Registering obvious dwarfs???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
So.... I have been recently enamored with the horsestudbook.com site because I just love to see all the pedigrees and see the pictures that are going on the registration papers of new horses. You can see all sorts of fun stuff, which I had never purchased the Stud Book access but now sort of wished I had.

Anyway, now that ASPC/AMHR requires pictures you can SEE the horses and what color they actually are and what they look like.

However, I have been a bit concerned because OBVIOUS dwarfs are being registered. Is this really an issue that should be debated seriously with the Registry?

I kind of find it odd that people would register their dwarfs because you are putting your farm's reputation on the line. There is a recently registered STALLION from a Big Farm... I am wondering why the farm would advertise they throw dwarfs out of their top stallion. Just seems somewhat odd to me.

On one hand, it is good to see what lines are throwing the dwarfs so that some people can avoid breeding to those lines or avoid horses out of those stallions/mares.

On the other hand, we are perpetuating the genetics to future generations.

I wish the Registry could register them and deny breeding rights to these horses. It's odd though that someone would spend the money to register them in the first place.

I don't want to post pictures of these dwarfs online here on this Forum, but they are pretty darn obvious to anyone.

Andrea

I also don't think dwarfs should be able to be registered.

Sometimes, I know the breeders just don't know enough to realize they have a dwarf... as to the big name farm, from a business standpoint, I have NO idea what they are thinking.

When you look at Horsestudbook.com, is there a way to sort so you see the newly registered horses, or is it hit and miss and you come across newly registered ones?

Edit: Okay, I see now how to do it, and I see the colt you may be referring to
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Jill there is a colt but there is also a stallion registered within the past day or two.

Both are black and whites.

Andrea

Okay, you've lost me. Where do you look to find the most recently registered horses??? I've found the horses, which are in no particular order than I can see, and I've found the photos, which of course have the newest photos first, but those aren't taken off registration photos, they are just photos the owners have loaded. On my horses they haven't used the photos off the registration photos, the photos are those that I've put up myself.

I see they still haven't made the correction to my '07 colt--his papers have been fixed but horsestudbook.com still shows the wrong mare as his dam. It's been 9 months since I fixed that with AMHR

When you first log on, if you select "Horses" (not your horses) it will show them in order the Registry is registering them. The pictures are NOT owner-uploaded.

I know this because my filly was registered and her picture and pedigree came up as soon as the office registered her. I got the papers back a week and a half later. I have never uploaded any photos to that site.

The horses appear random, but are in order that they are registered or transferred from the office.

Andrea

NO they shouldnt but who is going to decide what makes a dwarf?

Also, I havent been there to see pics. But I know some of the pics on my papers really make the horse look questionable just by the way they streched and smashed it.

But I know some of the pics on my papers really make the horse look questionable just by the way they streched and smashed it.
I've had the same problems with picture on the papers, I have one view of my mare that is stretched so she looks bad in the picture.

None of the pictures are smashed looking on the website. And the office gets the original photos, it would be someone looking at actual pictures anyway.

I have heard that AMHA does not register obvious dwarfs but I never have been "involved" with AMHA to know. Does anyone know, and know what the criteria is?

Andrea

I know several horses I transferred into my name w/ AMHR LONG ago are still not showing in my name...

I have seen a few questionable minis. One thing I have also noticed is a few too thin minis with too long hooves. :DOH!

THey must have starting putting the photos up very recently then?? I say this because a gelding that I sent in his photos & gelding certificate on in.....April?...is showing up as a gelding, but still has no photo, though of course photos were sent in at the time.

In any case, I personally wouldn't put a lot of stock in the photos that are on the papers. Two that I sent in last fall--one new registration of a weanling and one permanent application--were sent in with absolutely hideous photos. Not saying either of them looked like a dwarf,--and they aren't dwarves!-- but if you saw those photos you'd wonder why anyone would raise horses that look like that! It was October, they were hairy, the 3 year old was kind of fat and potty looking, the weanling was growthy and gawky, and to top it off it was a cold day and my mom & I got into a fight while we were out there trying to get these stupid photos at the last minute before winter set in...so photos were photos and I just sent them in anyway. The colt can get new photos when he is made permanent; the mare I might pay to change her photos later when I get some summer time, shed out & sleek ones, and then again I might just not bother and keep my $20.

Considering how I've heard some people on here say that AMHR stretched or compressed their photos, and considering what just plain bad photos some people take no matter what the horse really looks like, I am not a fan of registry photos!

So, while I don't believe that actual dwarves should be registered, I don't know as I think anyone should be making the dwarf decision based on what may or may not be accurate photos.

Some of the horses I have aren't updated in that stud book, but I have noticed they are ON TOP of all the NEW recent registered/transferred animals. I guess they figure they might as well start somewhere. I don't know how/when they will catch up, but I imagine that is QUITE the task.

Andrea

I have seen a few questionable minis. One thing I have also noticed is a few too thin minis with too long hooves. :DOH!
No one likes to see neglected horses, but too long hooves or too thin is not genetic the way dwarfism is...

No one likes to see neglected horses, but too long hooves or too thin is not genetic the way dwarfism is...
Oh I know. I was just commenting that there are horses up there that have neglected hooves an are too thin as well.

OK, I will admit I haven't used the AMHR Studbook at all, but when we first had a chance to try out the (I think) same software for AMHA I did try it out. I uploaded some photos of our horses and then tried to upload a different one for one of the horses, and couldn't figure out how to CHANGE a photo. It also looked to me like you could (at that time anyway) load a photo for ANYONE'S horse, not just your own, as long as there wasn't already one loaded. So I wondered about someone putting up a photo of a dwarf (for example) for someone else's horse without the owner's knowledge. Does anyone know if that is possible with the AMHR Studbook as it works now?? I would hate to think so, but you never know...

I believe dwarfs should be registered, but without breeding rights. If "who" decides "what" is a dwarf is a problem, perhaps the registries should start mandatory evaluations by a panel of qualified judges to determine breeding quality. How many approved, dwarf Freisians have you seen?

dwarf.jpg

The photo they put on my colt's papers make him look just like a dwarf, and he is 32" tall! He's very proportioned, and pretty, and the only thing that looks like him on the papers is the color.

AMHR stretched and shrunk my photo to fit on the papers, and he looks like a doorfus dwarf. My colt is the grullo colored one in my avatar.

So let's not start bashing horses (or their parents) because of a bad photo
default_wacko.png

No one is bashing, really. Dwarfism is known to be a very real problem in Miniatures and as such is an important topic to discuss. Dwarfism also exists in Friesians. I'll bet whoever owns the Friesian above isn't arguing that it's "just a bad angle" (which it is) or "the wrong lighting" (which is true), or even that "the picture was messed up in processing" (which may have been) that is making their horse look dwarfy. Fact of the matter is, even the best photo couldn't make that horse look like this approved stallion:

bouwe3_231x207.jpg

I think they should be registered.. with Dwarf ... Non Breeding written in bold print across the face of the registration paper.

If they are registered then when we check the stud books we can at least see the pedigree behind the dwarf

and know what to avoid or at least be very careful with..

Latest posts

Back