Recomended Trainers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
I am thinking about sending my stallion to a trainer. I'd like to have him with a trainer whos done alot of amha and amhr shows at the national and world level. My boys 3 and id like to get him to the worlds agian. Id love everyone input.

It depends how far you are willing to send your horse-- these may be too south-ward for you.

Mike McCabe--located in Ohio

Aloha Acres NC-- I don't know how he selects his horses to be trained but I would imagine it would have to be a very top notch horse

Tony Benvenuto/Standing Ovation Farm--Virginia

I'm in Vermont and I'm sending my horses out next season with Tony of Standing Ovation Farm. I've been talking to them for quite a while now and have the utmost respect for them. He and Janet always answer questions and take time with me as a newbie and I know they'll take great care of my kids which is important to me.

Tony and Janet are SO nice
default_yes.gif

3 that we have personally used--

Tony and Janet /Standing Ovation Farm--Virginia -are fantastic

Danielle Hill Training Center- Delaware- is also fantastic

James Walsh is fantastic too but he is in Texas now

You have candyland miniatures in Fl and they are great. You have Tony and Janet and they are great too. You have mike wahl and he is good. You have aloha they are great.

Aloha is in Nc

Mike wahl is in Tn

Tony and Janet is in Va

Candyland miniatures is in Fl

I used James Walsh for 2 years. . .reasonable fees, no unexpected charges. . .great with his horses. . .fantastic trainer !! I will go to him again when I get the right horse.

I think my boys really good quality he was Top 5 at AMHA world show. Id like to see him go agian as a 4 year old.

There is Ashley Harris in Ohio. She does a nice job and you could get him trained to drive and jump as well and end up with an all around horse.

Versatility

Farm and Training Center- Ashley Harris

Brookville Ohio does AMHA and AMHR, halter and performance

Ive used several over the years, here is who I would reccomend.

Bill Eperthener in York Springs PA

Eileen Braccio Shes in Kentucky now, not sure what town. She moved from PA.

Jason Prince - Herscher Illinois, I bought a horse Jason trained, and there isnt a hole in his training anywhere.

Arlene Foulk in Pleasantville OH - She had my yearling colt this season, and I was very very happy with her communication, training and my colts conditioning.

Pick the best you can afford...but also make sure you feel the trainer is taking the money because they think they can win with your horse, not because they need to fill a training spot. With you already have the impression your horse is "good" you are more likely to think that everyone wants your horse because they feel the same way. Totally natural. Just try to make sure they really do and don't just want that monthly fee. There is nothing worse than spending $2 or $3k during a show season only to come home with nothing or a 10th place ribbon. We can do that on our own without spending thousands!lol If you're going to spend that money, you want one of the top spots, not a ribbon, right?

I've used many over the years. The ones I would go back to are:

(in no particular order)

Laura and Joe Tenill of Ten L in KY

Ed Sisk and Val Escalera of Blue Ribbon in TX

Jason Prince of Excaliber in IL (haven't actually used them, but have shown with/next to them for many years and see how their horses are treated/conditioned)

I have had Jason Prince (Excaliber Stable) show a horse for me for 3 years now. We just finished getting my double reg. Shetland his HOF in Park Harness! ( only took 2 years) which is quite an accomplishment. What I like most is Jason will tell you straight up what he thinks - no double talk.

This past year he "tuned up" my mini and what a difference. This boy was lazy and difficult to "work". He came home knowing what his job was and willing to do it!

Could you tell if someone was just trying to fill a training spot for the money and not because your horse is really that good? How would one be able to determine the motives of a trainer/handler? Are there specific things to ask or look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter who you choose to show your horse, if you can't trust them it will never be fun. Also know that it will cost up front to have trainers come to evaluate your horses, most don't want to depend on pictures or a video, they want to see it in the flesh and they don't do it for free. Your best bet is to start with a trainer close to you, build a relationship with them, see how it works. Then if you are in the position to have other trainers in the future, you will be educated. This is alot of money, you want to make sure what you spend counts. You want wins, so make sure your up front with your expectations, what you want out of the deal. And never berate a trainer for telling you the truth, if your horse isn't the quality to be top five at World, its not the trainers fault, so don't take it out on them. Be happy they were honest enough to not just take your money. We are using a trainer this year for the first time in several years. Its been fun, our horse is winning and its been good. The horse is in TX, I'm not, so if I didn't trust my trainer, it could be a bad deal. Luckily I have a trainer that I trust.

Could you tell if someone was just trying to fill a training spot for the money and not because your horse is really that good? How would one be able to determine the motives of a trainer/handler? Are there specific things to ask or look for?
Great questions and there aren't any easy answers I don't think. But here's some of what I look for or shy away from and also some of the things that've been said to me that turned me off.

If you don't like my horse, go ahead and tell me. But do it in way that educates me. Point out what flaws you see and spend a few minutes explaining it to me/helping me to see it too.

Don't over promise things to me. There is NO way a trainer can guarantee a win unless they are bribing a judge, so don't insult my intelligence by doing that.

Don't take my horse as a "back up" for one you already have in the barn in the same class. Or at least tell me that's what you're doing.

Explain to me, up front, how it's going to work when the trainer has multiple horses going back into the grand class.

Don't tell me you'll take my horse sight unseen, because then I know you're just in it for the money and care nothing about the actual quality of my horse. Also don't tell me you know my horse will do well as a senior horse just because they did as a junior horse. NOT always true. If you just tell me that, you're probably just out for my money.

I also would run as fast as I could from a trainer that said or did anything to indicate that my horse would be forced or scared into doing anything. I can't tell you how many horses I see waiting for a class to start that are completely terrified of the person at the end of the lead. I may back my horse up a bit or do something to get its attention before we walk in the gate, but my horse in never terrified of me. Never.

Hiring a trainer for the first time is never easy. Trust your gut, ask around, ask for references, do look ups on the net, find people (other than the references they give you) that have used them and find out why they no longer do, go to shows and WATCH the trainers you are considering.

wow alot of info to take on. Johnny did great in the show ring but i know from how he can be they studed him out after. Hes not super fit but i honestly feel hes going to do really good in the ring. Ive been looking in ny but havent seen any trainers here. I dont like trainers who use fear my aqha mare can be very difficult at times and i may use a firm hand but shes not scared of me. heck i just got invited to the aqha world yesterday with her but i cant afford to go :-( its $285 for her aged mare class then i figure atleast $1000 traveling and id need to send her to a trainer for a little. This years just too tight we are trying to get house and barn finished at new property.

Latest posts

Back