Register my 2012 foal color question Sorrel or Chestnut Pinto?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorrel or chestnut pinto

• sorrel pinto

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • chestnut pinto

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

MBhorses

Reaction score
I am trying to register my 2012 foal. I want to know if I use register her sorrel or chestnut pinto? I want her AMHA and AMHR papers to said the same thing
default_smile.png

Paint By Numbers Duffys Temperance (Temperance)

Thanks Melissa

Temperanceduffy41512 015.JPG

Temperanceduffy41512 026.JPG

sire palomino

dam black pinto (or smokey black not tested)

grandsire buckskin on sire side

Last edited by a moderator:
They are exactly the same thing and it's confusing because it's based on shade of red so it's just individual opinion. Either way would be fine because genetically they are no different. I use chestnut for all "reds" to limit confusion.

There are a few breeds that do, Diane. I guess I don't agree with having the two of them. They really are the exact same thing and just create confusion. You can breed 2 sorrels and get a chestnut, 2 chestnuts and get a sorrel-genetically one and the same. There are a few different shades of bay, buckskin, black, etc, but they are all registered universally as bay, buckskin, black, etc. For some reason the different shades of "red" need to have different names though. Sometimes I can't even tell blue from purple, so i'll stick with chestnut for everyone to help myself
default_smile.png

Ugh, they actually put that "chocolate" is chestnut? Every "chocolate" or "liver chestnut" i've seen (except for a very select few) have been silver bay, smokey silver black, or smokey black.

I agree with OHMT, listing two options for a horse that is genetically the same, is just confusing. I register all my "red" horses as chestnut but with two options on the registration papers, looks like it just comes down to personal preferance
default_yes.gif

Thanks you all maybe it should be sorrel/chestnut like it is on animal genetics LOL
default_smile.png

Example AMHA and AMHR have cremello only as a choice when a horse can be cremello perlino or smokey cream go figure LOL

Agreed. I come from an English riding background and "red" horses are referred to as chestnut. In the Western world they are referred to as sorrel. Two words describing the exact same thing
default_smile.png

I was going to let AMHA and AMHR choose but I was afraid they would pick different ones LOL.

Be my luck one would pick sorrel and one would pick chestnut.I want the papers to said the same thing.

When I was in 4H (oh, about 100 years ago) I was told a red horse with the same color mane and tail was Chestnut and if the mane and tail were flaxen it was Sorrel. IDK...

When I was in 4H (oh, about 100 years ago) I was told a red horse with the same color mane and tail was Chestnut and if the mane and tail were flaxen it was Sorrel. IDK...
I feel the same as you if one is a lighter red with a flaxen mane and tail with no question sorrel. If she were mine I would just put down chestnut pinto. Like others have said tho basically the colors are the same.

Ugh, they actually put that "chocolate" is chestnut? Every "chocolate" or "liver chestnut" i've seen (except for a very select few) have been silver bay, smokey silver black, or smokey black.
There was a post a while back asking for pics of liver chestnuts and silver bays and there were a few true liver chestnuts that were posted. I even own one.

Pretty sure I started that thread JMS
default_smile.png
The only true "liver chestnut" on the thread IMO was Maple Hollows mare, Mars Rosebud, and her skewed color is most likely due to sabino and/or appy. Again, it's all relative. 9 times out of 10 when I see a horse listed as "liver chestnut" , it's usually black based with silver and/or cream dilution. Almost every "chocolate" or "chocolate palomino" has been either a smokey silver black, smokey black, or a sun faded silver black.

I would register her as chestnut pinto...all my "red" horses are registered as chestnut. I had AMHR put one as sorrel one time & I sent the papers back and requested that they be fixed to show chestnut. I don't do "sorrel"

Someone at the AMHA seriously needs to go on a "Colour 101" course and get the mess sorted out. It is down right ridiculous, in this day and age, to have different categories for shades of a base colour. What next "Rose" Grey????

No, don't tell me, I do not want to know!

*CHESTNUT - the body color is dark red or reddish brown.

BLACK CHESTNUT - a very dark chestnut, with lots of black hair, but keeps the red color, darker than liver chestnut.

GOLDEN CHESTNUT - a chestnut with a rich, gold coat.

LIVER CHESTNUT - a dark chestnut, often with black hairs mixed in.

*SORREL - the body is a clear reddish or copper-red color. The mane and tail are usually the same color as the body and may be flaxen.

definitions of color when googled

I chose sorrel pinto as that's what I put on the registration of one of my horses (AMHR):

IMG_18714x6-2.jpg

Conversely, my oldest mare (AMHA) came to me with chestnut pinto on her registration:

100_0381-1.jpg

Clean, side-by-side, they're the same color.

Both chestnut and sorrel are the same thing, a red horse.

I was raised English, where all red horses are chestnut.

Not until I got around Western riding, did I hear sorrel.

All Belgian draft horses are called sorrel or blonde, never chestnut!

So, it's just a matter of semantics!

Andrea

Latest posts

Back