The ones that want to do it themselves, I give the transfer, registration, a copy of the reg papers for their file, and the work order from the registries - all highlighted as to what they pay and which line to fill out.

Latest posts

Back