Recomended Trainers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean. The money is a BIG deal when showing. I think you can plan on about $3000 per year for having your mini shown. this number is based on experience and can go way up...or can be less if you just do the min shows to qualify, etc.

But you'll have to pay between $450 and $550 per month for training, cost of classes, a portion of transportation, shavings, body clipping, facials, a portion of the trainer (and their staff) hotel, food, etc. Then most charge a flat fee of $1500 for World or National, plus all the other fees of stalls, drug testing, etc. The local or regional shows run about $400 or so for fees plus your entries. I don't think I've ever spent less than $3000 per horse per year for showing once I added everything up. I've spent closer to $7000 per year when I had multiple horses out. I don't do that anymore!lol

Another thing I'd say is to have your head around "why" you're doing it. It can honestly be cheaper to buy a Champion, than to purchase a prospect and hope he or she makes it there. It's an expensive "ride" without any guarantees of a prestigious title -- but it can also be a lot of fun, excitment, and suspense along the way
default_yes.gif

However, in most cases, I don't think a person will re-coup the cost of training and expenses upon the sale of the horse (in case that is the ultimate plan), and don't think that you will rake in stud fees, either. That's not how it really goes with minis (a whole other topic!)
default_smile.png

Whatever you decide -- good luck and have fun
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I'd say is to have your head around "why" you're doing it. It can honestly be cheaper to buy a Champion, than to purchase a prospect and hope he or she makes it there. It's an expensive "ride" without any guarantees of a prestigious title -- but it can also be a lot of fun, excitment, and suspense along the way
default_yes.gif
Jill's advice is very wise as is Pamela's. When I first started looking into sending a horse out with a trainer, I was amazed by the cost. Never knew minis had facials before
default_yes.gif
until I started looking at the lists of itemized charges.

I think you send a horse out with a trainer because you know you have that special horse (and have had it verified by knowledgeable/experienced people) and want the excitement and fun of putting him/her out there.

It's a big decision and financial commitment. It's why I decided to hold off a year and make sure it was right for me and my horses. Best of luck with your trainer search and your boy.

There are so many good trainers out there. And I love seeing that there are lots of young ones that are doing so well. Move over old boys.

I have liked and been very happy with all the trainers that we have had. They all had different styles. But, I have told all of them, including Josh, who is showing for us now, " I am not paying you to please the Judges, I am paying you to please me, and present the kind of horses I raise." It's all about Mama."

It is fun, if the judges like what I raise, but if they do not I really don't give a hoot, I know what I like, and that is what I want to see presented by my trainer. I show to the public, not some judge that maybe has raised two poor miniature horses in his life and specializes another breed.

Of course if my horse never gets a ribbon, with 10 -12 judges, I would have to reavaluate.

Well my stallion was Top 5 at the AMHA world show. I've shown a bunch of friend pics from when he was younger and current and they think he is better now. Id like to give him the chance to compete and see how he will do with a professional trainer that has more experience than I do.

That's a great philosophy, LaVern! I remember seeing one with Josh in Sioux Falls that was stunning, and I think the judges agreed
default_smile.png

Showing is very expensive as Parm said and I think the 7000 is more in the ballpark of what it will cost. Make sure you ask about all the little show fees that will add up. If your trainer is bringing a bunch of their own horses, a bunch of horses for another client and then just your one but the cost of gas is split 3 ways and not by the number of horses, they are just after your money. Had that one this year. Also, you want him shown AMHA and he is 34" so go over what will happen if he doesn't measure in.

Versatility Farm and

Training Center in Brookville Ohio

shows AMHA and AMHRj- 26 years experience

reasonable prices excellent at helping the owner

[email protected]

I'm in agreement with the adjustment in price you made. I've had stallions and a few select mares shown by professional trainers over the years, and the least I paid was $8,000 for the year and $10,000 was the most per horse. This included AMHA Worlds or AMHR Nationals, as I couldn't afford to send them all to both each year I showed, and did have at least 2 horses out at a time. But all did well with trainers....Top Tens for all horses shown and Top Ten All Star placement(s) (one was a Top 3 as a yearling, and one almost completed his HOF his first year out in Halter) but I haven't shown in the past 4 years. I can't imagine it would be cheaper now, but I guess I could be wrong. Mine were also shown more than the "minimal" number of times to qualify for the national level shows, so I guess if you just did the minimal....it could be cheaper.

One trainer I used I was very pleased with (an East Coast trainer), and one I was very unsatisfied with (a Mid-west trainer). If you want to PM me, I will give the names, but I won't post them here.
Wow! I must've gotten by easy!lol Or maybe my accounting sucks!lol I do know the trainer I use is very frugal with his clients' monies, so that makes a difference. You can either say "take my horse to all the shows on your list" or you as the owner can pick and choose shows or just do only the shows local to him (TX) which cuts down on travel and hotel, enough to qualify and then do Nationals and Worlds. Although I think 2009 was probably my last Nationals and I'll just do Worlds from now on.

Mine too. I mean you can pick and choose what shows to go to. I really appreciate my trainer and the fact that he is sensitive to "it's my money" he's using.

How old was your stallion when he was Top Five and how old is how. How did he do at other shows. What is his show history? Did you own him when he was top five and if not, are you sure of the placing, you checked it out or are you going by what someone told you? There is alot that goes into picking a horse to show and yes it can go up to or over $10,000 a year to have a horse with a trainer. Then you add the cost of your travel if you want to watch your horse show and its with a trainer several hours or hundreds of miles away. There is nothing cheap about showing.

To start out, go watch shows in your area, join a club close by, got to know people and try showing yourself. If you can show amateur then use that, you can do very well at the national level by doing it yourself, just don't expect it the first year out. Be patient, learn from watching the best, most trainers will talk to you if they are not busy at a show. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't win without a trainer. We have done it several times, it just takes dedication to making your horse the best he can be and learning to groom and present at the top level.

Costs for ME to get to the shows are nearly as much as if I was trailering. For instance it's costing me about $700-800 for air and car at Nationals. Then I have to pay for the trailering etc. for my horses. BUT at my age it's getting real iffy as to whether I should be driving 14-16 hrs to get to a show. I know it tires me out to drive 6-7 hrs and takes me about 2 days to recover after a weekend. When you get in your 60s, it' not a matter of "Can I" but rather "Should I" be stressing myself that much.

I've figured in the past that I took my own horses entered classes and spent about $1000 or less per horse (not including a place to stay). I didn't do too shabby on placing either. But with a trainer, he has the stress of working the horse, getting him clipped, prepped for class and sometimes even the showing. Is the trophy/ribbon etc. worth it? Only a horse show enthusiast can answer yes to that. If you are showing horses you bred then it's to "prove" your breeding or get your farm name recognized. For me it's just for the fun of it. I love the people, the excitment, the horses and it's worth it.

Could you tell if someone was just trying to fill a training spot for the money and not because your horse is really that good? How would one be able to determine the motives of a trainer/handler? Are there specific things to ask or look for?
Ask people in the trainer's area that are NOT current clients or close friends. Ask previous clients and find out why they are no longer with that trainer. One thing that is a giant Red Flag - is the trainer showing a horse they have an interest in - maybe even own part of - instead of your horse in its class. I have seen that happen a few times and have always been appalled. The trainer is there to show YOUR horse on that class - and NO ONE else's. The mere fact that a trainer would think that is appropriate in any way just floors me - and did not think it was wrong when they were approached about it.

I have seen a trainer pick up a "catch" handle and show that horse that they were personally interested in as opposed to showing a client's horse in that same class.
default_no.gif

I'm in Vermont and I'm sending my horses out next season with Tony of Standing Ovation Farm. I've been talking to them for quite a while now and have the utmost respect for them. He and Janet always answer questions and take time with me as a newbie and I know they'll take great care of my kids which is important to me.
Where in VT are you? I live in Dorset and don't know anyone else who has mini's! Would love to chat with you!

How old was your stallion when he was Top Five and how old is how. How did he do at other shows. What is his show history? Did you own him when he was top five and if not, are you sure of the placing, you checked it out or are you going by what someone told you?
These are good points. It looks like your boy was shown as a weanling; he was 6th with 20 in the class. Those things are public, so it's always good for buyers to look that info up for themselves when buying so they can get the exact info. Maybe them saying he was top 5 with 25 or more in the class was just an innocent mistake? My point is there is a big difference between what a horse looks like as a weanling and as a senior horse. Just look at some of the horses that are junior horses and take grands at the World show...then look at them later. Some prove out...most don't. So please be careful when you pick a trainer to evaulate your horse as you, I'm assuming, aren't made of cash and therefore need to spend your money wisely. I'm not saying your horse isn't lovely, I'm just saying please be wise about your choices and mostly trust your gut.

Happy showing! It's a blast!

Here is my two cents, which aren't worth much, but I have had several out with trainers, all across the US. Make sure if you think you have 'the one' - that your motive is right, that you do your due diligence, you plan to visit your animal at the trainers several times during the year, unless you have a trainer that gives you updates, video, etc. I have had both, long distance and many within driving distance. The long distance trainers I trusted because they kept good communication, sent email updates, video, show photos and phone calls. I also made it to a show or two where the animal was being shown to check on progress. I also have had trainers who are 'mum's the word - and that irritates me to no end - they usually don't get another animal of mine. And I have a couple trusted trainers, but they expect me to show up at any time, anywhere. And if I say I want to show in a class, they are good enough to get the animal and I entered, so they have a combination of communication. But sight and being around my animals that tells me the most. If I can't walk into a stall at a show or in the training barn and the animal not react the way I expect them to- then something is wrong, but that's just me.

Know your intentions with what you want to accomplish - and realize that you may not have 'the one', learn to cut your losses early on if it doesn't work out. If your intention is to make a life longer - which means they will be used for other things than driving, that you plan for a trainer that understands that it does make a difference.

Make a career plan for your animal. If it is an HOF and/or National Grand Champion - be prepared to go the distance. And realize that if your career path for that animal is a long road - say you want HOF in halter and then driving - realize it doesn't happen overnight, it can take up to two years for an HOF in halter, up to 4 years for driving (depending on the animal, the career path, the division of driving, etc.). That is an investment.

Edited to add: WIth a career path in mind - going the distance means - does it just come back to your farm to retire after its HOF or does it stay in the ring for a future Amateur or youth to own someday?

With that said:

Robby Barth (although mostly R, he does attend shows that are both R and A) - does both halter and driving

Jason Bluer - does both halter and driving

Up and comer Michelle Herron-Sturtz - does both halter and driving

Good luck!

Having a trustworthy trainer can make your experience an enjoyable one. I would suggest that you should be able to drop in and visit your horse at any time. Some trainers will not take on a horse that has been so people oriented that it has lost its 'edge' at least in THEIR opinion. There is a belief out there that a horse can be taught 'presence', sorry, but that is an inborn thing in my experience, presence should be natural, a bug-eyed look of fear is not presence. Make sure your horse has the attitude to enjoy showing and training and traveling. It is a lovely thing to watch when a horse has 'it' and knows when to 'turn on' in the ring..

That being said, there are good trainers out there so take your time to find them.

Also, be aware that a trainer with a very large string could pass your horse off to an assistant in a conflicting class, if he has a horse he is more interested in.. They want to win, and will pick the horse they think will do it. This happens a lot in a championship class so be prepared.

Good luck!

That is true - be careful - always ask how many in that division and class your trainer has. Make sure if the assistant or spouse is as equally good to show your animal if they have two or more go to the grand class. I have had that many times with Robby Barth - but I will say every member of his team can take the animals back into the Grand Class and compete against each other very well. I have no issues with that if they truly show each animal to its fullest potential - and Robby's team is quite capable of doing just that.

I have seen Robby's team take 3 back into the Grand class and all three come out with the Ribbons.

Latest posts

Back