Red Cell...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine, and he says he give all of his show horses Red Cell. I'm not to sure about it so I thought I'd ask you guys. Does anybody here use it? If you do what are your opions on it? Also how much do you give your horses? Thanks!

I know a lot of people use it, but we gave it to a quarter horse mare of ours for awhile. It turned her into a mean, hateful, hyper western pleasure horse that we did not like! Took her off of it and she went back to her old sweet, laid back self. Have never used it on a mini. Just my experience with it.

I've heard of people giving it to horses that are just coming out of being sick. I've used it before regularaly on a gelding i had a while back and yes, it does give them a kick. I dont use it because my horses do not need it really.

My horses dont need it, they are already hot enough
default_wink.png
. I've never heard of people giving it to their horses to add some 'go' to them, thats new to me.

Hi,

I give it to mine (a tiny bit) especially during show season and in weather like this I like to give a little tiny squirt in thier feed once a day. I've not noticed it ever making mine worse (hot).

Thanks for responding everybody! My gelding is so laid back in the ring he deffently needs a kick! I think I will start using it. How much do you exaclty feed?

My vet had me giving my colt 1/4 ounce a day total. He was low on selenium, among other things, which was why she recommended it.

We get Red Cell in a big jug and when we've used it, have just given a capful over their grain.......sorry that isn't very precise.

MA

We use it for our performance horses, one ounce a day, the whole show season, it sure makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Cell like anything else has it's proper place if it is needed and properly administered.

Interesting
default_biggrin.png

This product, were can we find it?

Is there a producer of this? just to find out what it is here in Europe, I think it will have a different name over here...
default_biggrin.png

I have used it to help my colt last year - he needed a boost after a nasty bout of respitory infection, and just wasn't bouncing back to health that well- you do need to becareful on the dosage.

Red Cell like anything else has it's proper place if it is needed and properly administered.
Marty, I'm not trying to be a smartie, I'm actually this dumb ...lol. But when is it needed and how do you administer it? Sounds like something I might like to try on my geldings. They are WAY laid back .. lol.

Just be careful you don't get too much Red Cell or combine it with other supplements that also have iron. Too much iron can be very harmful. My colt, Rhett, is on Red Cell. He was very lethargic and not doing the things a colt normally does. My vet did a blood count on him and he was mildly anemic so she suggested I try Red Cell and then check his blood count in the spring. He weighs approximately 100 lbs. I was told to give him 4 ml every morning. I measure it with a syringe and squirt it on his feed. He doesn't mind the taste at all.

The amount they suggest on the bottle of Red Cell is for a large horse. I suggest you call Farnam directly (1-800-234-2269). They will let you know how much you should give a horse your size. Rhett has been on Red Cell for about 2 months now. I see a big difference. He now runs and bucks and plays with the other horses. He just seems so much happier. It did not make him nasty at all. He is still very loving, affectionate and level headed.

Red Cell is a great supplement, used when needed and in moderation; of course.

Especially considering the dosage is for full size horses..

The Miniatures Horses receive approximately 4-8 cc's (daily) - depending upon their weight and needs.

I've used it for nursing mares and young ones and I love it in the winter when the grass quality is poor or doesn't exist and they resort to wood-chewing.. and seem to be missing something..

I had a mare get really sick, screaming diarrhea, dumped a lot of weight and then aborted a month later. She was anemic and very thin by the time all was said and done and she went on Red Cell for quite a while.

She is fine now and in foal.

I too use it during show season...but my vet prefers Lixotinic....calls it the 'real stuff' over Red Cell. It is a mineral/iron supplement...a blood builder so to speak. First time I used it had a borderline anemic mini. I buy Lixotinic by the gallon and a plunger for it...and I give 2 full squirts of the plunger on grain once a day during training/show season. Vet says it helps keep their immune system strong to handle training, hauling, showing. He said what they dont need/use...they will elminate in their urine. Lixotinic is $50/gallon...Red Cell like $18/half gallon ruffly I think.

I have never noticed any type of nervousness, change in manners, etc...but every horse is different...like people. Some can drink coffee and go to bed...sleep like a baby...me...I'd be wide awake looking for something to do if I drank coffee in the evening. I think what Marty was getting at was properly administered like if a horse seems different on it in a bad way like one mentioned being mean...must not agree with her and she shouldnt have it.

I dont give it to my non-working horses unless they had a health issue that required it as in lethargic or trying to build their immune system back up from an illness.

Connie, thank you for posting! I had read a post some weeks back you wrote about Lixotinic but forgot to write the product down in my horse folder for reference. It is very much appreciated that you shared your experience/knowledge here with us. Thank You

Latest posts

Back