record heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
This is like the 6th day of 105 plus, is everyone okay? The hospitals have a lot of people coming in with heat exhaustion, the vet's office is full of animals that also are suffering.

Everybody here is fine but was just wondering how everyone else is doing.

Mary

It has been 100 here and the humidity is so high the windows all are fogged up and dripping with the moisture in the air!!

It is supposed to rain tomorrow and cool things to the 80's.. yeah, I cant wait!!

We are fine, just real sweaty!!

Hope everyone is taking care with this going on.

Missy

A man near me died while he was out plowing. Someone driving by saw his tractor going around in circles. They hurried to the family, and when they got back the tractor had driven into a ditch and died. The man was older, and his family tried to talk him out of plowing in the afternoon but he wouldn't listen. Tough old farmer!

It's a challenge keeping the flower beds pretty. If you don't water, they die. If you do water, the armadillos come rooting through the moist dirt and dig everything up. Even had a skunk digging holes, looking for grubs, near the porch. The deer come up and eat the tender flower buds.

The only thing good about all this dry heat, is we don't have any mosquitos and very few flies. Have to look on the sunny side, right?

So far, everyone and everything is fine here. I keep worrying about the newly weaned foals ( little over a week), but so far knock wood, they are okay. It is soooo hot, but at least no humidity so far!

We are so looking for relief. Monday was the day from you know where. We had one mare colic, a 9 day old foal with heat stroke and then to top it off the A/C went out! It's only in the 100's.
default_new_shocked.gif

Got the mare up and going, went to check babies and she is down and unresponsive. Put her under the hose and let it run, gave electrolytes, held ice bottles on her and prayed like crazy. After about an hour she finally opened her eyes and tried to stand. Little to close for comfort. She is going well today.

A/C is in and all is well.

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Keep hosing off the animals, and wetting the ground, and adding fresh water.... its a full-time job. I love summer, but it makes it torture when it goes over 100 degrees!!!!

Gosh you guys...and here I was really moaning and groaning when the temps hit 99 and the humidity is awful!!! But you guys sound as if your in the danger zone. We've had high dewpoints and red warnings...told to stay indoors along with the animals...hosing off the horses and keeping the sprinkler system on for the livestock....we certainly are not used to this heat and humidty. We're due for a front to come by and temps in the high 80's with lower humidity they say. Never thought I'd say this....but I'm REALLY looking forward to winter...cannot wait for fall!!!

We are halfway between Houston and Dallas, but our weather is usually closer to Dallas. A couple of days ago we had a storm come through with a major gust front, at least 40mph, nearly sustained. Dust, corn stalks, everything was flying. It was about 104 when that front came through. An hour later I went out to feed and it was 69. Thats nearly a 35 degree drop in one hour. Didnt last long though. Right now we are getting the very outer edge of Edouard, raining just enough to bring the humidity way up, it had been rather low.

Well... we haven't melted yet!
default_unsure.png
Right now it is currently 104 (in the shade at 4 pm) here at Creta, Oklahoma!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Like Marsha said, at least we don't have any flies or mosquitoes this year! But we don't have any grass either! It has all burned up and looks like winter already here. Give and take, I guess.

And wouldn't you know it our pump/well has decided to quit, we have no water! Lord what a mess.

It was 108 today & 20% humid. I keep going out and checking the babies. The youngest filly has 2 fans and the boys have a fan and others have tarp shades up.

WHEW!

Back