Red Cell

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok so I remember discussing the use of Red Cell on this forum last fall or summer. That it is used as a bit of "pep juice" for active horses/show horses. I seem to remember a few people saying 1 ounce per day for their show horses... Is that correct? I've been doing 1 ounce per day for mine for a couple weeks now.. it certainly has the "pep" effect and is essentially kind of "jet juice" LOL but i wanted to make sure that i'm not ODing the little dudes on it or not giving them enough as i've heard it can have negative effects on some horses (big and small).

I hate to admit this, but I don't know how much we've given our horses Red Cell. When we've given it, we've poured a cap full on their grain and it was when they were acting "punky".... and the vet suggested it. I'm afraid that isn't a very exact dosage.
default_wacko.png

LOl well i completely understand that..it's not like it comes with a little measure thingy on it. I happend to have a jug from a different supplement that you tilt it and it will fill up a measure compartment. I had cleaned out and reused for the Red cell..that's the only reason i know exactly what i'm giving them. I think all these supplements should come with some sort of measurer especially things that can OD horses..LOL I'm guessing your cap full is nowhere near an ounce (i'll have to check and see)..and ounce seems like quite a bit once you've measured it out.

I have had friends use it for performance horses at long shows but be careful. one time they gave the lil guy too much and he was bouncing off walls in the ring. I wouldnt want him to revved up and if it was me i would go to 1/2 oz and see what that does.

Not too scientific here either LOL. I used to use the big bottle with a pump on it, and gave a quick pump. I have a small bottle now, only using it on two horses, and the yearling gets a small "dollop"
default_smile.png
probably equivalent to a capful. I also have a mare - his dam - who was diagnosed somewhat anemic so she's been getting a slightly bigger dollup.

Jan

well so far they aren't off the wall with the 1 ounce per day but they have a lot of "go" which is exactly what i was looking for. They can trot 3 miles now at a strong trot and still have a lot of pep left to keep going!

Saber's dose is 2 tsp or 10mL.

We use to syringe it up to measure the doseage but recently got the pump attachment and have it marked about at the 1/3rd section of the tube with a marker and pump to that which equals the amount above.

I don't think it peps him as we use it almost daily with his morning oats.

Dose for big horse is 2 ounces daily I have the pump that dispenses 1 ounce so my biggies get one am and pm. The minis get a 1/4 of an ounce twice a day.

One bad effect of too much RED Cell- They will sluff off their hooves. Be very careful. My vet said my horses were very healthy and do not need it for anything, not even for show purposes.

I would never use that stuff unless it was very needed around here.

It is a very good product to use espeically if you have an anemic horse. However, to use it just to pep up a horse, personally I wouldn't go there.

I dont use it for that either Marty. I only use it on horses that are run down or sick. But I do know its pretty popular with people who show performance horses

I used it on all the horses during the "gut bug" but have switched now to just Purina 12/12. Never really saw an increase in energy when I used it.

Ours must be as pumped us they will get then, because we used for awhile and never saw any changes, and they got more than a cap full once a day. I think it works to the extent you can see a change when the horse needed it to begin with, ours just didn't need it.

Latest posts

Back